Spear Hand

jacktnicol

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last night I was at a weekly training session that I have with masters that graduated from the same university as me. Last night we were putting together a demo that they are helping me put on at my dojang at the end of next month. The most senior member is the one planning and he told me (i live in korea and go to tkd university so you don't really agrue with someone who graduated before you) that I would be doing a spear hand break through 5 boards which I have never done before.

So what I was wonder if besides the genetric training methods (finger push ups, surface striking etc.) if anybody has any methods of training for the break that I may not of heard about

Thanks for any help

JT

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Last night I was at a weekly training session that I have with masters that graduated from the same university as me. Last night we were putting together a demo that they are helping me put on at my dojang at the end of next month. The most senior member is the one planning and he told me (i live in korea and go to tkd university so you don't really agrue with someone who graduated before you) that I would be doing a spear hand break through 5 boards which I have never done before.

So what I was wonder if besides the genetric training methods (finger push ups, surface striking etc.) if anybody has any methods of training for the break that I may not of heard about

Thanks for any help

JT

I've heard of thrusting your hands into a bucket of dried beans. I've never done it personally but know a co-worker who has.I'm not sure if you have enough time for that to be effective but I thought I'd mention it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW I would really like to check out the boards of anyone who claims to do 5 with a spearhand / fingertip break.

I have seen some breaks at demos and they are definitely NOT regular 1"x #2 pine like you get at the home center.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
practice writting your name with a pen about 10,000 times. Sign a few checks and some important papers that you have been putting off.

Because after you try this break...... you probably will not beable to do the above for some time!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hope he was joking.

Otherwise, you may want to exercise an important principle in self-defense - avoid.

R. McLain

Thanks for any help

JT

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
5 boards with your finger tips?

i am sure there is someone on earth that can do it, but i have never met anyone that could.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tape your fingers...no seriously, if you are going to do this, I would take duct tape or electrical tape and wrap it around the mid and bottom knuckles to help resist bending and keep the fingers tight together. How thick are these boards going to be?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
5 boards with your finger tips?

i am sure there is someone on earth that can do it, but i have never met anyone that could.

Hmmm, call me a wimp, but I don't think it's practical in this day and age to even attempt. I would have to be on a serious adrenaline rush to consider one board....yep, definitely a girly wimp I am! :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm actually currently working on developing an effective spearhand. I'll share my training methods...

First, try taping your fingers together with duct tape to help you understand and feel how your fingers must be compacted together when striking. Start out with a 40 gallon trashcan of beans like pinto beans or rice if you prefer. Move onto to sand and gravel as your spearhand becomes more effective.

It's important that your elbow be aligned with your wrist and your shoulder be aligned with the elbow. Your target is the bottom of the trashcan and not just the surface of the beans or rice. The motion downward should be with your full body, like an uncoiling motion with the fullness of your expression into the wrist then hand. Kiai/kihap on the down stroke.

You should expect this process to take months and years. And frankly, I agree 5 boards is absurd. The spearhand is a weapon against soft tissue areas where the small surface of the finger points is advantageous like the throat or groin or armpit. Boards in large quantity should be broken with a blunt weapon like a hammerfist or a reverse punch.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
5 boards?! Spear hand?! Ouch!!!! How long do you have to perpare? And how much have you conditiond prior to this request? I mean is your spear hand already pretty good that maybe you did 2 boards as a demo or something? Why would they assume that you could even do 1 board let alone 5!!!

I must be missing something here or my spear hand just sucks.:shrug: Why ask you to do this? That is my question.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The most senior member is the one planning and he told me ....... that I would be doing a spear hand break through 5 boards which I have never done before.

To be quite honest, I'd rather spend my time practicing self defense techniques than spend all the time training just to attempt to try to do that. To each his own, I guess. It might be a nice convesation piece to say one could do it but again, the amount of hours it would take to do the break I'd rather put into training techniques.
Jason

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was taught that the spear hand was actually a strike with the heel of the hand rather than actually striking with the fingers. Not sure if I can describe it properly, I'll try anyway! Suppose you are aiming for someone's cheek bone for sake of argument, your hand is in the classic spear hand position and you thrust your hand at the face fingers first but the fingers bend very slightly outward so that the heel of the hand comes in contact with the cheek.
Several very good, experienced instructors said (we were on a Wado Ryu course) that to strike with the fingers is literally pointless as they just bend however much you 'condition' them when they hit something hard.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taught that the spear hand was actually a strike with the heel of the hand rather than actually striking with the fingers. Not sure if I can describe it properly, I'll try anyway! Suppose you are aiming for someone's cheek bone for sake of argument, your hand is in the classic spear hand position and you thrust your hand at the face fingers first but the fingers bend very slightly outward so that the heel of the hand comes in contact with the cheek.
Several very good, experienced instructors said (we were on a Wado Ryu course) that to strike with the fingers is literally pointless as they just bend however much you 'condition' them when they hit something hard.

The spear hand — with the fingertips — IS a real and viable technique.

Some people with the right physical makeup (short, thick fingers) and lots of conditioning CAN break boards with it. I imagine they could also do some horrible things to your torso ;)

For MOST of us, the spear hand is for a very few specific targets: eyes, throat, maybe the solar plexus — and is a great tool for those targets: additional reach, smaller contact point.

Personally, I would respectfully decline the opportunity to demonstrate a break through even a SINGLE board: my fingers are too gracile and I think it would take years of training, not a couple of weeks, even with a physical makeup that favors this technique.

Five boards? Not for me — ever.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spear hand — with the fingertips — IS a real and viable technique.

Some people with the right physical makeup (short, thick fingers) and lots of conditioning CAN break boards with it. I imagine they could also do some horrible things to your torso ;)

For MOST of us, the spear hand is for a very few specific targets: eyes, throat, maybe the solar plexus — and is a great tool for those targets: additional reach, smaller contact point.

Personally, I would respectfully decline the opportunity to demonstrate a break through even a SINGLE board: my fingers are too gracile and I think it would take years of training, not a couple of weeks, even with a physical makeup that favors this technique.

Five boards? Not for me — ever.

As you point out though, most of us really can't spend the time and effort required to be able to use the finger strike to the best effect, I think the way we were taught to use it is probably the most effective for us non professionals for want of a better description. I wouldn't feel confident that any spear hand of mine would damge a solar plexus never mind boards lol, I prefer knucklestrikes tbh, I'm happier with them, personal preferance I guess.

Latest Discussions