What is self defense?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
On one of the other forums on Martial Talk this quote was posted,
"You only get one chance at self defense after that it is a fight."

It got me to thinking about what do others think of as self defense. Often here on the Martial Talk forums as well in many martial art schools we write and speak about self defense. What does self defense mean, what is self defense?

I believe there is far more to self defense than fighting or blocking or being physical in the face of the opponent/s but for other’s it seems to all be about how to fight. I use self defense tactics and techniques often. I use them several times every day. My family members perform self defense techniques just as often. I am of the opinion that most all of us here on the forum do some form/s of self defense tactics and techniques every day also.

So when you speak of performing self defense, or that you are learning self defense just what are you referring to?

What is Self Defense?

Danny Terrell

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny T said:

It got me to thinking about what do others think of as self defense. Often here on the Martial Talk forums as well in many martial art schools we write and speak about self defense. What does self defense mean, what is self defense?

I believe there is far more to self defense than fighting or blocking or being physical in the face of the opponent/s but for other’s it seems to all be about how to fight. I use self defense tactics and techniques often. I use them several times every day. My family members perform self defense techniques just as often. I am of the opinion that most all of us here on the forum do some form/s of self defense tactics and techniques every day also.

So when you speak of performing self defense, or that you are learning self defense just what are you referring to?

What is Self Defense?

Danny Terrell

One way of looking at what this means is defending yourself. Of course, as you said, there is so much more to SD than the physical aspect. IMHO, there is also the mental aspect as well as verbal. I think that the reason why for some it seems to be nothing but physical, is because they A)were never taught any other way or B) they do not want to take the time to learn any other way. How many times have we seen people say to ignore a verbal confrontation? What is the usual reply? "This person is getting the better of you!" "You're letting him walk all over you!" And the list can go on and on. This is an example of people that do not know any other way. If they did, then they wouldn't be saying what they say.

Being aware of your surroundings is one method of SD. Not putting yourself into a potential dangerous situation. Being able to calm a situation using verbal calming techniques. And of course, you have your physical skills.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Danny T said:

What is Self Defense?

Danny Terrell
Self defence is what works in a real fight.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Self defence is what works in a real fight.

Ok, could you expound upon that somewhat?
Could there be something else that would be self defense prior to being in a fight?

Danny Terrell

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danny T said:
What is Self Defense?

Danny Terrell

Self-Defence:

1. Awareness
2. Avoidance
3. Escape
4. Failing the first four, hit and take off, if possible
5. Survival

There are so many situations in which unarmed techniques will not help you, so I put maintaining SITUATIONAL AWARENESS as far, far more important than the physical aspects training (not that you should neglect these, of course). I also make a distinction between formal martial arts training and self-defence training. For self-defense, it is better, IMO, to practice half a dozen powerful techniques that you can throw effectively whether tired, surprised or encumbered by dress clothing.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
One way of looking at what this means is defending yourself. Of course, as you said, there is so much more to SD than the physical aspect. IMHO, there is also the mental aspect as well as verbal. I think that the reason why for some it seems to be nothing but physical, is because they A)were never taught any other way or B) they do not want to take the time to learn any other way. How many times have we seen people say to ignore a verbal confrontation? What is the usual reply? "This person is getting the better of you!" "You're letting him walk all over you!" And the list can go on and on. This is an example of people that do not know any other way. If they did, then they wouldn't be saying what they say.

Being aware of your surroundings is one method of SD. Not putting yourself into a potential dangerous situation. Being able to calm a situation using verbal calming techniques. And of course, you have your physical skills.

Just my thoughts.

Mike thanks for your thoughts.
"Being aware of your surroundings is one method of SD."
I agree. It is my opinion awareness is the first line of SD.

Ok now that you are aware. What are you aware of? And what is your self defense for that?

Jonathan Randall
Self-Defence:

1. Awareness
2. Avoidance
3. Escape
4. Failing the first four, hit and take off, if possible
5. Survival

There are so many situations in which unarmed techniques will not help you, so I put maintaining SITUATIONAL AWARENESS as far, far more important than the physical aspects training (not that you should neglect these, of course). I also make a distinction between formal martial arts training and self-defence training. For self-defense, it is better, IMO, to practice half a dozen powerful techniques that you can throw effectively whether tired, surprised or encumbered by dress clothing.

Jonathan,
Your number 1 under self defense is awareness, I present the same question to you. What are you awear of and what is your defense for it?

