Star Trek + Red Shirt = not so good

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now, come on... Scotty wore a red shirt the whole time, and he didn't die - it's only characters in red shirts who aren't regulars - every time one of them shows up - WATCH OUT!!!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As an aside, I could not suggest a more fitting denouement to your next Trek Party :D than William Shatner's "Has Been", if you can get it.. Sung in his own, ahem, inimitable style has a great and actually really poignant track done with Ben Folds I think "That's me Trying", no really. Cool cover of Pulp's Common People too.. No I mean it.. :)

Anyways, never mind the colour of the shirts, at least when TNG happened, they had acquired a ship's tailor with a better eye for fit! Spandex, pffft..

Kirk was an anachronism even in the day, sez me. I say writers can never better Jean Luc Picard for a fair and evenhanded captain. NEVER I say!! Though they did try, pity them. What a load of humourless trash was DS9 and only marginally less so, Janeway and her fawning, tamed-renegade crew. Sorry, but it is all incontestable truth ;) If JLP were my earthly boss, I would never go home :D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never, ever, thought of it that way Jenna :bow:.

Kirk was certainly John Wayne/Gary Cooper in his straight approach to problems. Picard as Bruce Lee tho' ... hmm ... I'm not so sure. The (fictional) man was a consumate diplomat/wordsmith as well as a keen strategist and a staunch tactician. Reminds me more of a Nelson/Churchill/Shakespeare hybrid :).

As to his supposedly being of French extraction - clearly he was as English as the day is long :p.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh I so agree! JLP was hot! hot! hot! Never a better captain there will be!

Two things that were inevitable about an original star trek episode:

1) Kirk will get into a fight where his shirt will get ripped.

2) Kirk always gets laid by the green/purple/orange/sparkly..whatever chick. Makes you wonder how many human half breeds were around the universe! :lol2:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Two things that were inevitable about an original star trek episode:

1) Kirk will get into a fight where his shirt will get ripped.

2) Kirk always gets laid by the green/purple/orange/sparkly..whatever chick. Makes you wonder how many human half breeds were around the universe! :lol2:

And whatever woman Kirk gets romantically involved with.... later dies.

I do believe the female companions of Kirk have less of a chance of survival than a red shirt :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was always waiting for an explanation to that Frenchman with an English accent thing.

ummm.... aaaaaa... its the Federation there is no longer a France :idunno:

aaaaa... by the time JLP is born every other country has realized that it is just plain silly to NOT speak english and only english all those other languages just make it to confusing

hmmmm....I GOT IT!!!!! Babelfish...DAMN wrong Sifi show

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And whatever woman Kirk gets romantically involved with.... later dies.

I do believe the female companions of Kirk have less of a chance of survival than a red shirt :D

Now, c'mon... half of them didn't die, they ended up married to someone else!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, c'mon... half of them didn't die, they ended up married to someone else!
Well, some of them did.
Edith Keeler, played by Joan Collins who was hot looking back then.
That Indian princess, Miramani (?) who was so hot... died

But yeah, some did get married or went off with their own species
(shoot, forgot the name of the episode) the aliens who adopted human form and were able to shrink crew members into polygons (cubes).

Some of them were just plain psycho and one was a salt vampire.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Picard as Bruce Lee tho' ... hmm ... I'm not so sure. The (fictional) man was a consumate diplomat/wordsmith as well as a keen strategist and a staunch tactician.

.. EXACTLY my friend - a succinct description of Bruce Lee.. Philosopher, writer, tactician etc. etc. But I am off in happy digressions.. :)

Yay Lisa!! And I am not generally a fan of shorn men and but I will make the exception for JLP anydays :D The combination of intellect and sensitivity and manliness without the Kirk machismo, wow.. ahem.. sorry. Tea, Earl Grey, hot!!!

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmpph. For what it's worth, in my opinion, the best man for the job never wanted it. ;)

I 'grok Spock'...and wish we could have seen a series with a Vulcan at the helm.

.. EXACTLY my friend - a succinct description of Bruce Lee.. Philosopher, writer, tactician etc. etc. But I am off in happy digressions.. :)

Yay Lisa!! And I am not generally a fan of shorn men and but I will make the exception for JLP anydays :D The combination of intellect and sensitivity and manliness without the Kirk machismo, wow.. ahem.. sorry. Tea, Earl Grey, hot!!!

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmpph. For what it's worth, in my opinion, the best man for the job never wanted it. I 'grok Spock'...and wish we could have seen a series with a Vulcan at the helm.

Well if we are going to look at "the best man for the job" scenario then give me Warf any day...so sexy, so tough and yet so human. :D

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A good second in command...but...as a tactician...nope. But have admit...a guy who knows how to use a 'sword' has his uses. ;):knight2:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's one trivia...
Name a redshirt that wasn't a redshirt but still got killed off while on a landing party. and name the episode.

Latest Discussions