"So, you think you can take me?"

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Heh? What? Martial Arts is properly applied violence. Martial Arts helps the proficient in Martial Arts, and possibly, those they choose to help. Other than that, it is very much about hurting people, so they cannot hurt you.

OK, that is pretty obvious and it is what I learned in my 1st lesson. That is the very surface of what martial arts are truly about. Thanks
icon14.gif

I was going for something a little bit deeper than that.
icon12.gif

How and why should we, as martial artists, help someone who is trying to hurt us?

Just something to think about.

Michael

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, that is pretty obvious and it is what I learned in my 1st lesson. That is the very surface of what martial arts are truly about. Thanks
icon14.gif

I was going for something a little bit deeper than that.
icon12.gif

How and why should we, as martial artists, help someone who is trying to hurt us?

Just something to think about.

Michael
Two ways:
Shesulsa has the first nailed.
Now, Don ... there's absolutely nothing wrong with helping someone to the floor really, really fast.
As to the second, we can, and should show them what happens when they pick fights with those capable of kicking their asses.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never train in public because every time I have it has scared people too badly. One time it was at a hotel that I worked security in. The janitor saw what I was doing and didn't want to work with me! He said I scared him, even though it wasn't done in his direction at all, in an empty lounge that was closed for the night. I had to assure him that I wouldn't hurt him and that part of my job was to protect him. It worked, and he relaxed. The other time was practicing straight punching while walking on a patrol, it scared somebody walking on the sidewalk. So I don't do it in public anymore.
How about "don't train openly when you're supposed to be working" instead of "don't train outside"?

Sometimes, the problem isn't that you're training outside... it's the time or place. If you're doing martial arts in the park right next to the soccer fields or where everyone is trying to picnic... You just might freak some people out, huh? Or if you're on the clock, and you're coworkers come around a corner to see you throwing punches and kicks... again, maybe just a little bit weird, huh? Especially if they don't understand kata training...

tonbo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I've never had this sort of thing happen...then again, I don't train outside in public for that reason. Always the chance that there's someone with something they think they have to prove, and just enough stupidity to try it.

One quote I like, and I forget the source, was: "Look, you either KNOW you can take me, or you only THINK you can. If you KNOW, then what's the point? If you THINK you can, do you really want to find out?"

I also liked this one: "When someone asks me if I'm any good at martial arts, I reply, 'It depends on what you're trying to take away from me'. "

To me, it ain't worth it. If I'm in an actual confrontation, I run a risk of getting hurt myself. If I have to run that risk, I'd prefer that it not be wasted on fighting with a jerk.

"Never argue with a fool. People might not be able to tell the difference."

Peace --

--Tonbo

EIH888

White Belt
Reaction score
LOL! that's funny... sounds like you handled it well. And i wouldn't let lil wannabe "thugs" impede your normal routine.

thecrow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
that happens to me all the time, maybe that is why i'm so pissed all the time. i would have said no i bet i can take you all, that way to cops it is a bunch of punk kids jumping you in the park, but you handled it good, i was train in griff park in hollywood and i had this one spot on a hill where i always trained there was one path it went straight out and at the end was a steep drop, well i'm doing tai chi and some people on the hills next to me take up a seat, i guess i had 10 people watching, the sun was setting, it was beautiful, well a jogger starts down the path, and i think he is not going to come all the way out here to a dead end and make me stop as it is a narrow path, but sure enough he comes out with his dog, so i step over into a bush and he and his dog stop right where i was standing, and he gives his dog a good boy looks at me and looks across the hill to the people watching me and lifts his head up proud that he made me move he stands there for a few and then cuts his own path down the side of the hill, i was so pissed i too stopped for the day, and then one day wal;king back there was a local gang hanging out on the path back, they were making comments as i was in my training clothes, i was pissed that day so i walked right through them and made them move, there was five of them and 4 or 5 girls, oddy enough when one started to get close like he was going to do something a girl pulled him back and said you don't want to do that, that was satisfactory to me, i was younger then and had a ego which need that, but it happens so much and for so many years now i just say ok, it does matter what they say to get out of it once they see there mistake,they wanted a lesson and here it is, now you deal with it,
sorry if i came off angry, this story pissed me off and i'm still pissed about another post, so i am forgetting my humbleness, but yeah it happens

MrGalt

White Belt
Reaction score
that happens to me all the time, maybe that is why i'm so pissed all the time. i would have said no i bet i can take you all, that way to cops it is a bunch of punk kids jumping you in the park, but you handled it good, i was train in griff park in hollywood and i had this one spot on a hill where i always trained there was one path it went straight out and at the end was a steep drop, well i'm doing tai chi and some people on the hills next to me take up a seat, i guess i had 10 people watching, the sun was setting, it was beautiful, well a jogger starts down the path, and i think he is not going to come all the way out here to a dead end and make me stop as it is a narrow path, but sure enough he comes out with his dog, so i step over into a bush and he and his dog stop right where i was standing, and he gives his dog a good boy looks at me and looks across the hill to the people watching me and lifts his head up proud that he made me move he stands there for a few and then cuts his own path down the side of the hill, i was so pissed i too stopped for the day, and then one day wal;king back there was a local gang hanging out on the path back, they were making comments as i was in my training clothes, i was pissed that day so i walked right through them and made them move, there was five of them and 4 or 5 girls, oddy enough when one started to get close like he was going to do something a girl pulled him back and said you don't want to do that, that was satisfactory to me, i was younger then and had a ego which need that, but it happens so much and for so many years now i just say ok, it does matter what they say to get out of it once they see there mistake,they wanted a lesson and here it is, now you deal with it,
sorry if i came off angry, this story pissed me off and i'm still pissed about another post, so i am forgetting my humbleness, but yeah it happens

Oooh, tell us some more stories about how tough and awesome you are. I'll put the popcorn on.