Spear-knife hand breaking

TAKMA

White Belt
Reaction score
I have done this break before with little pain just sting. I chose it for its awe factor when doing a demo for the grand opening of my school.

You may know all of this already but incase you don't here are my thoughts.

Very important...be sure that your fingernails are well trimed and won't possibly hit the board. Secondly: you are on the right path for training the strength of your fingers but true strength comes from index and ring finger strength to squeeze firmly against the middle finger to give rigidness and support. ie 3 straws loosely bound are weak but when bound tightly together they work as one and have much greater strength. Thirdly:the speed or velocity at which your fingers hit the board will also determin the amount of pain or injury you may incure; you need pure penetration not power(power required will come from velocity) Forthly: your fingers should ever so slightly curl so that if the object in which you strike is too strong your fingers will not break but simply close into a fist. Lastly: remember that this strike is designed to PENETRATE a softer surface than a skull, like a throat, eye, groin, lower abdomen, arm pit, etc. Be certain to KI HAP forcefully as this increases power/speed as much as 15%.

Good Luck and poceed with confidence!

Hand techniques and foot techniques...in my quest for black belt I have used every technique taught to break boards at testing. Not all in the same test but over the course of several years. These were done by my choice as I was required to do so many hand and foot techniques for each testing I was given freedom in which techiques to use. Some breaks that I have done are...ridge hand, knife hand, back fist, hammer punch, jab(farely difficult), palm heal strike, reverse punch, elbow strike, head butt, hook punch, and yes now spear hand. Note some of these were also done as speed break.(I have never broken a bone in breaking)

Train hard and God bless.
Hey if you tell me when your tournament is, like what day, I will pray for your success and safty.

In HIS Steps,
E Dan,
Adam Brasel

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
What is the practicallity of the spearhand? Who has used one in a real situation? Is the training worth permanetly damaging the fingers in order to perform the technique.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
digitalronin said:
What is the practicallity of the spearhand?

Works fairly well against small, relatively soft targets like the thorat, eyes, solar plexus etc.

Who has used one in a real situation?

Moe.

Is the training worth permanetly damaging the fingers in order to perform the technique.

The training in of itself (sticking your fingers in sand, strengthing exercises etc) doesn't really cause much damage. It's the breaking tiles etc that does, and that's not really necessarary, and not an aspect of training the fingers per se.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
digitalronin said:
What is the practicallity of the spearhand? Who has used one in a real situation? Is the training worth permanetly damaging the fingers in order to perform the technique.
As has already been stated, it can be used very well against soft targets. As for its use in a "real situation" I have seen it used many times. The permanent damage comes from improper training or in excess conditioning. If you condition correctly the body can become hardened and still retain its functionality. You just have to do it right.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My children and I talk about techniques and possibilities and ideas a lot around the house (funniest thing happened a few weeks ago is that before class my son and I were goofing around and got into doing some light contact, no pads sparring in the living room..lot of fun working agles and feints and such)

Anyway, less then a week ago, we were in the kitchen and I don't even remember how the issue came up...oh, I know....I was complaining about not keeping my foot pointed down on a spinning back kick and my son and reluctant wife and I were talking about the difference between a spinning back kick and spinning sidekick and because the feet are angled differently you can strike different targets and one example was that a vertical foot from a spinning back kick can penetrate better between arms up ain a guard position.

Anyway, as we were standing there, I shot a spearhand in between my son's arms and touched his solar plexus, showing how to use that hand strike to get through a particular defense.

Latest Discussions