soemting about the side kick

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just want to know your way of thinking about the side kick. The part of the foot I use as striking area in a side kick is the heel because I think that generates more power cause all the mass is put in such a small area.
However there people who uses the edge of the foot.

How do you use the side kick, edge or heel?

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Heel.
Anyone using the edge is only asking for trouble. weak kick or broke foot.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Heel.
Anyone using the edge is only asking for trouble. weak kick or broke foot.

I just seem to get my foot to make the blade, so I use the heel. Maybe I suck, i don't know....

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The rationale for using the edge of the foot is for precision when aimed at smaller targets where a thin striking edge might slip in while the heel cannot. It's not an either/or situation... The right tool for the right job.

I do agree the appeal of the heel side kick is more apparent. More power, more reach, easier to learn, etc.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just want to know your way of thinking about the side kick. The part of the foot I use as striking area in a side kick is the heel because I think that generates more power cause all the mass is put in such a small area.

Manny
Do you still make a blade with the foot, or do you kick with the foot in its natural position?

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Manny

In my school...heel only.

IMO, to lead with the edge/blade of the foot is asking for a sprained ankle or worse. There are many small bones in the foot and flexing the foot off of the linear to hit with the edge/blade for a side kick is a strong and powerful kick with a weak link at the ankle and foot.

Michael

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Manny

The edge is used. Watch how most people walk. The outside back third edge usualy touches down first. Anatomicaly the body is used to impact at this position.

Have you hear of a "Heel Spur" . This is caused by calcification at the bottom of the bone below the hel pad. Very painful. Repeated impact in this area can cause this condition.

Do you punch with the 2 large knuckles? Do you subscribe to the theory of concentration of force over a small surface area for greater destructive force? Then, the bottom / ouside back third edge gives this benefit.

Do you subscribe to the Hydrostatic shock theory? (See my article in Totally TKD) . If So, outside bottom back third edge is the tool to use.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always use my foot in a natural position, I mean I trust the heel.

Manny

Natural position? If most people check the bottom of the shoes they have worn for a while, for walking, they will note it is most worn at the outer back edge.

Note. Some people don't hve a "Normal Walk" so it does not apply to all.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
snapping side kick i use the blade edge

thrusting kicks i use the heel.

depends on the need, so i teach both.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
We use the heel, because our kicks are performed with a stomping action a majority of the time. Does more crushing damage that way (like to the knee, isn't there a thread asking if knee is a good target).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
snapping side kick i use the blade edge

thrusting kicks i use the heel.

depends on the need, so i teach both.

Could you please give an example of how / when you would use each.

The terms "Snapping " and "Thrusting? mean different things to different people and in different systems.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, a snapping kick is faster and doesnt have as much penetration

a thrusting kick doesnt snap back, is slightly slower but drives THROUGH the target

generally, i feel thrusting kicks are more effective, but teach both so they know the difference.

good example would be for sport sparring, we use snapping kicks, for SD, we use thrusting kicks.

another good example, if the target is close to the surface, like the patella, a snapping kick might be better, whereas if you are kicking to the body, you want penetration so you use a thrusting kick

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, a snapping kick is faster and doesnt have as much penetration

a thrusting kick doesnt snap back, is slightly slower but drives THROUGH the target

generally, i feel thrusting kicks are more effective, but teach both so they know the difference.

good example would be for sport sparring, we use snapping kicks, for SD, we use thrusting kicks.

another good example, if the target is close to the surface, like the patella, a snapping kick might be better, whereas if you are kicking to the body, you want penetration so you use a thrusting kick

Thanks for the explanation. Follow up question. How is one surface of the foot better than the other for each of the applications described?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Manny
Both are technically correct. In a side kick, done correctly, the toes are pointed down at a slight angle and the edge of the foot and the heel are most prominent in terms of striking surfaces. This is to protect the toes and the softer flesh of the inner arch that does not touch the ground when walking (I do not know the anotomical term).

Twin Fist mentioned thrusting and snapping kicks (the snapping was called a risiing kick when I was in a Shotokan class twenty five years ago). The thrusting kick uses the heal as the main striking surface. A side thrusting kick to the medium pan pizza sized target between the ribs and the hip bones is very effective. As you are striking the squishy stuff, the heel is a good striking surface.

The side rising kick is a snapping kick and would be aimed effectively at the chin/neck area or perhaps the armpit and uses the edge of the foot. It is has more of a whipping action and is a faster kick, as T/F pointed out. As there is less power in the kick, but it is faster, the edge of the foo

The rising kick is executed with the leading leg, while the thrusting kick is generally executed with the rear leg, though one could chamber the leading leg and perform a thrusting kick as well.

Daniel

Last edited:
OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both are technically correct. In a side kick, done correctly, the toes are pointed down at a slight angle and the edge of the foot and the heel are most prominent in terms of striking surfaces. This is to protect the toes and the softer flesh of the inner arch that does not touch the ground when walking (I do not know the anotomical term).

Twin Fist mentioned thrusting and snapping kicks (the snapping was called a risiing kick when I was in a Shotokan class twenty five years ago). The thrusting kick uses the heal as the main striking surface. A side thrusting kick to the medium pan pizza sized target between the ribs and the hip bones is very effective. As you are striking the squishy stuff, the heel is a good striking surface.

The side rising kick is a snapping kick and would be aimed effectively at the chin/neck area or perhaps the armpit and uses the edge of the foot. It is has more of a whipping action and is a faster kick, as T/F pointed out. As there is less power in the kick, but it is faster, the edge of the foo

The rising kick is executed with the leading leg, while the thrusting kick is generally executed with the rear leg, though one could chamber the leading leg and perform a thrusting kick as well.

Daniel

Nice Mr.Sullivan, very nice in fact I use the side kicks as you mentioned in your first paragraph, this is teh exact way I do the side kick, sliding side kick,back kick,etc.

Manny

Latest Discussions