Choreography and its effects on the principles of stance and body mechanics

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Abstract
In my newest school, we are learning more detail about how to use our hips to generate power in using the stance, than we did in my old school. One thought that occurred to me is that the choreography of the Taegeuk forms (which are the main forms at my current school, and more of an afterthought at my old school) being more forward-focused leads to more front stances, and therefore more nuance in the front stance is going to be learned.

As a simple example, in Koryo, you would perform the low knife block and arc strike in front stance, but with a slightly different angle of the body when doing each technique. The way I originally learned Koryo was with more of a Palgwe style, in which we would do the low knife block in back stance, and shift into front stance. This was based on the previous forms, in which there are more shifts forward and back.

Discussion
I've gone through three sets of eight forms, and analyzed them in terms of how often each stance is used. What I've done is count each technique* by what stance it is performed in. For example, in Taegeuk 4, the last step consisting of inside block and double punch would count as three instances of a technique in front stance. I've excluded most chambers, with a few exceptions (most notably in Taegeuk 7, the chamber for the low X block, after the double under punch). The main stances I covered are walking, front, kick*, back, and horse, and cat. Anything that is less than 5% of a form set, I lumped into "other". There are a lot of one-off stances (such as crossing stances) that all got lumped into the "other" category, regardless of form set. I counted kicks separately, because if you do a kick it's usually a transition between stances instead of a stance in itself.

The three sets of forms I covered are the Taegeuk forms, the official Palgwe forms (based entirely off of watching Youtube videos), and the unofficial Palgwe forms I learned at my last school. Each set is 8 forms, which tend to cover from a roughly intermediate level to the black belt test. Here is what I found:

Taegeuk
  • Front Stance - 39%
  • Walking Stance - 20%
  • Kicks - 18%
  • Back Stance - 10%
  • Cat Stance - 6%
  • Other - 7%
Palgwe
  • Front Stance - 49%
  • Back Stance - 28%
  • Kicks - 12%
  • Horse Stance - 6%
  • Other - 5%
My Old School
  • Front Stance - 44%
  • Back Stance - 22%
  • Kicks - 14%
  • Horse Stance - 10%
  • Other - 10%
Ratios
What I really want to highlight is the ratio of front stance to back stance. And, for the sake of this, I'm going to lump horse stance in with back stance, and walking stance in with front stance. This will make sense with the point I'm going to make in a minute. This gives you:
  • Taegeuk - 59:12
  • Palgwe - 49:34
  • My old school - 44:32 (or 11:8)
What you'll notice is that while front stances dominate in all of these forms, it's roughly a 40% increase over bladed stances in the Palgwe style, and a 400% increase in the Taegeuk.

What This Means
I believe the Palgwe style of stances is more about teaching how to use weight distribution and momentum. There seems to be a greater emphasis placed on managing range through squaring up or blading off of your opponent. Most stance shifts happen off of the back foot.

The Taegeuk style of stances is more about teaching how to use smaller adjustments in the hips to generate power. There seems to be a greater emphasis placed on connecting the body together kinetically, where the Palgwe style is more about connecting the body structurally. Most stance shifts happen off of the front foot. There are a greater quantity of subtle range adjustments in doing so.

I think if someone were to take and try and do the Taegeuk forms in the Palgwe style, they would miss out on a lot. The Palgwe style is better suited for the stance shifts that just aren't in the Taegeuk forms in any great quantity. Doing the Taegeuk forms in the Palgwe style robs them of what they can teach you. If you're not doing the microadjustments that take advantage of the front stance, then you're just doing simple forms.

Similarly, I've recently tried applying the principles I'm learning in my new, Taegeuk-focused school into a Palgwe style of form. It does not have the same detrimental effect as the previous switch. However, what I found is that it seemed to flow better by eliminating the back stance and just going front stance heavy. For example, at my old school we had a beginner form called Kibon 4. (We had 5 Kibons). Kibon 4 had a line which consisted of many block-punch combos. Block in back stance, punch in front stance, step forward and repeat. Doing this line in the Taegeuk style, and it flowed better if blocks and punches were in front stance. After a couple of tries, I was able to make it flow somewhat with the stance shifts, but then you run into the problem that the momentum is lost.

But, let's put this into the context of my cross-training. I've done Hapkido, and recently started BJJ and Muay Thai. I find the Palgwe style to be much better for the grappling arts. The stances we use in Palgwe are more similar to the stances we use in Hapkido, and the weight distribution and momentum seems to help me better in BJJ. However, in Muay Thai, I find the more squared stances of the Taegeuk form help me better with the Muay Thai squared stance. My Muay Thai/MMA coach (who's also one of the BJJ black belts at my gym) has actually said that he thinks TKD stances translate better to MMA than Muay Thai does, so maybe the Palgwe style is helpful there as well.

So What's the Point?
This kind of goes to my general point about the "my martial art can beat up your martial art" discussions, in which a lot of thought is given to what I know, what I've trained, and why it was taught to me that way, without a lot of thought given to why someone else may have learned something in a different way.

