Beginners Advice/Tips ?

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Ok so on monday I will be attending my first ever TKD class and as I am new to the art I was wondering if you have any tips or advice to prepare for my first session.

Im not that fit or flexable as I would like to be as I have been very inactive for some time now so I need to get my butt off Guitar Hero and get fit and active again

Also What should I expect to be doing in the beggining I know everyone teaches in different ways but isnt TKD pretty standard throughout the world?

Cheers in advance

Ian

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would keep yourself in check and do what the instructor ask of you. Remember do not try and keep up with students that have been doing it for a long time. Best of luck with your training and keep us posted.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice from Terry as always!
The instructor/s won't be expecting you to do flying kicks etc on your first class so relax and put yourself in their hands. It's their role to teach you what you need to know and they'll know your current limitations, they'll work with you to get the best from your instruction and practice. Enjoy!

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are plenty of TKD books. I'd suggest buying one and review the parts that are bound to be universal across all TKD schools such as the foot position when kicking. Many beginners do not form their striking surfaces properly when executing the front or roundhouse kicks. If you learn to shape your striking foot positions properly, you'll be ahead of the game.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just relax and enjoy class. Over time you'll figure out what you need to work on...dont' sweat it now.

Peace,
Erik

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are plenty of TKD books. I'd suggest buying one and review the parts that are bound to be universal across all TKD schools such as the foot position when kicking. Many beginners do not form their striking surfaces properly when executing the front or roundhouse kicks. If you learn to shape your striking foot positions properly, you'll be ahead of the game.

I agree that books are wonderful ways to add learn great things from. The hard part that I found as a beginner was that I didn't know WHICH books to get. I bought a book on the 1st form, but it turned out that it was a form my school didn't do.

DA has the right idea of getting a "general" TKD book that would be helpful no matter what school you attend. Perhaps even a book on stretching like Sang H. Kim's "Ultimate guide to Stretching."

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing before going out and buying books ask your instructor about what they recogmend. It is always best to do this so there is no misunderstandings.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There is probably going to be an aerobic type of workout. Do not be worried if you cannot keep up with everyone during that segment and do not push yourself too far. If you find yourself very short of breath or things start spinning or feeling light headed then pull out and sit on the side for a minute.

In the beginning you will be learning some basic kicks like the front kick, side kick and roundhouse. Listen to your instructor and learn from them. It takes lots of practice to get kicks right. When the instructor corrects you it is a learning experience and not a telling-off.

Above all else, have fun!!!!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure your instructor had adults start before. Unlike kids we really do have fitness issues and usually we (as instructors) tell the adult beginner to do as many as they can, you attend class on a regular basis these things will go away.

You might want to come a little early and do some stretches before, you know, the universal standards, gingerly as not to hurt yourself, but to warm up a little before you start. it helps me to get more out of a class.

Don't sweat it. put book buying on the back burner, check out the library, they sometimes have something and you don't have to pay for it, especially good if it's the wrong style. You can find a lot of interesting stuff on the net, regarding the overall Art and history, but the actual moves I would leave to your instructor. It is harder to unlearn a mistake than to start from scratch.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enter the class with an open mind..Forget all the crap you have seen or heard about TKD..Listen to your teacher....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and post back on how it went!

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You will probably feel awkward and silly doing difficult athletic maneuvers you've never tried before in a pair of cotton pajamas. You will probably feel like everyone there is looking at you and secretely laughing up their sleeve.

They aren't.

They feel silly too. They're just as scared that everyone is looking at them. In fact, everyone is so self conscious that no one is looking at anybody. Just relax, listen to your instructor, and have a good time. Martial arts are fun, intellectually engaging, and empowering. With time, you can find a great deal of value in their practice.

But remember, you are still a human being. Expect to be challenged and stretched beyond your comfort zone, but do not allow yourself to be taken advantage of. If you are being brutalized, or asked to do things which you find distasteful, express your concerns. A good school with reputable instructors will listen thoughtfully and address them. If they don't, it is not a good school with reputable instructors. Move on.

-Rob

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enter the class with an open mind..Forget all the crap you have seen or heard about TKD..Listen to your teacher....
This is probably the best advice for a beginner in ANY art that I've ever seen posted here. And worth repeating.

I'll just add one more thing: Have fun!

Garrett7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Be very humble to everyone. Let all of the knowledge soak in.

But most of all dont feel bad if you cant pull off a technique right away. We make it look really easy but it takes a lot of practice and hard work!

Oh, to help you progress faster ( learn the techniques better) try practicing at home at least 15 minutes everyday. You will start to notice that you grasp everything much better that way!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You will probably feel awkward and silly doing difficult athletic maneuvers you've never tried before in a pair of cotton pajamas. You will probably feel like everyone there is looking at you and secretely laughing up their sleeve.

They aren't.

They feel silly too. They're just as scared that everyone is looking at them. In fact, everyone is so self conscious that no one is looking at anybody. Just relax, listen to your instructor, and have a good time. Martial arts are fun, intellectually engaging, and empowering. With time, you can find a great deal of value in their practice.

But remember, you are still a human being. Expect to be challenged and stretched beyond your comfort zone, but do not allow yourself to be taken advantage of. If you are being brutalized, or asked to do things which you find distasteful, express your concerns. A good school with reputable instructors will listen thoughtfully and address them. If they don't, it is not a good school with reputable instructors. Move on.

-Rob

I had to laugh at this. But it is true.

I remember when I was a greenbelt, falling over myself practicing hook kicks a new whitebelt asked me if I was as uncoordinated as she was when I started. I was a bid puzzled, I mean, I felt like I was falling all over the place, didn't this woman have eyes in her head?! Even as higher rank, we still have our days when nothing fits right. We get a bit better in noticing and adjusting, but's all the same. We all have been there, some remember better than others but we all did it. Like learning to walk, we take our spills.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had to laugh at this. But it is true.

I remember when I was a greenbelt, falling over myself practicing hook kicks a new whitebelt asked me if I was as uncoordinated as she was when I started. I was a bid puzzled, I mean, I felt like I was falling all over the place, didn't this woman have eyes in her head?! Even as higher rank, we still have our days when nothing fits right. We get a bit better in noticing and adjusting, but's all the same. We all have been there, some remember better than others but we all did it. Like learning to walk, we take our spills.

I remember how ridiculous I felt learning the kicking sets. Every time I felt like a fish out of water. I forced myself to practice in front of lower ranking students as a lesson in humility for me, and a lesson that new material is always difficult, regardless of rank, for them.

I spent years convinced that everyone was laughing at how uncoordinated I was until I realized that everyone was too embarressed to look at anything but themselves in the mirror.

-Rob

OP
phobia08

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
So much support and great advice

Just hours away now to my first session and im so looking forward to it I will keep you posted here on how it goes.

Many thanks again and I hope to be able to get in on the other threads when I more wisdom to share

Ian

OP
phobia08

phobia08

White Belt
Reaction score
I did it and the first session is over

so we started with a good amount of warm up stretches and so on, if I was to say im not hurting right now I would be talking an utter load of crap (I feel like I have been hit by a train) but also I feel good for doing it.

The trainers and students made me and my son feel very welcome and comfortable and we did plenty of stuff in the 2 hours we where there, cant wait for Thursday

we where doing something we need to learn before the first pattern but I cant remember what this is called so if any of you can let me know I would be grateful

Cheers to all

Ian

Latest Discussions