Musical Forms

I

IFAJKD

yeah...consistent but I add the element of if the opening doesn't close you take the hit where as with a fake you do not. It is simply designed to open another line of attack. I hate it when people spar with no sense of spatial awareness or snese of distance. Just sit back and let them throw away. Kinda like ground fighting and letting them wrestle themselves out

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When sparring lower-ranked individuals, I tend to forgive any errors in judgement they make regarding combat distancing, since it is something that has to be learned. However, if I'm fighting a black belt and he/she doesn't know their own kicking/punching range, shame on them!

A book I've been reading made a good point: for those of us with especially fast hands, we have to watch our feints to make sure they aren't too fast. In order for a feint to work, your opponent has to see it coming. If you move to fast, your opponent may miss the feint completely. So, for a three-technique combo, the timing might be: o-n-e-two-three. Then again, you can't slow it down so much that the technique is no longer threatening.

Practice!

:asian:

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

Ture, speed has to be used as anyother tool. You certainly can out speed your feints. This is however a win win situation. The real skill in my opinion is where you can feint at high speed and counter attack another line and then return to the feint target. Nice combinations:p

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The book I'm talking about (The Fighter's Fact Book by Loren Christensen) suggests that going high/low with at least four strikes (i.e.: high/low/high/low), or low/high similarly, basically causes most people's brains to 'lock up'. For example, we'll use low/high. Do a lowline kick or feint (sidekick, le coup de pied bas, front snap, etc.). Ideally, you'd want it to be a strike so as to cause enough pain for your opponent's mind to 'move' down to the shin/ankle/knee. Strike high, bringing their mind back up. Low again. High again. The theory is that if the succession of attacks is rapid enough, the brain starts to have trouble keeping up with the sensory info and your opponent doesn't know what to block/avoid. By the fourth (or fifth) technique, you should be able to land a telling blow.

I know many of the people I spar would get hit after the lowline kick, as many don't expect them. I suspect this is due to the 'headhunter' mentality many of us have.

Lowline kicks are kewl :cool:

:cheers:

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

LLK are def cool. the oblique kick is also a great tool. Bruce having taken his methods of High Low High from Southern Praying Mantis is a funny story. Evidently Bruce was dragged by Dan to see this SPM Instructor. He watched, rolling his eyes all the while as this guy went through a 50 min form. Bruce later told Dan that he couldn't believe he dragged him away from Linda and the kids to watch a 50 min kata. Dan was apologitic as he told him he thought this guy had something Bruce could use. Bruce then had Dan stop the car and he ran to this park. when Dan got there, Bruce was redoing the entire form that guy did and he did it better according to Dan. He did the entire set and said lets go. later on the way home he said...yeah, we're going to take the High Low High part and incorporate that. Interesting as told from Dan to Paul to me

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lee was simply a martial arts genius. I've read one account where Inosanto introduced escrima sticks to Lee, though Lee wasn't apparently very impressed at the time. A couple of weeks later, Lee showed Inosanto what he had come up with while experimenting with the sticks. As he went through the motions, Inosanto recognized some of them and said, "Hey, that's Largo Mano!", to which Lee replied, "I don't know what you call it, it's just what I'd do." Essentially, in two weeks and on his own, Lee had come up with a previously existing system of escrima.

Is Lee's oblique kick a variation of Savate's le coup de pied bas?

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

Yep it is and he also uses it as a stop hit from fencing and a stomp as well. He shortened it as well in some instances to a lead leg foot stop to a jab, cross and various kicks. as a kick it is a leading kick as well as a destruction. Next favorite of mine is his inverted hook kick

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was doing oblique kicks at a TKD guy during sparring a while back. He wasn't terribly experienced, but he was naturally flexible and was a kicking maniac. Well, the oblique kicks freaked him out. He thought I was trying to sweep him, when I was merely using them as leg checks. He got nervous and was afraid to kick, so I used that opportunity to punch the bejeezus out of him.

"...anything that scores."

:D

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

yee ha !a case of poor line familurization coupled with limited exposure to other systems I'd say.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It doesn't help that TKD competition sparring doesn't allow punches to the head and lowline kicks. Since many of the TKD people I've sparred with used tournament/competition rules, they freak out when any practical technique comes at them.

Now, I'm not saying this about all TKD people...just most of the people I've been sparring with. The guy running the school's TKD class actually trains realistically, and his sparring is pretty much 'anything goes', provided you can demonstrate control so as to not damage your sparring partner.

