Superman jab-cross+ 2 kick tkd combo

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
30+ views with 8 more people on this thread right now and no comments? Have my MT brethren grown shy in my absence? Lol. Speak up,folks...or leave comments directly on my video.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those are some impressive kicks. I don't have the flexibility or strength to kick that high, so I wouldn't try it, but the general premise of a jab/cross/front kick/spin kick combo is always sound. Linear attacks man. Press and press and press. I like to practice this kind of combination to back the opponent to the wall, then move in to close range with a checking grab, work some body strikes and presses, then back out again to long range. I've drilled kenpo students moving in and out in and out offensive and defensive, it can get pretty intense with a partner. We practice the same basic concept grappling in a close/far drill moving chi sao to pummeling and back to chi sao again. You can work the same striking concept in close with elbows and knees and sweeps pretty effectively too. Tasmanian devil style. Always impresses the underbelts.

-Rob

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where's the TKD? I see a modified boxing/kickboxing stance, a kickboxing movement, a kickboxing rhythm, boxing hands, kickboxing power generation (as opposed to TKD's), and so on, with only one moment (the back kick at about 1:50) being recognisable as TKD.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to martial arts, so I wouldn't feel so comfortable to talk about specific combo presentations like this -- not like I was so sure about what I was saying. But once ATACX GYM ask us to speak up, there's my 2 cents:

I appreciate particulrly your feinting/footwork in the video. I believe this could be one of the most important parts of sparring/fighting, even before we really attack -- we have to know the right time to do it, and maybe create the opportunity, making the opponent behave as we plan.
Training comboes seems a nice idea, once the practitioner trains enough to make it become natural, and with natural response. I believe every setting in a fight asks for a different response, but surely if we train hard some comboes (parefferentially with partners), we'll be able to use them when the time is appropriate.
I think a combo should be rather simple and the strikes should be naturally connected, making use of the mecanics or momentum acquired in the previous movements. I believe everything in your presentation fits this aspects -- although for some people the mecanics could be a little too hard to perform, or risky. But, as I said, I'm just a practitioner, not a master, so maybe I still don't have enough knowledge to comment on this.
Lastly, I believe taekwondo is a martial art that should be open to most kinds of new techniques, but I honestly have never seen or heard of a superman punch/jab in a strict taekwondo training. But this isn't an aspect that could reduce the value of the combo idea by itself.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where's the TKD? I see a modified boxing/kickboxing stance, a kickboxing movement, a kickboxing rhythm, boxing hands, kickboxing power generation (as opposed to TKD's), and so on, with only one moment (the back kick at about 1:50) being recognisable as TKD.

I watched the video and see lots of taekwondo. Even the punches. He is correct though, usually the "superman punch", is usually done with the rear hand, and not the front. But I am curious, what did you mean when you said "kickboxing power generation (as opposed to TKD's)? What is the difference, in your opinion?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched the video and see lots of taekwondo. Even the punches. He is correct though, usually the "superman punch", is usually done with the rear hand, and not the front. But I am curious, what did you mean when you said "kickboxing power generation (as opposed to TKD's)? What is the difference, in your opinion?
Shoulders instead of Hips if Im not mistaken.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which art is the shoulders and which one is the hips?
Kickboxing and Boxing Generate most of their Power in the Shoulders and Collarbone, and sometimes with a Foot Pivot.
Taekwondo tends to Generate most of its Power from Hip Rotation, Collarbone Rotation, and less often a Foot Pivot.

Ive seen it done differently in some smaller Independents, but usually the Power for Punches, for instance, is generated by not rotating the shoulders, and turning the Hip. As oppose to the other way around in Boxing.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With that sequence of techniques here is my critiques on it. So take it for what its worth. 1) Point blank way to much movement. Better hope your endurance is tip top. I'd let you waste your energy all day moving around like that. 2) A strategic fighter will see after the first feint that your trying to throw him of timing and ryhthm. 3) Once your opponent who is a strategic fighter can figure out your rhythm by the third feint when you start to commit then he'll execute a counter based on that feint. 4) I saw an outside to inside crescent kick going into an ax kick not bad 5) Again with the feints from upper body to lower body, on the knee feint I would personally turn that knee into an actual move and not use it as a feint. Once you make contact with the knee there momentum will most likely start backwards then you can follow through with the ax kick.

Always here to help and critique hope I wasn't to harsh on it but being a fighter trained in Tae Kwon Do, Tai Chi, and Shotokan Karate I'd limit the feints us that to your advantage.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is wrong. It overlooks the legs which I think is the most important element. Tons of stuff out there on this. Here is one: http://robpilger.com/tag/boxing-mma...ines-drills-tips-advice-drills-olympic-lifts/

I know there is better stuff.

See this at 4:20 "Kinetic Linking"

The same principles apply to all physical activities.
Im not covering every single aspect of power generation here, this isnt an essay :D Im speaking generally. TKD involves hip rotation on most of its strikes and blocks. Boxers tend to use their shoulders more than anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, Cyriacus basically got it right. With regard to things like Kinetic Linking, while pretty much all arts have a form of it, it is done in a different way, with a different emphasis, and so on, in different arts. I do agree that inclusion of the legs in kickboxing is a big part of it (rather than just shoulders), but the use of the hips is rather different, as is the angling of the body, a range of postural cues, and so on.

OP
ATACX GYM

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I freakin love the responses on this thread. Thank you one and all. Training now so I can't respond in depth as I prefer but I will do so either today or tomorrow soon as I get a chance. Again, thanks one and all...constructive criticism or unadulterated support? I appreciate all of them and the entire spectrum in between.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Techniques differ with instructors, so I won't tell you anything is incorrect, but rather how I teach it. I also understand you practice multiple arts, which gives you more of a hybrid style, and there's nothing wrong with that.

First and foremost, what concerns me are the hands. We don't hold out hands loosely as a boxer would. I have a newer student who boxed previously and getting him out of that habit is difficult. Our hands are tight and our punches direct. Also,I don't teach "Superman" anything. I prefer to stay grounded and extend power through the body beginning from the rotation of the back foot. I never teach striking with both feet off the ground; hand or foot. While they can be effective, a timed counter strike in that position can be a show stopper. It's risky and I don't prefer to give my opponent any opportunity. I do like your foot movement, but I prefer to feint from the hips and knees as well as the shoulders. Makes it more difficult for an opponent to "time" you. Lastly, I prefer to target the lower extremities with kicks. While all your kicks target the head, it looks great for TV, but not as effective IMO in real life. Example: A back kick driving through an opponent's mid section can launch him, while a high kick has the effect more like an uppercut, or a high spin kick is a slow developing kick that exposes your extremities or is easily countered with a leg sweep. Turning your back on an opponent, even briefly, is never a good idea unless your controlling the action such as taking him to the ground in a lock. All in all, I felt the technique was slow and predictable. If an old guy like me can time you, I'd hate to see what a young guy would do. Again, just not how I would teach it.

As always, even maybe sounding critical, I love your video's and appreciate that you take the time to share! Keep 'em coming!

Regards,

Latest Discussions