Simple MA Strategy

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here is a simple MA strategy:

1. You move into your punching range by your favor footwork.
2. Assume both you and your opponent end with right leg forward.
3. If his face is open, you right punch at his face.
4. If his face is not open, you use left hand to parry down his leading right arm, you then right punch at his face.
5. If he doesn't dodge or block it, you hit him.
6. If he dodges your right punch, you left punch at his face
7. If he blocks your right punch, you use your right punching hand to grab his blocking arm, pull his blocking arm, you then left punch at his face.

In other words, if your opponent

- dodges your 1st punch, It's just a simple "jab, cross".
- blocks your 1st punch, you add a "grab, pull" and make it into "jab, grab, pull, cross".

What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look, I'm going to be honest… blunt, even.

This is nothing special at all. You misunderstand and misuse the term "strategy" consistently and constantly, when you're actually talking about simplistic tactics or specific techniques… and, frankly, this is what I would consider a beginners, amateur's approach. It's completely lacking in insight, understanding, and is an attempt to logically think your way through without understanding the actual interplay and influences involved. You seem to want to present all fighting methods as being able to have a script that can be followed, like a mathematical or scientific formula, so you can predict and determine how things will go… and reality simply isn't like that. Additionally, you're missing an incredible amount of information in the potential variables to actually discuss whether or not this is even "good" in the first place. It's really just a different wording of "hit them, and if you don't hit them the first time, because they block or move, hit them a different way". It's a non-idea, frankly.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

OK so far.

Not sure why I would do that. I'm right-handed and I assume most people are also. Right-handed people tend to favor a left-foot-forward stance, which puts the right hand to the rear as the 'power' hand instead of the 'jabbing' hand.

I will proceed with the rest as if my LEFT foot was forward if you don't mind.

In my case with reversed footing, I assume it would be a left jab to the face. Yes, that's normal.

However, just because a person's face is open and you jab at it, that doesn't mean you're going to land the punch. They can parry, trap, get out of the way. A lot depends on their speed versus your speed, their reaction time versus your reaction time, etc. By all means, if they are open and you're fast enough, pop them one right in the snot locker.

4. If his face is not open, you use left hand to parry down his leading right arm, you then right punch at his face.

I don't see that as a given, no matter which hand you use to 'parry down' his lead. Many boxers keep their hands up near their face. You're not going to reach out and move one of those hands without drawing a punch.

Going back to your jab scenario, yes.

Perhaps. Depends a lot of how he dodges. If he moves back or to your offhand side, you're not going to be punching his face with the opposite hand unless you wish to overextend and offbalance yourself.

7. If he blocks your right punch, you use your right punching hand to grab his blocking arm, pull his blocking arm, you then left punch at his face.

I may be misunderstanding your instructions, but I don't see that happening. If I am the opponent and I block or redirect a punch, I will be doing my best to trap it. Assuming I am successful, the person doing the attack won't be grabbing anything with that hand; I own it.

- blocks your 1st punch, you add a "grab, pull" and make it into "jab, grab, pull, cross".

I think it is fairly basic sparring technique, but it makes a lot of assumptions about how things will go.

If I were lined up across from a sparring partner and wanted to run a similar drill, it might look like this, but the results are always dependent on the reactions of my partner, so everything can change in an instant:

1) Line up left foot forward, hands up protecting my face. Knees bent, body turned at an angle. Balance over my one-point.
2) If partner's face is open, jab at it with the leading left. If it is not open, jab at it with the leading left anyway, to draw a reaction.
3) If partner doesn't block or deflect the punch, or move out of range, he gets punched. If he does block or parry, throw the right as a cross, straight, overhand, or uppercut, whichever fits best with the type of reaction the partner exhibits.
4) If he moves back, close the distance with footwork and continue to throw jabs and power punches as you pursue. Take him off balance, move him into a corner, take him to the edge of the ring or fighting circle. Counter any attempt by the opponent to move to the side with footwork and heat.
5) If the partner starts to concentrate on your hands, kick him. Barring any desire to kick to the groin or body joints in partner sparring, front snap kick to the balance points, such as hips and belly. Concentrate on speedy kicks that deliver pushing power to off-balance rather than hurt the partner. Always follow a kick with more punches.

Just as an aside, lining up right foot forward against a right-handed person is probably a mistake in this type of sparring unless you can move quickly. You expose your midsection to their right roundhouse kick, which would be their power kick. If you intend to draw that kick so you can counter, cool. If not, blammo.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If I'm on top of you, cancelling your height, width, and depth zones , and striking at you, I ain't missing. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just an aside, there is way you can move when you can't miss, that will actually hurt you, if you did; so, there are different ways of striking at different ranges, and situations. If you wanted. :)

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like to open with a nice snap kick, that then leads to a mirage of variables depending how my sparring partner reacts to the kick....your scenario does nothing to address this.....or any kicks....who says your sparring partner is only going to use their hands.....

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
my particular strategy follows a force continuum ...
walk away,,
make them walk away,,
make them say owww,
make their body snap, crackle and pop,
make them bleed,
make them physically unable to continue,,
make them emotionally lose the will to fight,

and when all else fails make them regret the day they were born and all the days following and choices that led up to this moment.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KFW, what kind of rules are we going by? Sweeps, takedowns?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think this "strategy" needs to go back to the drawing board.

When I think of strategy, I think of ways to approach a situation. For example, here's a beginner's strategy that I teach.
The way a person stands will dictate what type of attacks you'll get. Open stance reduces the variety of attacks while close stance increases the variety of attacks. Use Open or Close stance to exploit the weakness of your opponent. I say this because not everyone has equal quality of strikes. Some people can strike and evade better with right foot forward while others are better with left foot forward. It's possible exploit weaknesses by using an open or closed stance.

The only real script that you can plan is probably only 2 or 3 moves deep and it's usually a 1-2-3 (1&2 sets up 3) combo or a 1-2 (1 sets up 2) combo.

A person would probably only get to 3 in this scenario against me. I only put 3 steps because 4. would be me countering.
4. Me countering

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KFW, what kind of rules are we going by? Sweeps, takedowns?
It's general strategy which has nothing to do with "sport" or "street".

May be I have used too many words to describe a very simple idea. Let me try to make it as simple as the following:

Do you treat your punch just as a punch? Or do you treat your punch as a "punch followed by a pull"?

When you use a "spear", a stab is just a stab.

spear.jpg

When you use a "spear with a hook on it", a stab is not only a stab, you can use it to pull back anything that you can hook on it.

spear_with_hook_1.jpg

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strategy is 'what' are you wanting to accomplish with a general overall plan to do so.
Tactics is the 'how', the particular plan or step by step actions you will deploy to accomplish your goal.

Latest Discussions