You also list avoidance. Could you elaberate some on this please? What are you avoiding and how are you doing it that you consider it self defense?

you state you make a distiction between formal Martial arts training and self-defense training. But then you what you describe is only a fighting aspect. What else is trained besides fighting? Or is it only fighting?

I tend to think of self defense training is training all aspects of self defense. The definition of defend is to shield from harm or attack or to protect. Self defense is the act of defending or protecting one's self, loveones and property from anyone or thing that will harm or take it.

Being aware is great but what does that mean and what are you aware of?
Avoidance is also very good. What does that mean? What are you avoiding? How are you avoiding it?
Escape, same questions and why are you escaping?

Danny

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
My simple explanation of self defense consists two aspects:

1. Not getting dead.

2. Limiting criminal and civil liability.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danny T said:
Jonathan,
Your number 1 under self defense is awareness, I present the same question to you. What are you awear of and what is your defense for it?

You also list avoidance. Could you elaberate some on this please? What are you avoiding and how are you doing it that you consider it self defense?

you state you make a distiction between formal Martial arts training and self-defense training. But then you what you describe is only a fighting aspect. What else is trained besides fighting? Or is it only fighting?

Danny

Good question. First, awareness when I'm coming and going to my car while out. Is there someone loitering around (AVOIDANCE)? When I'm at a store or restaurant, is there a verbal altercation going on that could turn physical with me and whoever I am with caught in the crossfire (LEAVE NOW WHICH IS ESCAPE)? Do potential friends and mates give off subtle behavioral hints that suggest that their good nature around me is simply an act - they are polite to me and people important to them but are thoughtless and careless towards others - particularly the "hired help" (waiters, cashiers, etc.). These things are the most important aspect, IMO, of self-defence because you can't fight a sawed-off shotgun with Karate (unless you're really, really close and they are really, really careless).

Martial arts to me has many components. I think of it as a program of physical education with practical applications. However, I realize that a hammerfist and palm strike are more effective on the street than spinning hook kicks and rear leg roundhouse kicks are and I train self-defence scenarios accordingly.

I also believe that many practitioners get too caught up in "comparitive martial arts" (TKD vs. Boxing, Karate vs. BJJ, etc.) and ignore the fact that the greatest self-defence threat is not a UFC champion but a 16-25 year old male with a stolen handgun and no conscience.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Danny T said:
Mike thanks for your thoughts.
"Being aware of your surroundings is one method of SD."
I agree. It is my opinion awareness is the first line of SD.

Ok now that you are aware. What are you aware of? And what is your self defense for that?

We can start with your surroundings. Wherever you're going, take a few seconds to scan the general area. You're walking back to your car in the parking lot or parking garage. Is there anything out of the ordinary that catches your eye? Going to an area that you're unfamiliar with or that is largely populated. I take a yearly trip to NYC. Due to the fact that I'm not from that area, I tend to stick to areas that I am more familiar with, but still keep my eyes open.

The list can go on and on. Basically, keep your eyes open, your head up, and walk with some confidence. Body language can be a dead give-away to someone who is looking for a potential victim.

Mike

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Danny T said:

What is Self Defense?

Danny Terrell
Danny, I'd agree with you, I find myself using self-defense tactics often but am rarely involved in physical altercation outside the dojo. For me, there are three types of self-defense [the implication is to defend oneself against any form of attack]:
1. mental
2. verbal
3. physical

Mental defense might be defense against implied threat or bullying where often the threat of attack is subtle for example a glare across the schoolyard or an unfair remark on a workplace appraisal. These need to be met with confidence and assertiveness.

Verbal defense would be against anything from name-calling through drunken mouthing off or road-rage to slander. Again, we all have our own tactics for handing these situations depending upon the situation - however a self defense tactic nonetheless.

Physical defense [unfortunately imo] takes the premium in teaching time at martial arts schools often at the expense of # 1 and 2 above but these are the bread-and-butter techniques of our martial disciplines and that's how it is, fair enough we all know that.

Again imHo, situational awareness and avoidance of confrontation are essential skills to be trained in for any well-rounded martial practitioner but these do not fall within self-defense [implies defending oneself from attack]. Instead, I would categorise these as self-protection / self-preservation.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There have been several really good threads on self-defense, including some in specific situations.

