Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say, "Hold back your intensity"!!!...:( (sighing and wondering why I try sometimes)

I'm sorry. It's just it's internet and many things such as tone and context can get lost since body language and spoken tone are lost here.

I understand what you mean now. Prohibited the use of specific techniques such as thundering hammers and flashing mace which could very well kill someone or mail them, but do not pull back the intensity of your strikes.

I got it know.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind I also have no clue what the other person knows, for all I know he could be a martial artist too and if that's the case all the more reason to not hold back. I was told you never know what the other person knows or what they are capable of so treat all opponents as if they know more than you do.

That's why I always wear my TapOut shirts and camou pants to deter the situation.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry. It's just it's internet and many things such as tone and context can get lost since body language and spoken tone are lost here.

I understand what you mean now. Prohibited the use of specific techniques such as thundering hammers and flashing mace which could very well kill someone or mail them, but do not pull back the intensity of your strikes.

I got it know.
No! I mean, only use Thundering Hammers and Flashing Mace, for God's sake! :bawling:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks - I kind of agree with you.. but my instructor does not - he feels headgear encourages sparing partners to hit harder and the gear will not help then. This is the gear I got before I started the class -I have never got to use it. The again our sparing is not intense at this point and we have 16 oz gloves. But I may have another discussion with the instructor in the future.

Boxing sparing is maybe once every 5 weeks (we do other sparing other weeks).

Headgear with Cheek and Chin Protection, MMA Headgear

If someone hits you too hard with your headgear, you really have to tell them to tone it down. There's no shame in this. Also, the headgear vibrates and distributes the impact, so it may feel like you're getting hit harder...it's kind of weird. I'm still not 100% on the debate about headgear helping or not. I get hit less, w/o the headgear due to better field of vision....the headgear increasing the size of target and it's nice and dry causing clean shots landed, unlike a sweaty head that can cause glancing shots and more misses. But I will put on the headgear when sparring hard and especially vs. people that I know who usually beat me. With the headgear, I can clearly tell that I'm not as damaged the next day. My 1st headgear sucked (some TMA joint for $10 used, next $100 Everlast with the face bar, sucked too. The next 2 full face at $50/each Title, was ok. The $90 Fighting Sport one is the best so far. I can tell a big difference in protection.

Pure Boxing gyms knows this more than other arts, including MMA, because pure Boxers go hard more often than most. And they always wear headgear as it's mandatory in most Boxing gyms.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amateur boxing has stopped male boxers from wearing head guards, World Rugby has gone with an American study and concluded head guards do little to prevent concussion. The problem being that even wearing head 'protection' the brain still hits the skull which is what causes the damage. A hit to the head still rattles the brain however soft.

World Rugby Player Welfare - Putting Players First : 2009 - Does Padded Headgear Prevent Head Injury in Rugby Union Football?

New regulations banning head guards in male boxing

Boxing And Mixed Martial Arts Could Wreck Your Brain

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Amateur boxing has stopped male boxers from wearing head guards, World Rugby has gone with an American study and concluded head guards do little to prevent concussion. The problem being that even wearing head 'protection' the brain still hits the skull which is what causes the damage. A hit to the head still rattles the brain however soft.

World Rugby Player Welfare - Putting Players First : 2009 - Does Padded Headgear Prevent Head Injury in Rugby Union Football?

New regulations banning head guards in male boxing

Boxing And Mixed Martial Arts Could Wreck Your Brain
The way that they go at each others head wouldn't be allowed in my school. Three's no reason why they should be trying to knock each others heads off.

Same with these kids.

The way that we throw our punches utilized the weight of our body, we don't just punch with our arms so even our weakest punches are coming in with significant force when we connect our body to the punch. I think other martial arts have a similar challenge where there's no way they can spar like these kids were sparring an not hurt someone regardless of if they have headgear on or not.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not just the kids amateur boxing that have stopped head guards it's adults. Studies have also shown that in boxing bouts the fighters are quite likely to be dehydrated from cutting weight which means the fluid around the brain is far less than normal leaving the brain unprotected. This is nearly always the case of jockeys in horse racing who sustain brain injuries from fall as they are constantly cutting weight, they of course wear hard helmets that you would imagine protect the brain better than martial arts/boxing head guards. It's the action of the brain hitting the skull that does the damage and there's nothing that can be done to actually protect the brain with anything like a head guard or bubble wrap.
If you spar and do head shots, if you fight and do head shots with or without a head guard you are damaging your brain to a greater or lesser extent. If you get KOd there is damage. People have to decide for themselves what risks they are willing to take doing martial arts or playing contact sports.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you spar and do head shots, if you fight and do head shots with or without a head guard you are damaging your brain to a greater or lesser extent. If you get KOd there is damage. People have to decide for themselves what risks they are willing to take doing martial arts or playing contact sports.

Hmmmm ... perhaps that explains some of the statements by those that rabidly believe in sparring. :)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The way that they go at each others head wouldn't be allowed in my school. Three's no reason why they should be trying to knock each others heads off.