And sometimes, maybe the answer to why someone didn't learn the same principles you did, is their forms teach different principles. Or at least were interpreted a different way.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The general theory is that TMA was developed in different areas and cultures likely originating in India / China and migrating to Okinawa, Japan and then Korea. Part of that theory is that forms / systems developed differently due to differing body types and even the terrain in the area. As we know the Korean forms were heavily based on the Shotokan forms which were based on the Okinawan Shorin and Shorei systems with Shorin being the Okinawan derivation of Shaolin. So, as some theories go the Chinese being leaner and lankier than the Okinawans favored arcing / circular motions to deflect and generate power whereas the Stockier Okinawans were better suited to attack and defend head on. Some also considered different terrain such as more mountainous areas favoring certain stances / techniques over flatter areas. So when the Koreans developed recent form systems whoever was in charge just picked what they liked from what they knew.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the Palgwe style of stances is more about teaching how to use weight distribution and momentum. There seems to be a greater emphasis placed on managing range through squaring up or blading off of your opponent. Most stance shifts happen off of the back foot.

The Taegeuk style of stances is more about teaching how to use smaller adjustments in the hips to generate power. There seems to be a greater emphasis placed on connecting the body together kinetically, where the Palgwe style is more about connecting the body structurally. Most stance shifts happen off of the front foot. There are a greater quantity of subtle range adjustments in doing so.

And sometimes, maybe the answer to why someone didn't learn the same principles you did, is their forms teach different principles. Or at least were interpreted a different way.

Be careful here.... you may end up saying things I would say.... all this talk about the principles being taught by the forms, and all the things that go beyond "just doing simple forms."

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Be careful here.... you may end up saying things I would say.... all this talk about the principles being taught by the forms, and all the things that go beyond "just doing simple forms."
I never said forms don't teach principles. I've just disagreed with you on how they're taught and which ones they are.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, as some theories go the Chinese being leaner and lankier than the Okinawans favored arcing / circular motions to deflect and generate power whereas the Stockier Okinawans were better suited to attack and defend head on.
I'm always skeptical about arguments that "art x from region y follows certain principles because the inhabitants of region y have a particular body type (small, tall, lanky, stocky, whatever) that works well for those principles."

The reason for my skepticism is that even if the inhabitants of that region do have a certain body type, they will spend most of their time fighting against other inhabitants of the same region who have the same body type, so it cancels out. Being stocky doesn't give you any advantage in head-on attacks if you are doing it against someone else who is equally stocky.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems to me that you may be over analyzing this in terms of stances. Coming from a system that has a form specifically dedicated to stances so much that nothing else is done in the form (no kicking, punching, or blocking.) You could do this form with your hands in your pockets.. Sometimes drilling down to things in a micro level causes us to miss what is going on.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reason for my skepticism is that even if the inhabitants of that region do have a certain body type, they will spend most of their time fighting against other inhabitants of the same region who have the same body type, so it cancels out. Being stocky doesn't give you any advantage in head-on attacks if you are doing it against someone else who is equally stocky.
My understanding Martial Arts is that all techniques are based on someone who is the same height as you. Strikes, punches and kicks, are based on my height. I don't have any techniques that are based on fighting someone who is much shorter or who is much taller than me.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My understanding Martial Arts is that all techniques are based on someone who is the same height as you. Strikes, punches and kicks, are based on my height. I don't have any techniques that are based on fighting someone who is much shorter or who is much taller
I support TKD moving away from weight classes in favor of height classes.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My understanding is that the environment played a role in martial styles. But that idea might be most useful in understanding that we might want to consider our environment when choosing our own style.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I support TKD moving away from weight classes in favor of height classes.
I like this. If I had to deal with a challenge then I rather deal with weight challenges of someone who is my same height. At that point I can still do things like kicks to the head. When there's a height difference then a lot of the upper techniques are no longer useful. Like me trying to upper cut someone on the chin at 6ft won't happen unless that person comes down to my level. If a person is the same height, then it doesn't matter if they are heavier or lighter. The chin is still right there at my level. Having to go against someone who is taller and heavier is almost an impossible mission in terms of striking.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The general theory is that TMA was developed in different areas and cultures likely originating in India / China and migrating to Okinawa, Japan and then Korea. Part of that theory is that forms / systems developed differently due to differing body types and even the terrain in the area. As we know the Korean forms were heavily based on the Shotokan forms which were based on the Okinawan Shorin and Shorei systems with Shorin being the Okinawan derivation of Shaolin. So, as some theories go the Chinese being leaner and lankier than the Okinawans favored arcing / circular motions to deflect and generate power whereas the Stockier Okinawans were better suited to attack and defend head on.
This was the conventional theory going around when I started karate in the 60's . Northern peoples (in China, Japan and Korea) having a more rugged build and stronger more direct style, and Southern peoples (in China, Okinawa and SE Asia) having a slighter build and so a more agile, softer style. I must say, by appearance, this seems to be true.

Perhaps there is some actual truth to this. But laid upon this template are culture and history's passage of time as MA evolved. By this I mean the influence of things like Taoist thought, regimented curriculum, and later, sport. So, the issue may be cloudier than simple environment and body type. This is about as far as I can take this and am reluctant to take a strong stand on the matter other than what I've written here. I'm content to let it remain as an interesting note on TMA lore.

