Something new I want something more

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I want to learn something new and this is not new, you already know about my strugles with TKD lately.
Last night giving TKD class I ended it with some techs about releasing or breacking wrist grabs, nothing fancy, just show the students how to break a wrist grab. At the end of the class a fitness teacher aproached and ask me if I know aikido and I told him I know some aikido moves because I took some aikido lessons and he asked about my aikido sensei and told him who taught me some aikido and this fitness guy know the sensei already.

I went home thinking and rethinking if it could be a nice move to start aikido again but this time in a good way, I mean regulary and atending aiki classes twice per week because I realy love tograb and take control of the people when doing self defense, I really like to control using the ki of the other person to lock him down.

I want to stay inside TKD but as a teacher and start aikido as a student to learn it the right way, so let's se, I will try to speak with the aikido sensei and try to see if this new year can I start it again.

Manny

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go for it Manny. It will complement your TKD beautifully.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you pick it up again, I'd suggest just attending regularly with no expectations other than to enjoy the movement and class for itself. Don't worry about "adding to your TKD". Don't think about self-defense or practical application. Don't be concerned about rank or advancement or work or home life. Just live in the moment and enjoy it for what it is.

I find this separation of concerns is the key for cross-training martial artists that come into a serene, meditative art like aikido with significant experience in hard, fighting oriented systems. If they get pass the endless comparison stage of how to do things in A vs. B, the lessons they can learn from aikido is more likely to stick with them.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you bailando solo (dancingalone), what you wrote is true, I have to not compare A to B and go to Aiki class or what ever class with empty mind and relaxation to success in the learning, I really don't care so much about ranking and the time to get a shodan... yes I would like to achieve a shodan in Aiki Do it will be nice but this is not a big wish right now, my wish is to learn something new refreshing to keep me going and enjoiying the martial art.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That sounds great! Go for it!

From your posts, it sounds like you're a little bored with the sport-focused TKD your school is doing, so I bet doing this will be really good for you. And it's always good to learn new things!

Latest Discussions