Spear Hand Strike Breaking

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
The spear hand strike is meant for soft areas of the body, not harder areas like ribs or wooden boards. If you are adamant, clip your fingernails and strike with the tip of your fingers. Flex your ring, index, and middle finger in a way that the fingertips are level so as to increase your striking area and reduce pressure on each individual finger.

I cannot tell you if you are strong enough to perform this break as I don't know you, but one way I have used to strengthen my spear hand is finger pushups, as they will strengthen your finger's isometric strength.
I am planning on performing a spear hand strike in my next board breaking competition. The last time I performed this break, my fingernails shattered, and I bled a whole lot lol. In this competition, taping the fingers is not an option, but I'm trying to figure out how to keep myself from injury. My hand and fingers are conditioned, but I can't think of a way to protect my nails. Does anyone have any ideas or things they have tried to prevent hurting your fingernails?

Thanks in advance :)

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about because sometimes you miss
In truth, though spearhand strikes are a part of traditional karate, they are not part of my regular tool bag. Suitable targets for them are indeed harder to hit with narrow windows of opportunity and require an accuracy not often possible in a fight. And, I'd hate to ruin my manicure.
Rebreakable boards
Are breaking these as satisfying as smashing real boards? Most of my training was before they were invented. Then, again, so were desk top computers. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy. Maybe just old.
It's also fun.
I did not consider this. It may be the most important reason!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about because sometimes you miss and end up hitting the hard bits?
I wonder if this is one of the reasons for the "tense at the last possible minute" mantra you hear in many places; don't commit to the strike until it's just about to hit. If you recognize you're going for a hard bit, then absorb the impact instead of delivering it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In truth, though spearhand strikes are a part of traditional karate, they are not part of my regular tool bag. Suitable targets for them are indeed harder to hit with narrow windows of opportunity and require an accuracy not often possible in a fight. And, I'd hate to ruin my manicure.
I don't think they are in regular use by many people, if any. As I said, I trained for it as a youngster, but no longer. I don't think the positives outweigh the negatives.
Are breaking these as satisfying as smashing real boards?
That mostly depends on the boards. There are plenty of junky designs out there. I still have one that was supposed to match a normal 1" pine board. And it did. For about two weeks. At this point, I can break it with my pinky.
On the other hand, I have a bunch of these guys. The different colors match ranks and difficulty varies accordingly. The green board is equivalent to that standard 1" pine board. Mine has been broken thousands of time and I cannot detect any change. The other thing is consistency. Wood will vary a LOT from one board to another. How much moisture there is will change how hard the boards are to break. These are the same every time. That consistency is one reason that I personally prefer to break concrete pavers.
Most of my training was before they were invented. Then, again, so were desk top computers. I'm an old fashioned kind of guy. Maybe just old.
Mine too. I started in 1967 or '68. But I try to move with the times.
I did not consider this. It may be the most important reason!
It's certainly AN important reason.

Latest Discussions