Question re: hand breaking

A

ave_turuta

Dear all,

I have a short question on hand breaking techniques. I will be hopefully testing for my green stripe sometime in the near future, and I know that I have to start breaking (one foot technique, one hand - only one board at a time for this level). Is there any particular hand technique that you would recommend for a beginner in breaking? What is the proper conditioning? (I have read elsewhere that doing finger pushups can strengthen your fingers, and training with sand, but unfortunately I live in a tiny apartment and the sand option is... well, not an option for me). I'm 160 cms. and my weight is 110 lbs and my hands are kind of tiny with short fingers. My fingers are relatively strong from years of playing piano (yes, I know, kinda funny that I chose TKD!), but I imagine board breaking requires specific training.

Thanks for any advice you may provide!

OP
R

rainbows

It's strange that you should be breaking with hand techniques this early...
But probably the best one to start with is front elbow strike (if an elbow strike is allowed as a hand technique), or else with a knifehand strike. Knifehand strike is a fairly easy break to make, and it was the first proper hand technique I learned to break with (at red belt...long story.)

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
First break I ever did was one board with a reverse punch as a yellow belt. (Not for a test, just a demo) Between that and knife hand, neither took a great deal of conditioning (or any really). Proper technique carries you a long way against one board.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my school, the very first test requires a hammer fist. You shouldn't have a problem with either that or a knife hand strike. For a single board, I wouldn't worry about conditioning. You'll be fine.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ave_turuta,

For my first two tests the required break was a hammerfist, the next test was an elbow strike.

I liked the hammerfist. Try to hit it with the the side of your hand and not the knuckle or wrist. My first break, I hit the board with my wrist. The board did break, but my wrist hurt a little afterwards.

The other thread with the sand was talking about a finger tip break, which is a pretty advanced technique that does require a lot of conditioning.

Does your dojang have any of the rebreakable boards you can practice with?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The over head knife hand (the chop) is one of the easier techniques to learn. It involves the whole body and you can prepare the hand by using focus pads and paddles.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another technique you may wish to try is a palm-heel strike. It is easy with little chance of injury.

Good Luck!

Miles

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
For one board, it doesn't matter what hand technique you use. Pick one from this list, and ask your instructor to teach you how to break with it, or ask your instructor to recommend a technique.

Punch (reverse, or downward)
Backfist
Hammerblow (laterally or downward)
Knifehand (laterally or downward)
Forearm smash
Elbow smash (backwards, or downward)
Palm strike
Palm heel strike
etc.

If you're doing a punch or backfist, I recommend wrapping your knuckles. Other than that, don't worry about it too much. Anyone can be taught to break one board. As this stage, it's more for you to build self-confidence than anything else.

Latest Discussions