strikes to the knee

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to say destroying a knee is remarkably easy and effective. it is one of tools and one of my first off selections for any real altercation.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually lead off with a good kick to the thigh or knee, whichever presents itself. The advantage is that there is little likelyhood of brain damage(unless they fall and hit their head) and they save face by no blows being delivered at a level where most of the on-lookers will be focused. It may sound crazy, but that is my experience on why/how it works.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Someone said it before, but it is worth repeating - a kick to the knee is most effective when the weight is on it. That's why they taught us to keep our feet moving in football - it's common to get hit in the knees. The simple defense against a knee kick is simply to raise that leg.

However, it seems that a lot of the "street fighting" these days uses almost a wrestler or boxer stance, which keeps the weight distributed on both knees, if not a little toward the front. If that's the case, distract them with a jab (but not too deep, you don't want him to lean back!) and take out the knee, either to the kneecap straight on, or a round kick to the side of the knee. If you get lucky enough to throw a side kick to the side of their knee, they won't be getting up on their own for weeks.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll go out on a limb here (pun intended) and say that I know how to take a leg kick, but even so, the years of wear on my knees are why I had to stop fighting. I am 35. At age 25 my doctor told me my knees were 80 due to all of the abuse I took to them.

For someone not prepared for a knee kick, a single strong strike can be devastating - totally.

I was taught to target the outside of the leg (knee) in sport, and the inside of the leg (knee) in combat, but in order to destroy the knee to target the front of the knee and kick straight into it.

If at all possible, of course... ;)

Latest Discussions