I was alone and not very happy but.....

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last nigh I went to dojan to tha last class of the evening, all the guys were leaving the dojang and I was the only one person to train, I was not confy at all but it was me and nothing else, I was very quiet and aproached sambonim and told him I will do a nice warm up cause I felt my body so stiff and he gave me thumbs up. My warm up was nothing special some flexibility most of all but not to the point to be unconfortable, then I did some basics you know high,low and midle defenses or blocks, then front kicks,round house kicks (to the stomach area) and side kicks to finish with combo of ogul maki paro chirugi, this loosess me a bit.

I was completly alone in the mat, sambonim was doing office paper work so I did poomsae..... ohhh...I'm a looser.... poomsae 4 didn't do it very well, poomsae 5 no problem, poomsae 6 a little problem but I got it, poomsae 7 afther some pases I remeber it, poomsae 8 what a disgrace, Koryo not to good, Kungam very well.

I was very desapointed, did not like it, I confuse some poomsae with other, so I steped out the mat and went for help but sambunim was bussy, so practicaly sat down near his desk and waited till he could hear me.

We had a very nice chat, we talked about many things from TKD, MA magazines, his last travel to Korea (last month), his family and the next Hap Ki Do semminar we are going to have on september 26-27.

I asked sambunim to do a review with me of the poomsae next class cause I'm very sad about my performance in poomsae, I mean I am not a competitor anymore, my kicking abilities are not outstanding so I have to focus on poomsae and SD.

We were chating and chating and chating in a very relaxed way when my cel phone began to ring, it was wife asking if something went wrong cause it was too late, so I grab my stuff and went back to home afther 11 pm had a nice souper made by myself, a nice bath and some reading before sleep.

These days afther training my feet aches me, they feel tired and swore wath can I do to remedy this? some medicine you can recomend me?

Not all was bad, I did some work out and have a nice chat last night.

Manny

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes a solo workout is much harder than a group class since you can push yourself harder.

Looks like you rescued the evening by having a workout, reviewing material you need to improve upon, and ending with a nice discussion with your instructor.

Keep working hard Manny!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye. I have found that work much harder when I'm practising solo than if I'm under 'normal' class conditions. It can be very beneficial as you can be as critical of your performance as you like and demand repetition of yourself until you've pinned down what it is that needs fixing. In 'class', the pace and number of 'repeats' tends to be that of the group.

EDIT: Of course, I do Iai rather than TKD but the principles remain true.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I like to train solo because I do my own warmup at my pace, so I do it slowly trying to not hurt myself thus my warm up is very deep and confortable, also I focus in the TKD I like to do, mostly blocks,punches and strong mid section kicks that is what works for me and also do poomsae trying to remeber each move and use slow motion to do the poomsae well.

Also I enjoy alot teaching the class to beginers cause they are open to learn some stuff rather than just kick heads.

The thing is that last tuesday I was very quiet and this is not me, but at leas as I told you I did exercise (work out), sweat profusely and had a nice chat.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another night alone but this time with a good atitud, I retook the taeguk training and this time a fellow helped me to get what I was missing in the teaguks, I made taeguk 4,5,6,7 y 8. Next tuesadya I will do them againg till they come fluenty and without mishaps.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another night alone but this time with a good atitud, I retook the taeguk training and this time a fellow helped me to get what I was missing in the teaguks, I made taeguk 4,5,6,7 y 8. Next tuesadya I will do them againg till they come fluenty and without mishaps.

Manny
Hi Manny,

Do you perfer to be alone or is this the only times you have to get in some training? I know that from time to time training alone is good and has it's advanatges, but on the flip side of that coin, training with a partner can also be fun and has it's advantages also.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Manny,

Do you perfer to be alone or is this the only times you have to get in some training? I know that from time to time training alone is good and has it's advanatges, but on the flip side of that coin, training with a partner can also be fun and has it's advantages also.

Well TKD class from 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm is a crowded class with young fellows, some children and moms, this class is a very good one a very demamding one I must say but it's only kicking with some poomsae. The next class 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm is senior class however the only senior it's me and sometimes no more than two beginers.

Do I prefer to be alone? not really in fact in my Kenpo Class I have 5 or 6 fellow clasmates of around 25 years old, however in the TKD class I would ratter do my class alone or with one or two senior fellows to train with kids.

Manny

Latest Discussions