Something I noticed last night..

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We were going over individual drills, kicking punching and the like, then we did katas.

I noticed something last night...The universal thought of the shouting in some martial arts is "HI-YA!" I noticed that really isn't the case, Everyone's Kiai is different from one anothers. So now comes a question, if your martial art uses Kiais. How does yours sound?

As for mine, it's a loud sound that sounds a lot a fast "HEIGHT".

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine sounded like "HIGH"..

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Normally I use a vowel sound. Using vowel sounds allows the breath to release. Consonates constrict airflow. Mine usually sounds like "Isa" or "Osa", but do be honest, it varies from time to time, dependant upon the situation, I just release it.

As found in Wikipedia, "A vowel is a soundin spoken language that is characterized by an open configuration of the vocal tract so that there is no build-up of air pressure above the glottis. This allows the breath to release. This contrasts with consonants, which are characterized by a constriction or closure at one or more points along the vocal tract."

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, mine just changes. It used to be more of a hua sound, but has changed to a shoop kind of sound. When I moved Dojangs, I started to examine HOW I breathe more. Basically, I was breating from the "top of the lungs" which isn't exactly correct. Breathing should be done from the diaphragm, changing my kiap and movements sounds have REALLY influenced how I breathe during forms and basics and has improved both my technique AND my breath support.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mine are like "t-Ack" or "ay-eesh" when I kick. I used the former when the pace gets intense, the latter is more when I am a little more relaxed. When I knee I make like a really deep grumbling sort of sound. Weird huh? Sometimes at the end of padwork we'll finish up on 60 consecutive kicks on the Thai Pads. And I'll get to the last kick and just scream. But it's more of a scream of final effort mixed with relief!!! :) LOL

Oh so fun....feel like training now!!!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a variety of sounds to synchronize my movements, to distract an opponent or (in competition) to draw a judge's attention. Sometimes it's an actual word, like "POP" or "POW", sometimes it's just a noise.

In general, my understanding is that everyone's shout/kiai should be different, and should change with the technique, and with training.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine sounds alot lie "ahhhhh"...above all when it is Sensei the one who throws me or applies a arm/wrist lock. The sound changes into a deep "uh" when the throw is very hard and I end up pancaking flat on my back. But in all cases it still changes into a flable shaking, almost whispered, "hai" when Sensei asks are you OK?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The kiai for me changes depending on what I'm doing. With a strike it's a very guttural "Hunh" sound. With a break fall it's more relaxed and drawn out "uhh-high-t" that comes from a little higher up off the diaphragm.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's something like `hyah!' for me, kind of intense and short. Except that the final `h' I've written isn't quite right, gives the impession of breath continuing to move out of the lungs, whereas when I do it, it's almost like a glottal stop.

It's particularly effective to kiyop this way, I've found, when I'm working on board-breaking. For some reason, I have a much better chance of success with a thick stack if I do that kiyop; if I don't, my %age of successful breaks goes way down.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some interesting (and humerous) observations made above, chaps :tup:.

My take on it is that the precise form of the kia should indeed be shaped to the type/category of technique being used. For example, in iai, on the rare occaions where we kiai, we use "To!" for cuts and "Wa!" for defences. The theory is that each is suited to the type of focus and feeling needed for the techique - incisive for attack, broader for defence.

It does have an effect on how the techniques execute and also on how you take your next breath, so I would definitely say that it's not just 'for show'.

Of course, I think that what is effective will vary from person to person but the precepts are pretty solid.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I make no sound. It terrifies my opponents to get them thinking... is this guy even human?

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I'm practicing Kata or basics, my kiai is more of a relaxed "hyah". If I'm sparring it's a bit more aggressive "kyah" If I'm performing the duties of uke for either of my instructors it's an extremely forced and painful "OWWWWW"

Cheers!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It kind of depends - when I'm teaching, it often sounds like "sup" ("soup") which is sort of close to the Korean for "go"... but sometimes it's less defined.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Radical view:

It doesn't matter. As long as you're breathing in when you're supposed to breath in and out when you're supposed to breath out, compressing on (and only on) extreme effort and staying oxygenated it's all good.

In fact, doing a kiai on every strike or step is bad and can get you killed. It limits the action to the speed of your breath and makes you easier to time and predict. The other guy will know exactly when you are weak and when you are strong.

As near as I can tell a lot of the "Yell on every strike and step" twaddle came from the social changes that accompanied Karate's adoption of a large group format. If you have sixty guys doing kata together you need to make sure they're all breathing. In a more traditional setting the teacher can see, hear and feel each student.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there was some talk of breathing before... i wanted to share some ideas, but i cannot be sure that what i say is positive so i didn't.

however i have a question to ask...

breathing i think is definately a big part of life and especially martial arts i think. so, it may be due to my bad lifestyle nowadays...ok for several years already...but i noticed, that when i practice shinken sparring or actually most martial arts, i start breathing more deeply and use breath very much for powers of expansion or contraction... i have some nifty breathing techniques too. i wouldn't be too quick to share them however, because they could be dangerous...breath is like holding a baby. meaning, you've got to hold it carefully not crushing it or droping it.

whatever, in response to you mentioning keeping yourself oxidated, do you ever get headaches after intense sparring or sudden practice without good preparation or good lifestyle(ie, smoking-drinking-general laziness)

what i think is happening, is that the brain is getting too much oxygen at once. that it is not geared to handle. this is because of lazyness you think you can do more than your body can-

do you think this could be the case.? actually when i get such a headache-not really that often, but once in a while, i actually have to stop breathing deeply until things balance out again or at least get better.

j

OP
MantisStyle21

MantisStyle21

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Radical view:

It doesn't matter. As long as you're breathing in when you're supposed to breath in and out when you're supposed to breath out, compressing on (and only on) extreme effort and staying oxygenated it's all good.

In fact, doing a kiai on every strike or step is bad and can get you killed. It limits the action to the speed of your breath and makes you easier to time and predict. The other guy will know exactly when you are weak and when you are strong.

As near as I can tell a lot of the "Yell on every strike and step" twaddle came from the social changes that accompanied Karate's adoption of a large group format. If you have sixty guys doing kata together you need to make sure they're all breathing. In a more traditional setting the teacher can see, hear and feel each student.

I don't give a Kiai on EVERY strike, that would seem kinda pointless cause you'd constantly be breathing out, I do it when I feel like I need a little extra power in my throws or a powerful technique (I'm the smallest guy in my class weighing 130, the biggest guy is about 290) so every last bit of OOMPH in a technique is welcomed! =D

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, From what we were taught? Kiai's can silent, it is use to help release air in lungs for more power. If you are hit at the same time of the Kiai...it should reduce the amount of wind knock out of you.

Kiai's can startle your attacker, it can help "psych" you up too!

Kiai's help release the energy in us.....mostly use on our major blows or blocks......

Many times starting with a "Kiai" before your strike...is a good useful technique, to scare/ confuse your opponent!

Just like lifting something heavy...we do it naturally too! ......Aloha

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of these:
- 'Kyuh': I start OUT with this, but about halfway through class, it inevitably goes to 'Hah'
- 'Hah': Kind of how Nelson from The Simpsons says it, only without the second 'hah.'

Latest Discussions