soemting about the side kick

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Follow up question. How is one surface of the foot better than the other for each of the applications described?

i believe the heel is better for penetration because of the smaller surface area.

if the force of the kick is the same either way, penetration can be achieved by reducing the surface area that is delivering the force.

classic example if the old "bed of nails" trick. Stand on one nail, your weight will force you down on the nail and it will go right through your foot. Stand on 100 nails, and no ONE nail is supporting enough weight to cause it to penetrate your foot.

So, the blade edge is a larger surface, and isnt suitable for penetration (through some would surely disagree with this) IMO, thats why it is used for snapping kicks, while the heel is used for thrusting style kicks.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i believe the heel is better for penetration because of the smaller surface area.

if the force of the kick is the same either way, penetration can be achieved by reducing the surface area that is delivering the force.

classic example if the old "bed of nails" trick. Stand on one nail, your weight will force you down on the nail and it will go right through your foot. Stand on 100 nails, and no ONE nail is supporting enough weight to cause it to penetrate your foot.

So, the blade edge is a larger surface, and isnt suitable for penetration (through some would surely disagree with this) IMO, thats why it is used for snapping kicks, while the heel is used for thrusting style kicks.
Another factor with the heel is that the transfer of torque is greater due to it being positioned with the rest of the kick directly behind the striking surface, whereas the edge of the foot is off axis.

Daniel

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good discussion!

Do folks use the blade or heel when blocking (i.e. cut-kick motion)?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think that might depend on how one defines or uses the "Blade edge"

In the Chang Hon system this is called the "Foot Sword" and it is only comprised of the rear 1/3 of the outside edge of the foot. As such it probably has less surface area than striking with the heel . The ability to only use this rear 1/3 is due to the fac that the foot is flexed in relation to the leg so that the angle is, as much as possible less than 90 degrees, so that the 1/3 edge is the part that primarily contacts the target.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another factor with the heel is that the transfer of torque is greater due to it being positioned with the rest of the kick directly behind the striking surface, whereas the edge of the foot is off axis.

Daniel

Not for the footsword which is basicaly the edge of the heel only, and still in line with the power / axis.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are talking about the edge of the heel, it is still the heel, and thus would be a better strking surface than the edge of the foot further forward. Also, if striking with the heel edge, the foot is angled, placing the edge more directly in line with the force of the kick.

Just to clarify, when I use the term 'edge' of the foot, I mean the area that is fully ahead of the heel but behind the outer toe joint, which on my foot is roughly about three inches or so. Behind that, the edge is fairly solidly into the heel area. Ahead of that, the bones are smaller and more succeptible to damage.

Daniel

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. S., and all who contributed. Many good points. Yet, as you can see, before an intelligent discussion can ytake place everyone involved must understand how the terms are used.

So, as we have seen, what one person calls the "Blade" may not mean the same to others. Same goes for "Snapping" and "Thrusting"

So, thanks to all who were kind patient enough to explain their terminology when asked .

jeorf

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I'm actually going to hit something I'll hit it with my heel but will always at least try to position my foot as a "blade". (If I'm just practicing techniques, doing forms, combinations, etc I always aim the side/blade.) By turning the toes down and supinating the foot it feels that the entire leg muscle chain is enganged in a more powerful position than if I am aiming a flat heel at something (thus, I'm usually not terribly powerful when I'm kicking a bag/target/board because I'm actually thinking about hitting with my heel - honestly, I just don't make intense contact with stuff all that often so I'm not practiced enough).

Latest Discussions