Reminds me. Was sparring another TKD guy (being trained by someone else...not the guy from school). Clocked him with a straight lead hand strike. Four times. In a row. It was like I was punching a heavy bag or some other inanimate target. First two times, it was kind've fun. After that, it felt weird. I don't think my punches are that fast.

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

Ok I know this may start some @#$% but when people judge control because of threat of harming a training partner or sparring partner I think a few things. One is it's harder to injure them than they think....assuming of course you are not utilizing HKE and eye jabs. knees aren't as vulnerable, head shots are not as devestating etc. Thos having difficulty with this can train NHB or even watch PRIDE or the watered down UFC to see that the body can take much abuse before it really is injured. This with limited protection. I have not seen an NHB match come close to a real street fight and I have not seen typical sparring ome close to an NHB fight like I have not seen forms come close to sparring

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most of the people I'm currently sparring with have little experience, so they don't know what it takes to really hurt somebody. After they take a few shots, I'm sure they'll begin to develop a better sense of contact.

When I sparred with my instructor, it was pretty much full contact expect for a few things. Elbows and knees were only light contact, with the understanding that had they landed, they would've hurt ;)

If we got down to grappling and wanted to break a hold with a bite, groin rip, or eye gouge, we would imply the motion and the grip would be released. For example, if I could break a headlock with a bite, I'd place my teeth on my instructor's gi and that 'bite' would be understood, with the hold being released. Fingertips would be placed above or below the eyes for gouges. A light tap on the cup would indicate a groin strike. By the way, we did allow lowline kicks when sparring. And if you weren't wearing a cup that day, tough cookies!

Sigh. I miss sparring like that. I have to hold myself back to much sparring the people I'm with now. Double sigh.

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

Now I'm hearing biting and more and more it sounds like FMA and JKD biting being Kino mutai (biting, eyegouging and pinching art) I really would enjoy training with you:samurai: :armed: :cheers:

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Same here. There are quite a few people on these forums that I'd love to train with.

As far as my sparring practice goes, that was completely from my instructor. From what he tells me now, the black belts at the school he's at now rarely even make contact with each other. Though he trained me classically (wide horse stances for long periods of time, punches from same, kata, etc), he always made sure to spar realistically. Unlike many traditional systems, he applauded me when I kicked his supporting leg out from under him while trying to kick me. We kicked to the shins, we ran each other into the walls...hell, he'd even yank on my ponytail. Sure, one of us (usually me) would get hurt every once in awhile, but we both had enough control so that the injuries were always very minor.

Fun, too :D

I want my Star Trek transporter!

Cthulhu

:boing2:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanna play too. :D

damn.... I second ya...def. need a transporter.

:asian:

G

GouRonin

I have been told that with Ed Parker, <i>"even the minor strikes he gave could kill ya."</i>

He was constantly saying, <i>"If you can hit. you ca miss."</i> meaning that you should have total control when working with partners.

So here you have this guy who could by all accounts crush heads like coconuts with a hammer and made sure you felt what he was doing but had so much control that you stayed alive after he worked with you and he demanded you learn the same control.

I like to work with people to and go hard but I for one also have to learn more control and I am aware of it.
:D

I

IFAJKD

Not knocking control...Never. Just reality basing it a bit...We have all been there with the "this is a kill" mentality

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Yoda said, "Control! Control! You must learn control!"

Ahem.

I find another reason to learn control is for doing drills with a partner. I've noticed that many people train to miss while doing strikes with a partner during drills. For example, if they are to do a head strike, they purposely aim to the side of the head, 'in case the partner messes up'. I prefer to train by aiming at the target and either lightly tapping it or stopping short. I think it's better to train to hit while controlling power than to train to miss.

Just my two yen,

Cthulhu

G

GouRonin

When I first started with my Teacher, "Jaybacca," I remember throwing a punch to the side of his head and he just stood there and then he smacked me. From then on, I made sure that even while working out or doing a demo it always went on target.
:cuss:

I

IFAJKD

Most of my impact training goes to focus mitts or that pads. from there it's hand trapping which requires control on both ends and execellent guard and reactions. Sparring becomes light to moderate contact and for those who wish full contact. Control is important. I do stress however just what a strike will do and I don't try to exaggerate it. Some people are just left with this "one strike stop" idea and for the most part it's a fantacy. Vu further stressed this point in a seminar here in August when he asked someone throw any kick to his knee and he took it about 6 or 7 times with no effect. The other side of the rainbow is the proper tool for the job and the opponent. Remembering that combat is fluid.

Latest Discussions