Spear-knife hand breaking

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I am planning on doing a spear-knifehand break (using the fingertips for the striking surface) for a tournament in November. I'm looking for different takes on how this may be accomplished, as well as any experience that people may have with it.

My instructor gave me a method to start that I'm using now. This involves a bucket and some sand. With the sand damp, I try to strike with my fingertips as deep as I can. Right now, I'm able to get up to my second set of knuckles. My instructor said I can try wood when I get to last set of knuckles.
There is also a finger-strengthening excercise that I do frequently. This involves starting in knuckle push-up position, then pushing up with my knuckles, landing on fingertips, then repeating.

Anybody have any experiences and comments to share?
(BTW, I'm already aware that this is going to hurt like hell)

M

MikeMartial

No words of advice, but keep us posted---I've always wondered if anyone was crazy enough to do a break with this technique! :D

J

Jim Tindell

Have fun at the hospital afterwards..

If you don't break your fingers... you'll most certainly jam them to the point where it hurts like crazy to bend.

Try to align your fingers so that you're not hitting your middle finger first, because then all of the initial impact would go into one finger instead of all of them.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It can be done with proper preparation and striking technique. first examine the striking technique itself. The middle finger shoud be flexed a bit more than the surrounding fingers so that they all strike evenly at the target. One thus strikes the target with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th digits together.

Next is conditioning. Sand is the way to start, then wet sand, then small gravel-less than pea size and next moving up to larger more marble sized (5mm-8mm) and finally add the sand and small gravel to the large. Controlled striking on a heavy bag cand also add to strengthening. When ready, definately start with light pine board or equivalent. No guts-no glory-Good luck!!

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Try finger tip push-ups. Once the fingers get strong enough try pylometeric push-ups.

Use different thicknesses of boards, practice with the thinner boards developing form, confidence and strength. Advance to thicker boards when your mentally ready. This break is more mental than anythiung else so only advance when you know you can do it.

Pil Sung

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did this breaking demonstartion a few times around 1996-98 with a 1 inch board. It was supported between two cinder blocks and I set up above the board and stuck vertically.

This break is especially hazardous to your health if you have long fingers and it is not really worth the risk. In the 1960's and early 1970's some Asian martial artists would use this demonstation sometimes. They have an advantage as they generally have shorter and stockier fingers, which reduces the chance of finger or joint damage.

R. McLain

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
I am planning on doing a spear-knifehand break (using the fingertips for the striking surface) for a tournament in November. I'm looking for different takes on how this may be accomplished, as well as any experience that people may have with it.

My instructor gave me a method to start that I'm using now. This involves a bucket and some sand. With the sand damp, I try to strike with my fingertips as deep as I can. Right now, I'm able to get up to my second set of knuckles. My instructor said I can try wood when I get to last set of knuckles.
There is also a finger-strengthening excercise that I do frequently. This involves starting in knuckle push-up position, then pushing up with my knuckles, landing on fingertips, then repeating.

Anybody have any experiences and comments to share?
(BTW, I'm already aware that this is going to hurt like hell)
At least your instructor has given you a good training method with the sand. I think technique is vital here and no amount of finger strengthening will get away from that. You may want to try strengthening your wrist a little also.

Try using a light breakerboard to get a feel for it.

Still a tricky break, I would find a good, dry board that will break easily.

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm in the West Bend area. West Bend is probably the only town that can have 4 functioning TKD schools all within a mile of each other, 2 of them descending from our school.

And mike, yes, i'm known for crazy breaking. I try to do breaks that noone else ever replicates. So far, i've been rather successful at such. I figure this is one that noone will WANT to try.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious & not out for a flame war or anything like that, but why the emphasis on breaking in TKD with the hands? When I practiced TKD way back when, we did a little breaking with our hands... hammer fist, knife hand, reverse punch... and that was it.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heck, I can't help but notice the handle "Deadhand" in relation to this technique.

I've seen it done. You can probably pull it off. The sand will help. Do indeed keep that middle finger curled back and on line with the others, however.

Regards,

Steve

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
clfsean said:
I'm curious & not out for a flame war or anything like that, but why the emphasis on breaking in TKD with the hands? When I practiced TKD way back when, we did a little breaking with our hands... hammer fist, knife hand, reverse punch... and that was it.

Probably depends on the school. For example, I wouldn't say there's an emphasis on hand breaks at the dojang I'm at, but they do want an even distribution between hand and foot breaks. I don't think anyone in the thread was required to perform a fingertip break in the course of regular testing etc.

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
clfsean said:

Well, when it comes to tournaments, we really don't have a forced emphasis on hand breaking. In fact, in the black belt routines, we often vary the breaks to emphasize different skills. I like to vary it with agility, power, hands, and speed. I usually do at least one hand break each tourney. The other two breaks tend to be with legs. I want this to be my one hand technique for our tournament later this year.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen it done. You can probably pull it off. The sand will help. Do indeed keep that middle finger curled back and on line with the others, however.
Good advise it is really a 3 finger break with the 2 side fingers pushed forward of the middle one while supporting it at the same time.
keep your hand on an even plain to the object being broken.
Strengthen your hand with the excersise your instructor gave you it is a good one. Also try pulling at small springs, and peeling bark, these will help your over all hand strength.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It tends to work better if you slightly curl your fingers. One of the senior belts performed the break with straight fingers, and while the tiles went, the fingerbones did as well... (They kinda rose right out of his skin.)

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One other tip move into the strtike (ex. move from joon bi to ahp kubi). Keep practicing with sand and light weight targets.

Good luck

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, since several people have already covered the good technical stuff,(i.e. finger tips even and slightly curled) let me ask you a question just to make sure the obvious is covered. (Not at all being a smart a$$, just ya never know).

Do you know how to look at a board to tell where to break it? It would be a shame to put yourself through all that and miss something simple, that's all.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
deadhand31 said:
The sand work is going well. However, I notice that my index and ring finger have a tendency to bend back a little. Is this something that will go away with practice, or is it normal?
It is good to hear that the training is going well. Some things to consider are the use of dry beans, rice, and other types of dry, course substances to help with conditioning. I hope that the break goes well and that you do not get hurt.

Latest Discussions