I'm always skeptical about arguments that "art x from region y follows certain principles because the inhabitants of region y have a particular body type (small, tall, lanky, stocky, whatever) that works well for those principles."
There are some stories of the agility of Okinawan Isshinryu's Master, Shimabuku Tatsuo, being able to climb a telephone pole up and down, head first both ways (I've seen a photo that suggests this). But his younger brother, Eizo, Shorinryu master (both studied under Master Kyan) was just as agile, maybe even more so, judging by a few rare, videos of him.

The thing is, Eizo's most famous student, Joe Lewis, was one of the strongest fighters in karate competitive history. As a rugged, bodybuilding Marine, Joe was feared in the ring. His style could not look more different than his teacher's. But Joe was known for tournaments, and sport means deviating from the original TMA style in order to score points. But aside from the obvious change of look, perhaps other elements of Shorinryu's (agile) style were still present, but harder to see such as timing and explosiveness.

I agree that most anyone can do most any common style and adapt it to their own self. I've seen stout and strong men excel in a particular style, as well as light, fast ones. The same principles are there, it's just that one guy uses some of them more or less than the other, according to which best aid him as an individual.

My understanding Martial Arts is that all techniques are based on someone who is the same height as you. Strikes, punches and kicks, are based on my height. I don't have any techniques that are based on fighting someone who is much shorter or who is much taller than me.
I don't think it's the "art" that bases its techniques on this, but rather the basic teaching of that art. To visualize an opponent the same size allows the student to more easily focus on an identifiable target while practicing and develop accuracy.

Another point is that as TMA developed, the local populations were quite homogenous, much more than in today's world, so most people in a given region were about the same size, not like today in our multicultural society, especially in the West.

I think fighting someone of a different size is not taught enough. There are footwork, techniques and tactics that must be adapted. Not having these adaptations practiced can make fighting a taller fighter frustrating.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
think fighting someone of a different size is not taught enough. There are footwork, techniques and tactics that must be adapted. Not having these adaptations practiced can make fighting a taller fighter frustrating.
I don't cover this too much in regular group classes, but I definitely get into it when coaching individual students.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't cover this too much in regular group classes, but I definitely get into it when coaching individual students.
I think this is something a little bit simpler to do in TKD, because it's much easier for a short person to get close enough to stifle kicks, than it is to stifle elbows in Muay Thai.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think fighting someone of a different size is not taught enough.
If everyone in your town, city, state, or country are roughly the same size then there would be no need to teach to fight someone of a different size. The legends found in martial arts lore are often people who were taller than normal.

Based on this site Trend of the average height of Japanese men - How much is it in Tokyo?

The average height for a Japanese male in 1900 was 5'2. If that's the average height was 5'2" there would be no need to develop a technique to fight someone who was taller. I'm sure there were taller people back then, but not many. I like this site better for size Average height of men by year of birth

But in terms of today's martial arts. I agree with you. Techniques on how to fight people who are larger than you should be the norm and not the exception. It presents a great opportunity for a school to blaze the trail for that. I wish I would have put more thought into it when I was teaching. From a marketing point. There's definitely money to be made in that. From a martial arts point. All martial arts systems could use a refresh in that context..

I think you are 100% correct. It's just not taught enough.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It could be a great opportunity to make it part of the curriculum.

I think this is something a little bit simpler to do in TKD, because it's much easier for a short person to get close enough to stifle kicks, than it is to stifle elbows in Muay Thai.
Only if kicking is the majority of the attacks being done. If TKD mixes in the punches then I think it's will get significantly harder. While most kicks need full extensions for poer. Punches can be full power at short range. Use the punch to set up the kick will definitely make it more difficult to get close.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It could be a great opportunity to make it part of the curriculum.

Only if kicking is the majority of the attacks being done. If TKD mixes in the punches then I think it's will get significantly harder. While most kicks need full extensions for poer. Punches can be full power at short range. Use the punch to set up the kick will definitely make it more difficult to get close.
In my experience in WT schools, punches are used, but rare. They barely ever score. I think at my last school, in the sparring club every week for 8 years, I could count on one hand how many times I've seen a punch score a point.

Of course, if I go with a more open ruleset or closer match heights in my bracket system, then that specific training concept falls apart (and for different reasons).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my experience in WT schools, punches are used, but rare. They barely ever score. I think at my last school, in the sparring club every week for 8 years, I could count on one hand how many times I've seen a punch score a point.

Of course, if I go with a more open ruleset or closer match heights in my bracket system, then that specific training concept falls apart (and for different reasons).
That makes sense I can see how the scoring would complicate things. If something lands, then it's a score even if it doesn't land flush. It's against the rule to catch the leg right?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This was the conventional theory going around when I started karate in the 60's . Northern peoples (in China, Japan and Korea) having a more rugged build and stronger more direct style, and Southern peoples (in China, Okinawa and SE Asia) having a slighter build and so a more agile, softer style. I must say, by appearance, this seems to be true.

Perhaps there is some actual truth to this.
Not really. I'm not sure how anyone could even claim such a thing, other than ethnic stereotypes.