Everything begins with good choices, I think. Awareness of your surroundings - where the exits are, who seems to be a threat and why? where are the local police departments? what is the general geography of the area? how do you approach the counter? How do you respond to this guy who's being rude? Do you walk away? Do you comment? Are you prepared to fight? Is it necessary? Can I avoid the situation?

Some people call self-defense defense against the first received blow. Wrong. And if you want to avoid legislative action against you, you'll treat the entire encounter as a defensive situation. If you are the recipient of an ongoing, incoming attack, you still have to be mindful of how much force is enough. One more hit than is deemed necessary in afterthought, one more knife wound, one more bullet, or a bullet at all.

The entire act must be defensive in nature, designed to save your life if necessary.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was about to post a disagreement with the original post until I read Shesula's, to which I will merely agree. You must constantly maintain self-control, first emotionally and then physically. If you treat everything past the first strike as 'a fight' and go all out, then you face the legal and moral ramifications.

The difference between a Martial Artist and a Street Thug is that a martial artist must maintain personal control and only use force such as neccessary to control the situation and end the threat.

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, there have been several good answers about threats, actual and/or perceived.

But most of the answers go right to physical confrontation.
There is so much more to self-defense if one uses the proper definitions. It begins with awareness as many have already stated. Evasion is referred to as well as escape but it all comes back to fighting. Why? Why is self-defense most always referred to as fighting? Fighting can be and is a ‘Form’ of self-defense but isn’t self-defense in and of itself.
Awareness is a form of self-defense but isn’t in and of itself is it? To be self-defense there must be a threat real or perceived on your self, your love-ones, or your property. With that in mind what are some of the things you do which is self-defense? Lets leave fighting out for the moment.

Danny Terrell

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danny T, if you go back and re-read my post, you will see that I said that self-defense is first and foremost, good choices. Evasion is based on good choices. Choosing not to confront, using verbal judo to avoid a situation.

So, to expand on that, which I guess is what you're after, if you see someone who appears threatening based on good judgement, or a group of people, then leave the area if you can. If you find yourself in an undesirable location, leave. If you are verbally confronted, there are ways of de-escalating a person's anger if they are not purely intent on harming someone.

Is that what you're after? a detailed discussion on non-physical defense?

OP
Danny T

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
There have been several really good threads on self-defense, including some in specific situations.

Everything begins with good choices, I think. Awareness of your surroundings - where the exits are, who seems to be a threat and why? where are the local police departments? what is the general geography of the area? how do you approach the counter? How do you respond to this guy who's being rude? Do you walk away? Do you comment? Are you prepared to fight? Is it necessary? Can I avoid the situation?

Some people call self-defense defense against the first received blow. Wrong. And if you want to avoid legislative action against you, you'll treat the entire encounter as a defensive situation. If you are the recipient of an ongoing, incoming attack, you still have to be mindful of how much force is enough. One more hit than is deemed necessary in afterthought, one more knife wound, one more bullet, or a bullet at all.

The entire act must be defensive in nature, designed to save your life if necessary.

Shesulsa, yes you did write of good choices and some other aspects of being aware. Also asked about are you prepared to fight. You also state the entire act must be defensive in nature, designed to save your life if necessary. What does that mean?

What I am trying to get a discussion on is that self-defense is not necessarily about fighting. It can be a peice of self-defense but should be the ablsolute last. I believe self-defense is more of a mindset and a way of life due to our environment, lifestyle, places we go and the people we associate with. As I was growing up in S. Louisiana something we didn't do was lock our house. In fact we didn't have a locks on our doors. The culture, at that time, didn't deem it necessary. Most people we associated with left the keys to their vehicles in the ign. Wasn't a concern. Is that something we do today? Absolutely not! We lock the doors and windows and storage areas. We lock our vehicle. Many of us keep the doors locked even when at home. Why? Because our culture and the environment it is in has changed. We are aware of the change and therefore change our lifestyle to suit it. That is self-defense. We are protecting our lives, habitat, and property. No fighting, only the recognizing of the potential dangers and doing something about them. Before it happens.

Danny T

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've posted a lot on this topic before in other threads, so I'd like to take a step back and let some of the newer folk chime in here.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's called self defense because you're not learning it to go out and attack somebody. You're learning it to protect yourself.

Past that, "defense" all depends on your philosophy and how you're taught. We teach that there is no such thing as self defense. The mindset is to go offensive as soon as you're attacked. Take control of the situation and end it. Granted, you're going to probably have to start with a defensive move but hopefully it will coincide with an offensive response. The get the hell out of there.