Someday ill start TKD..

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Plus, the reason You see so few Full TKD Practitioners in MMA, is the same reason You dont see Full Karatekas or Wing Chun Stylists. Theyre comfortable in their own Style, and arent in it for Competition.

There was a spin hook kick knockout at this weekend's UFC.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah and it was awesome! Not quite as "linear" as the KKW one but beautiful nonetheless.

The throw btw is the rice bag sacrifice in Judo used as a counter to morote gari (double leg takedown). It's a brown belt throw and my friend and coach was training it last night.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cyracius thanks for the video you PM'd me. I was thinking about my plan, about when im going to start TKD. Im not sure how long i should wait. My Boxing coach gives each new member a year before he says-and lets them compete in boxing. I would imagine that would be a good indicator that i have a good skillset in boxing. Tho, would it be wise to start sooner rather then later? Say in a few months instead of a year? Sooner?

I have to be patient tho, and keep to my plan. I cant go cutting corners. I just need to decide on a time frame.. Any advice on that guys?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyracius thanks for the video you PM'd me. I was thinking about my plan, about when im going to start TKD. Im not sure how long i should wait. My Boxing coach gives each new member a year before he says-and lets them compete in boxing. I would imagine that would be a good indicator that i have a good skillset in boxing. Tho, would it be wise to start sooner rather then later? Say in a few months instead of a year? Sooner?

I have to be patient tho, and keep to my plan. I cant go cutting corners. I just need to decide on a time frame.. Any advice on that guys?
You could start now. There is not a thing stopping You.
But, since You obviously want to be somewhat proficient in Boxing for whatever reason first, give it Three Months.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
HMM.. I think ill start in May.. I think that is a good time. Spring is in full swing and the weather is getting warmer.. I have my school choices narrowed down to 2, and i need to sit in on a few classes...

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
The first school im going to look at is the one i mentioned earlier, with the $95 monthly fee and the instructer has multiple black belts. The other is a Mudokwan tkd school, certified by the aau and the wtf. Its website talks heavily about the self defense techniques it teaches. It claims to teach traditional tkd, but mentiones "controlled-sparring". It also mentions that it has sport sparring as well, oylimpic aau style. Im assuming this means they have a few different styles of sparring besides the sport type, by the way it mentions controlled sparring in other places. THis one also has the longest work out time of 90mins. Gonna have to visit both schools.

Are there any questions i should be asking them when i do sit down and talk to them face to face?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first school im going to look at is the one i mentioned earlier, with the $95 monthly fee and the instructer has multiple black belts. The other is a Mudokwan tkd school, certified by the aau and the wtf. Its website talks heavily about the self defense techniques it teaches. It claims to teach traditional tkd, but mentiones "controlled-sparring". It also mentions that it has sport sparring as well, oylimpic aau style. Im assuming this means they have a few different styles of sparring besides the sport type, by the way it mentions controlled sparring in other places. THis one also has the longest work out time of 90mins. Gonna have to visit both schools.

Are there any questions i should be asking them when i do sit down and talk to them face to face?
Questions wont get You much. Having a keen eye with which to observe is better. Just avoid flash, and look for whoever takes the most straightforward and efficient approaches.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cyracius, I was doing some research on the two schools and am having second thoughts about the first one. The first school(multiple blackbelts, $95month fee) has a few things that send up my cuation flag. Firstly is the short classes, beginner through orange belt get 30min, then the green and higher get 30 min, plus a extra hour on wednesday. Secondly the instructor doesnt look fit or atheletic, I dont know if that should make a difference but it is sending up my yellow flags. Thirdly and this struck me with a caution flag was one of there belts. They issue a Camo belt, which i had read to be weary of and to look out for when choosing a school. I thought camo was a ATA only thing? The instructor says their forms have alot of KKW with some ITF forms in as well. Also stated that black belts can get KKW certified.

I dont know, but my BS meter is starting to peg with this school..