This is just routine hard sparring at a Boxing gym. A lot of people in here always gets pissy when I told them that sparring for KO's doesn't just exist, but regularly (just not always or even mostly). There's light to medium sparring too that's happening regularly.

The way that we throw our punches utilized the weight of our body, we don't just punch with our arms so even our weakest punches are coming in with significant force when we connect our body to the punch.

So you think Boxers aren't doing the same thing. You think Boxers don't understand hip rotation, pivoting, shifting weight, and even the use of the shoulders to punch harder and faster? Mayweather made $180,000,000 for one fight and Pacquaio $120,000,000 for losing. You think with that much money on the line, tens of millions of dollars in resources and decades of developing a craft of a multi-billion dollar sport....and not to mention Worldwide fame and glory..... that they wouldn't be able to figure out what you know at your school in a strip mall? When was the last time that a TMA event paid over $20,000 for one fighter and the event was held in a real stadium and not some hotel ballroom?

I think other martial arts have a similar challenge where there's no way they can spar like these kids were sparring an not hurt someone regardless of if they have headgear on or not.

You seem to think that there's some special powers that TMA's have that's completely unknown to Boxers and other sports fighter such as MMA. Even if most UFC fighters aren't even making 1/36,000th of what Mayweather's making for a fight, you think we don't know about techniques?

No, the problem with most other martial arts, meaning most of the TMA ones, is that you never spar this hard so you think it's Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 or something when you see it. To put it bluntly, you're scared of it. You think people may die or something. But this is standard practice for fighting gyms and fighters. Not all who trains at such gyms, go this hard though, usually only the fighters or those who want to, would go this hard.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is just routine hard sparring at a Boxing gym. A lot of people in here always gets pissy when I told them that sparring for KO's doesn't just exist, but regularly (just not always or even mostly). There's light to medium sparring too that's happening regularly.

So you think Boxers aren't doing the same thing. You think Boxers don't understand hip rotation, pivoting, shifting weight, and even the use of the shoulders to punch harder and faster? Mayweather made $180,000,000 for one fight and Pacquaio $120,000,000 for losing. You think with that much money on the line, tens of millions of dollars in resources and decades of developing a craft of a multi-billion dollar sport....and not to mention Worldwide fame and glory..... that they wouldn't be able to figure out what you know at your school in a strip mall? When was the last time that a TMA event paid over $20,000 for one fighter and the event was held in a real stadium and not some hotel ballroom?

You seem to think that there's some special powers that TMA's have that's completely unknown to Boxers and other sports fighter such as MMA. Even if most UFC fighters aren't even making 1/36,000th of what Mayweather's making for a fight, you think we don't know about techniques?

No, the problem with most other martial arts, meaning most of the TMA ones, is that you never spar this hard so you think it's Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 or something when you see it. To put it bluntly, you're scared of it. You think people may die or something. But this is standard practice for fighting gyms and fighters. Not all who trains at such gyms, go this hard though, usually only the fighters or those who want to, would go this hard.

Why are you so upset? Calm down. In TMA we do spar very hard, but keep in mind we cannot do this all of the time because that would simply be unrealistic, many people in TMA wish to strive to become professional fighters and it would make zero sense to risk injurying yourself to such an extent (because accidents can and will happen).

That you have to put a halt in your training to recover from well, TRAINING. Many of us also do not like to use gear, this means if we go full contact, yes believe it or not. People could end up dead or seriously hurt, we train with no gear because gear is not going to be with you in a street fight.

Now sparring for the sake of training for sport is of course different, there are rules there to keep in mind and one of those rules is don't go full force, that applies to competitions too, they don't want you going full force even there.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I got it know.

Sorry but I personally don't believe that flashing mace or thundering hammers could kill someone. Thundering hammers is mainly attacks to the body and the knees and flashing mace uses a hammerfist and a back knuckle to the head. Those techniques may hurt a lot but I very very much doubt you could kill someone with those 2. Kenpo does have killing techniques backbreaker, leap of death etc but those 2 you listed probably won't

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the fact that FriedRice finds medical research 'funny' and is still chucking out insults about posters here says more about his seriousness and willingness to discuss a subject which has potential medical concerns for many martial artists and sportsmen.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you think Boxers aren't doing the same thing. You think Boxers don't understand hip rotation, pivoting, shifting weight, and even the use of the shoulders to punch harder and faster?
This statement right here tells me that you don't understand what I'm referring. I don't pivot on the ball of my foot to generate power. I don't don't rotate my hip to generate power, I use my waist. I also don't use my shoulder to punch harder and faster. So to answer your question no I don't think the majority of boxers are doing the same thing.

You seem to think that there's some special powers that TMA's have that's completely unknown to Boxers and other sports fighter such as MMA
Not once have I even said such a thing.

is that you never spar this hard so you think it's Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 or something when you see it. To put it bluntly, you're scared of it.
And yet know one who has sparred against me and has gotten a weak punch from me has any doubt that I have more power than what I'm giving and to this day no one has ever asked me to to hit them harder than those punches that came in solid.

Not all who trains at such gyms, go this hard though
This is a good thing.

Latest Discussions