Stance Work & WC Steps

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait a second I just got a flashback is the Tok sau the bit from the dummy form where both hands push up with the palms underneath the arms of the dummy ? If so I know that technique .

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Besides, I really think Dai Sau's got have been in WC for a long time. Bong Sau just doesn't make alot of sense without it. Sifu's saying that your turned into bong sau all the time...

I agree with you on this one Si-Je. In my WT we often used that movement against long hooking punches, but we didn't call it "dai-sau". I see it emphasized less nowadays. Still, its like my si-hing Emin said on one of those videoclips you posted where he discussed how a student might have missed the momentary transition through bong sau in one of his attacks, and then showed how it could have just been called "swinging arm" in that context. It's not about the name... or even the technique. It's about the energy. The form of the techniques constantly changes as they flow from one into the next. At each instant the technique will assume a different shape as it flows with or around your opponent's arms and body. The names are just arbitrary labels used for convenience.

BTW, we finally, finally got high-speed connect so I can actually watch all the great clips you guys post links to. I feel like I'm coming out of my cave at last! And thanks for the great links.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you on this one Si-Je. In my WT we often used that movement against long hooking punches, but we didn't call it "dai-sau". I see it emphasized less nowadays. Still, its like my si-hing Emin said on one of those videoclips you posted where he discussed how a student might have missed the momentary transition through bong sau in one of his attacks, and then showed how it could have just been called "swinging arm" in that context. It's not about the name... or even the technique. It's about the energy. The form of the techniques constantly changes as they flow from one into the next. At each instant the technique will assume a different shape as it flows with or around your opponent's arms and body. The names are just arbitrary labels used for convenience.

BTW, we finally, finally got high-speed connect so I can actually watch all the great clips you guys post links to. I feel like I'm coming out of my cave at last! And thanks for the great links.

I feel you about the high-speed! We just got off dial-up! ack! That's why I didn't chat her much for a long while there.
I agree with you about the names and such. They are really best for conversation and talking about theory and technique. When you actually DO WT/WC your not thinking, 'okay, I'm going to do dai sau, then bui gee, then turn their body, heel kick as I step, etc, etc.' (I've done that thought train before and that's ALWAYS when I mess up really bad! lol!
I've seen guieterrez do like a dai sau/hook punch motion alot in his videos. Gave me alot of neat ideas for that type of movement and applicaiton. Don't know what he refers to it as. (I call it dai-punch, or dai-choy) :)
But whatever ya call it is okay.
I like that video of Sifu Emin, he's funny. Especially when he squeals like the "student" freaking out, "sifu! what's this?!" Cute, funny stuff. I've totally been THAT student. And I can identify, lol!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ha , next you will be telling us you got rid of the VCR and the cassette tape player . :)

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. An Yip man sil lim tau has a tok sau. right before the three gan saus and chaing punch. the bong sau-tan sau-tok sau.

At the end you will see Wong Shun Leung Do

Bong Sau
Tan Sau
Tok Sau

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8631199261021089341&ei=rQlGSbuJBYfIqAKL9pidDw&q=Sil+Lim+Tao+Wong+Shun+Leung

http://video.google.com/videosearch...=N&tab=pv#q=Sil Lim Tao Wong Shun Leung&emb=0

Wait a second I just got a flashback is the Tok sau the bit from the dummy form where both hands push up with the palms underneath the arms of the dummy ? If so I know that technique .

Last edited:

Latest Discussions