Back kick

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What's your target? Target determines situation determines what to strike with.

That position seems to dictate a sparring mode using bare feet and also lends itself to variables. There are additional factors present here for outside of the training facility. Depending upon what one wears, attempting to get the blade angle could be very difficult if not impossible to attain. Additionally, the leg angle of attack (ie; knee position) can be at risk if the leg is not fully extended. As pointed out, the wrist is also subject to this problem, but all the practice in the world cannot exclude the fact that at any given time, under pressure, the punch can be thrown and the wrist will be in the wrong position and damage is done. Same for the ankle, so personally, I find it preferable to eliminate possible sources of self injury. I'm not trying to reform everyone reading these posts, even though it may seem that way. I'm offering, no, just passing on information that was presented to me and it made practical and biomechanical sense.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed on that. When practicing in street cothes, what I'm wearing on my foot will affect how I strike. I'm more likely to keep my foot straight and strike with the heel if I'm wearing any shoes with any sort of ankle. Lower cut shoes or sandles then I go with the blade edge, depending again on whhat I'm trying to accomplish. I also find practicing in footwear that the extra weight makes some finer foot control motions harder to accomplish

Though, I've met a lot of people who kick with the blade edge, and teach that way, and I've kicked a lot like that, against heavy bags and bodies and such. I've run into people who say "shouldn't do that because of the risk of injury" but I'll say I haven't met anyone who said "should'nt do that because I used to do it and got hurt"

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
My own opinion is, that as long as the heel portion of the foot delivers the blow, it doesn't matter whether the toes are pointing down or sideways.
( I hope I understood your question correctly)

As for striking with the heel, not only is it the hardest part of the bottom of the foot, but it is in direct alignment with the bones of the lower leg which will be directly transmitting the power generated by the upper leg and butt muscles. If you throw this kick with power and strike primarily with the front part of the foot, you risk significant injury to your ankle and calf muscles.
It does matter. If your toes face anywhere but down you body will then pull to the right or left and your muscle grouping change. That may be fine but a goal in martial arts should be to graft a thrust when possible. Thrust is more powerfull...
Sean

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Is there a difference between your back kick, reverse side kick, and your spinning side kick. Were I practice the reverse and spin, I really do not practice the back kick as much.

TSD, is a bit different......but you can see the simularities. Chamber theory, point of impact and extention theory are much the same. Phylosophy is a bit different, forms are a bit different - but if you watch some of the TSD forms and compre them to the Generals 'Sine Wave' movements in the ITF forms......they are on the same path.

What a reverse side kick? Anyways, no not really (difference between the back kick and spinning side/back kick) except the spinning. I wish I could show you some how LOL. I'm not very good at explaining unless I can show you how I kick.

Yes, I agree that ITF TKD and TSD are similar. But WTF (which I do now) is a little more different from TSD than ITF is. Again, this I would have to show you some how LOL.

I seen some ITF guys kick. They look very similar to what I do. If you would like a link to the vids I saw, let me know. I'll post them. They are awsome (BUT very long).

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
What a reverse side kick? Anyways, no not really (difference between the back kick and spinning side/back kick) except the spinning. I wish I could show you some how LOL. I'm not very good at explaining unless I can show you how I kick.

Yes, I agree that ITF TKD and TSD are similar. But WTF (which I do now) is a little more different from TSD than ITF is. Again, this I would have to show you some how LOL.

I seen some ITF guys kick. They look very similar to what I do. If you would like a link to the vids I saw, let me know. I'll post them. They are awsome (BUT very long).

I would enjoy the posts (vids) My uncle is an USTF (ITF) 7th Dan, formerly under the General himself, now under GM Sereff. I get most my ramblings from him.

Back kick is strait behind you. Reverse side is in front but turning backwards (Left foot forward) look over your right shoulder *that's the way you're turning* execute the Right side kick put your foot down - end with right foot forward. Spinning kick is the same set up but instead of your foot dropping after the kick you keep spinning so you end up with your left foot forward.

Master Fluffy

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you throw this kick with power and strike primarily with the front part of the foot, you risk significant injury to your ankle and calf muscles.

I re-read that closer and wanted to clarify a point. The "blade edge" of the foor it not the front part of the foot, any more than the knife edge or ridge edge of the hand is at the fingers. The blade edge of the foot is still in alignment along the lower leg; it's basicaly the 'edge of the heel', if you will, and the edge of the back of the foot. So you are still driving straight through from the leg into the target, it's just a matter of striking with the rounded portion of the heel versus rotating the ankle down a bit to strike with the edge of the heel/edge of the foot as you drive in.

I agree that kicking with the edge of the front part of the edge of the foot could be not very wise. In the same way that a roundhouse kick with the toes versus the instep is pretty painful too.

In many hours kicking a heavy bag with the 'blade edge', as the back of the edge of the foot, I haven't felt anything even slightly uncomfortable due to alignment; I've defiitely hurt my hand and wrist more often with misplaced punches. But that's based on kicking with the edge of the back of the foot, not the front.

So if I'm reading properly from the above that you took 'blade edge' as meaning the front of the foot, then I can see your apprehension about kicking like that, and wanted to clarify that that's not what I intended

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
I would enjoy the posts (vids) My uncle is an USTF (ITF) 7th Dan, formerly under the General himself, now under GM Sereff. I get most my ramblings from him.

Back kick is strait behind you. Reverse side is in front but turning backwards (Left foot forward) look over your right shoulder *that's the way you're turning* execute the Right side kick put your foot down - end with right foot forward. Spinning kick is the same set up but instead of your foot dropping after the kick you keep spinning so you end up with your left foot forward.

Master Fluffy

Thanks Fluffy :) I gotta try that Reverse side thing. I just never heard of it, but it sounds cool. I'll try it ;)

OMG!!! I lost my link. I'll google it and post it for you later.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
In many hours kicking a heavy bag with the 'blade edge', as the back of the edge of the foot, I haven't felt anything even slightly uncomfortable due to alignment; I've defiitely hurt my hand and wrist more often with misplaced punches. But that's based on kicking with the edge of the back of the foot, not the front.

It's worth noting that the knife edge is more prone to breakage than the heel is. If you catch an elbow or a shin right, you've netted yourself a broken foot. (This is compouned by the natural reaction of a fighter with his hands up reacting to a side kick aimed at the floating ribs etc. Doesn't take much to drop an elbow on the tool while it's coming in for example.)