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im wondering if style of tkd matters.. ITF vs WTF and so on for self defense. My dad studied wtf style apparently. I asked him about sparring and he said he never was allowed to punch to the head during sparring, and that it was light/no contact sparring. He said that wether or not you punched the head in sparring, or had heavy contact didnt matter, as he reacted to each and every self defense situation he was in the same way he had been taught. Which included several punches to several heads.. Im thinking im should be focused less on the sparring and federation, and more on the quality of the instructor.. Besides, if i want to punch someones head, i can always do that on my boxing days...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im wondering if style of tkd matters.. ITF vs WTF and so on for self defense. My dad studied wtf style apparently. I asked him about sparring and he said he never was allowed to punch to the head during sparring, and that it was light/no contact sparring. He said that wether or not you punched the head in sparring, or had heavy contact didnt matter, as he reacted to each and every self defense situation he was in the same way he had been taught. Which included several punches to several heads.. Im thinking im should be focused less on the sparring and federation, and more on the quality of the instructor.. Besides, if i want to punch someones head, i can always do that on my boxing days...
Ok - Sparring is not Self Defense. It is teaching Movement, Blocking, Ranging, and Application, but Self Defense is a bit different. Both Orgs, and Independents do it just fine, *as long as theyre not dumping those elements in favor of Sport*.

And yeah, Camo Belts and Short Classes aint a good sign. Frankly, its better if Theyre in NO Uniform to having bloody Camo Belts.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boxing is indeed a martial art. If you enjoy it that much, why are you so interested in TKD? What is it you expect to get from TKD that you aren't getting from boxing?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that the level of contact in sparring may change from location to location, due to legal reasons. The 2 WTF clubs in my area spar with no contact due to legal reasons, insurances etc but offer a special class once a week for those wanting to compete where they spar full contact.

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is indeed a martial art. If you enjoy it that much, why are you so interested in TKD? What is it you expect to get from TKD that you aren't getting from boxing?

I do like boxing, but i have always wanted to do tkd. Im taking boxing for a number of reasons, but the big ones for me are that A. It costs me very little to do it.(coach does it for the love of the game, and to keep youth off the streets and get there parents involved in a sport with them.) B I want to lose weight and gain some fitness, which it is doing for me. C. I feel that there are somethings in boxing that will compliment TKD very well. Most of which have been mentioned previously in the thread. Stuff like getting the whole body involved in the attack, eye hand cordination development, being able to use both sides of my body for attack and defense. Being used to giving and recieving punches and training in a stressfull enviroment. There are other things as well, but im only 1 month in to the program. I cant wait to see what my development will look like 1 year from now..

I do not see my self as fit enough for TKD. I know that i could start now, but ifeel i would be handicapped by my current level of fitness. I feel that boxing will get me there, plus ill learn a great MA that compliments nearly any other MA i could care to learn. I think it would be a interesting combination, of boxing and TKD. Im so interested in TKD for a myriad of reasons.
Firstly, I want to be like my dad, one of the toughest people i know. Secondly i feel it fills in some holes that boxing has, and doesnt teach. Thirdly i want to particpate in the evolution of this fine art. Boxing reached its peak, technique wise in the 1940,s, where as TKD has the potential to keep evolving.

I dont really see boxing making it, in its current form past my or my sons lifetime. I think that it will either be slowly swallowed into the MMA realm, or fade into more of a training thing youth do to get their stand up games ready for a future in mma. I hate to say that, becuase i love it so much, but really, with the rise of the UFC and MMA i feel boxing is only going to be the first victim. Cyracius you dont feel that tkd and other TMA are going to be affected by it, but i have a feeling that is just whats going to happen. What that affect is on tmas i dont know. It could be anything from added emphasis on more ground work or more emphasis on techniques to defend agaisnt being taken down, more punching or hand work being integrated and emphasized to looser sparring rules or even more emphasis on conditioning. The effect on TMA is anyones guess and it may be for the best. I dont think the TMA will fade, becuase there is so much tradition rooted in them, and they dont seem barbaric to the non mma/boxing public.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do like boxing, but i have always wanted to do tkd. Im taking boxing for a number of reasons, but the big ones for me are that A. It costs me very little to do it.(coach does it for the love of the game, and to keep youth off the streets and get there parents involved in a sport with them.) B I want to lose weight and gain some fitness, which it is doing for me. C. I feel that there are somethings in boxing that will compliment TKD very well. Most of which have been mentioned previously in the thread. Stuff like getting the whole body involved in the attack, eye hand cordination development, being able to use both sides of my body for attack and defense. Being used to giving and recieving punches and training in a stressfull enviroment. There are other things as well, but im only 1 month in to the program. I cant wait to see what my development will look like 1 year from now..

