Sport And TMA....Again

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minor technical clarification:
He is not one armed. He is one HANDED. There is at least some portion of the arm. I can't say for sure from these videos, but I would say most likely an amputation at the elbow.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really awesome VID I just found. Some of younmay have seen it, but it's new to me.

Two neat things here....

1. A great example of how most fights actually go to the ground. You have two of the premier Kung Fu fighters in the world and the fight hits the ground over and over and over.

2. Watch till the end to see why being on the ground ain't always a good thing

Badass one armed Akido fighter putting it on line in a NHB fight.

You need to show the conclusion to that one armed Aikido fighters fight......Check it out.....pretty bad ***.
Damn it guys! Why did you post those vids? Everyone knows Aikido doesn't work, so why go and dispel that illusion?
;)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Damn it guys! Why did you post those vids? Everyone knows Aikido doesn't work, so why go and dispel that illusion?
;)

Looks like he proved the Gracies right. Take the stronger opponent to the ground, control him, and submit him.

TFP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that's incorrect. By the time you reach Blue belt, you should have been in Bjj for about 2 years. The stuff you're talking about (learning holds in a live roll, getting good at defending, positional dominance) is handled while you're a white belt. In my school, 2-3 stripe Blue belts are pretty much junior instructors, teaching brand new students the basics.

If you're going to a Bjj school worth its salt, you should be able to handle most SD situations by the time you hit Blue.

read and learn my friend!
http://www.onthemat.com/articles/Progression_in_Brazilian_JiuJitsu_10_13_2005.html

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like he proved the Gracies right. Take the stronger opponent to the ground, control him, and submit him.
Hmm! Maybe the Gracies took something from Aikido. Daito Ryu was around a long time before them and Aikido is distilled Daito Ryu.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm! Maybe the Gracies took something from Aikido. Daito Ryu was around a long time before them and Aikido is distilled Daito Ryu.

LoL! Doubtful since Bjj and Aikido are about the same age.

You don't find something wrong with an Aikidoka doing what essentially looks like sloppy Judo and Bjj? What happened to all that Steven Segal stuff?

If thats the result why do Aikido? Just do Judo or Bjj.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't find something wrong with an Aikidoka doing what essentially looks like sloppy Judo and Bjj? What happened to all that Steven Segal stuff?

Most BJJ and Judo done "live" and "under pressure" looks sloppy.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed that he had nearly complete control of the stand up. He did eat a few shots, but I attribute that to the lack of a hand. He pretty much could toss that guy at will. Truly awesome video..

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
LoL! Doubtful since Bjj and Aikido are about the same age.

Why do you keep bagging Aikido when you know nothing about it? Don't you know Aikido has finishes that go to the ground?

My comment was a throw away line as there is absolutely no link between what the Aikido guy did and BJJ save that he finished with an arm bar common to many arts. Most contests are 'sloppy' at the best of times. Competing with a disability even more so. But rather than say "That was a really good effort", you call what he did sloppy Judo and BJJ.
:idunno:

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why do you keep bagging Aikido when you know nothing about it? Don't you know Aikido has finishes that go got the ground?

My comment was a throw away line as there is absolutely no link between what the Aikido guy did and BJJ save that he finished with an arm bar common to many arts. Most contests are 'sloppy' at the best of times. Competing with a disability even more so. But rather than say "That was a really good effort", you call what he did sloppy Judo and BJJ.
:idunno:

I'm simply asking why Aikido in combat looks nothing like Aikido in demonstration. Is this;

http://youtu.be/VneLI4fcMUk?t=23s

Simply make believe?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where have you seen aikido in combat to make that statement?

The one-armed Aikidoka vid that was posted earlier for starters.

However, if you have some video to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Oh so a few clips on YouTube makes you an expert I guess I forgot that

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hanzou why cant you give that One armed guy some props man? How can you not see any aikido in that video when I clearly saw it and I don't even practice it.. The takes downs he uses for starters, are definitely not Judo or wrestling takedowns. Especially the last 3 in the second video I most enjoyed the single arm to throat take down he did.

Secondly the way he was moving was different then anything I have seen in my experience with mma. His striking was also very aikido'ish, as he used them to set up his takedowns..

Fact remains he controlled that fight, and made the other dude look like a chump, and you still cant give him any props?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm simply asking why Aikido in combat looks nothing like Aikido in demonstration. Is this;

http://youtu.be/VneLI4fcMUk?t=23s

Simply make believe?

Again and again you post rubbish and again you dis aikido. Seagal training for an MMA fight like that? Come on! The guys with him were taking Ukemi. I will repeat for you, ukemi is part of 'blending' that is a huge part of Aikido training. Those guys are not being 'thrown'. If you had the slightest understanding of Aikido you might understand the training methodologies. You are fixed in your mind so that even when people try to explain things to you, you don't take it on board.

Again you are bashing Aikido against forum rules. (1.10.2 No Art bashing.) give it a break, it is getting tedious.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most BJJ and Judo done "live" and "under pressure" looks sloppy.

Most anything done "live and under pressure" ends up looking considerably sloppier than when done on a complaint partner...

The question becomes are the elements and principles identifiably present in their actions.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If I say that the aikidoka was awesome, can I point out that the other guy wasn't very good on the ground without seeming like a defensive nuthugger? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
If I say that the aikidoka was awesome, can I point out that the other guy wasn't very good on the ground without seeming like a defensive nuthugger? :)

I was wondering when this would pop up. The inevitable "well he was a crappy mixed martial artist" statement. The exact same statement TMA usually give when they are shown a example of there guys getting whomper stomped.

Yes I agree, he didn't look spectacular. I wonder if it was staged?? He didn't throw any low round kicks, very few if any kicks at all. His punch's were limited and he didn't do anything other then 1/2.

Yes he sucked, but however, he had a massive advantage in the working use of 2 hands. Still give mad props to the aikidoka for his amazing showing..

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

No, you can say that. The point is, taking Ukemi is an integral part of Aikido training. Trying to point to a training video and then say...."well, wait, it doesn't look like that in a real fight"...is ignoring the art behind Aikido.

Think of it this way......In any activity, it can often look better in practice. I think the best example for Aikido is the NFL.

Here's why. Have you ever been in, or watched an NFL practice? It's boring.....and plays look perfect. Why? Cause the QB is redshirted, and the other players aren't playing at "full contact" most of the time....Plus, you have to work out the plays, so you run them, and man, you can have a horrible QB or RB look like the best player in the world during practice. But, when you watch those same plays in an actual game? They never look perfect, receivers get knocked off their routes, QB gets hit or pressured, ball is coming out late, and often loopy or slightly off on the pass. Still works, but nowhere CLOSE to as beautiful in practice.

Aikido is like that. And it works, and until you spend time training in Aikido, and learning the art behind it, you won't ever understand. BTW, I found out something important at Aikido last night....

That is, when Nikyo is applied perfectly......it friggin hurts like hell. Jeepers.

Mike

Latest Discussions