I do not see my self as fit enough for TKD. I know that i could start now, but ifeel i would be handicapped by my current level of fitness. I feel that boxing will get me there, plus ill learn a great MA that compliments nearly any other MA i could care to learn. I think it would be a interesting combination, of boxing and TKD. Im so interested in TKD for a myriad of reasons.
Firstly, I want to be like my dad, one of the toughest people i know. Secondly i feel it fills in some holes that boxing has, and doesnt teach. Thirdly i want to particpate in the evolution of this fine art. Boxing reached its peak, technique wise in the 1940,s, where as TKD has the potential to keep evolving.

I dont really see boxing making it, in its current form past my or my sons lifetime. I think that it will either be slowly swallowed into the MMA realm, or fade into more of a training thing youth do to get their stand up games ready for a future in mma. I hate to say that, becuase i love it so much, but really, with the rise of the UFC and MMA i feel boxing is only going to be the first victim.

Boxing used to be alot more than it is today. I wouldnt rule it out.

Cyracius you dont feel that tkd and other TMA are going to be affected by it, but i have a feeling that is just whats going to happen.

Mhm. Get into the scene for a while, THEN tell me that after you notice that MMA never really comes up in conversation much, if at all, because to us itd be about as silly as bringing up Eskrima.

What that affect is on tmas i dont know. It could be anything from added emphasis on more ground work or more emphasis on techniques to defend agaisnt being taken down, more punching or hand work being integrated and emphasized to looser sparring rules or even more emphasis on conditioning.

Though Youre saying this about MA Systems that by default emphasise Conditioning more than MMA Gyms, and Systems that dont have Rules in most of their 'Sparring' Idealogies. TKD is based on the Balanced, Practical use of Punches, Kicks, Elbows, Knees, the Head, Hands, Feet, Arms, and Legs. There isnt even an emphisis away from Punching to begin with. In fact, Your Hands are Your Primary Weapons. And even at a more Sporting Dojang, most of the Kick Sparring You see is for Points.

The effect on TMA is anyones guess and it may be for the best. I dont think the TMA will fade, becuase there is so much tradition rooted in them, and they dont seem barbaric to the non mma/boxing public.

And yet they are just as, if not more Barbaric. Theres alot of stuff Youd never see in Sparring thats a big part of them, and while it isnt as emphasised as it used to be, its the reason MA are considered to be dangerous. Having Tradition is irrelevant, when having a Functional System is quintessential.
*Nods

OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cyracius, you mention that the TMA dojos emphasize conditioning more then some mma gyms, but i continue to see examples of obese over weight blackbelts. The first place i visited is a example of this.. Of course there is this famous video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cyracius, you mention that the TMA dojos emphasize conditioning more then some mma gyms, but i continue to see examples of obese over weight blackbelts. The first place i visited is a example of this.. Of course there is this famous video.
Yeah, well, lets take a gent here, Bill. Hes a Karateka, whos Overweight. Does that mean He should be held back?

At most of the Dojangs I know, if Youre not fit and decently muscular, You cannot be an Instructor, Period.
Those that arent that way, seem to be more like Gyms than Dojangs. Not to imply anything about anyone here.

Also, Good Example of Poorly Trained TKD. He should have been able to deal with such a simple maneuver at ease.

Better Video Supplement:

Comment Supplement:
As a TKD practitioner, I can honestly say that I'm happy to have seen the MMA guy mess up the TKD dude like that. There's some seriously closed minded martial artists out there that need a wake up call just like this guy received.. At least it was in the ring, not in the streets.

BayanAreef 1 month ago 8
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
K

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Edit to add, sorry about my previous post, i ment to post more with it, but had a family issue i had to deal with and had to go.
Thank you for that video, that guy was truely impressive. About the fitness thing tho, this instructer i saw was not just unfit, but morbidly obease... Im sorry but i dont see how anyone that heavy can be a instructor. Also why im trying to loose more weight, tho granted im half way there. IMHO there is a difference between big but muscular and morbidly obease, one can usually tell the difference. I have a friend who got me started in boxing. He is a older gent, in his 60's he is obviously over weight, but he is very muscular and still every bit as dangerous a boxer as he was in his youth.

Video comment: the video you supplied, his punches were different. He seamed to punch very quickly and with apparent power as he knocked out a few with just punches, but he seamed to be a head hunter. He seamed to be only targeting the heads of his opponents he punched at. I get reminded often that i need to not be a head hunter and to attack the body more. Needless to say tho, his videos were impressive.

Latest Discussions