So Long, And thanks for all the fish

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are really hung up on putting words into my mouth aren't you? censorship no, good manners yes. If I were for censorship don't you think I'd be screaming for you to be banned? As far as you are concerned you can spew as much vitriol as you like.
What I'd like to see is more discussion not less, not what pundits think we can all look them up but what posters think. You don't see that fine, at least you say so and don't post a link.
Telling people to ignore, not read or go away is censorship, many people consider there's problem here at the moment, some are trying to find a solution so that we don't appear to be a mouth piece for extreme right wing anti Muslim types. If you can't think of anything better than telling people to put up or shut up, that's a bit sad and very unhelpful.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
now you are just redefining words at will...

"Telling people to ignore, not read or go away is censorship"

no, it isnt, it is remiding them that they have an option OTHER than crying like a baby.

you go ahead and try to convince me that red is blue though, i will wait.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hoo boy. My sympathies to the board administrators who have to come up with a resolution to this stuff. I have a comment and a question regarding the Supporting-Member proposal. And no, they don't have anything to do with the fact that I'm not a SM yet.

1. Regarding the Study in general and the need to even consider the SM-solution, I just find it said that so much has been caused by 2 or 3 toxic board members. I've been posting on here for years now, and the Study's always been a source of contention, but the nature and tone of it has definitely changed for the worst.

2. As for the SM-only solution, I'm curious how that would actually solve the issue other than by just cutting down the total number of participants. Making it a pay-to-play setup won't do much when the people causing problems make their contribution. At least from my perspective, anyway.

But yeah, I lament the fact that this solution need even be discussed, or this entire thread need exist. Sadly, that's all I can really do. :(

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might add that those complaining the most seem to be the ones who are not supporting the site. Hmmm..."skin in the game," anyone...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2. As for the SM-only solution, I'm curious how that would actually solve the issue other than by just cutting down the total number of participants. Making it a pay-to-play setup won't do much when the people causing problems make their contribution. At least from my perspective, anyway.

It means that when someone gets way out of line and we're forced to remove their access, I'll get at least 1 "give me my damn money back" emails, or a complaint lodged at Paypal.

Someone will believe that their paying of the SM fee will make them immune to infraction and responsibility.

If anyone reading this thinks so, remember this:
- I suspended my own instructor once.
- I fired at least 2 staff who were close friends, clients and supporting members.
- I banned 2 SM's personally after they got out of line.
- The guy who bought the last 10 original MT tee shirts was banned a few weeks later.

I want to be rich. I want to make a living running this site.
But, I won't sell the site out for a few bucks.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to be rich. I want to make a living running this site.
But, I won't sell the site out for a few bucks.

But if someone hands me $100k US right now for it, I'd hand over the keys as soon as the check clears.
Then I'd go chase the Waltons off their mountain and put up signs telling kids to stay off my lawn.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it weren't for the study, it looks like martialtalk would be a tae kwon do site, with some wing chun posters.
This month...

But there was a lengthy stretch where the TKD section had little or no activity. The "top art" changes periodically if not regularly. One month it'll be TKD, another RBSD stuff, another one of the CMA, or sword arts or just plain "General Martial Arts." Depends on who's posting, what's going on with the politics of the organizations (we once were probably one of the most active ninjutsu sites), and just the times.

I'd love to see more martial arts activity. I try periodically to seed some threads, start some discussions in various areas that I'm interested in or have enough knowledge to get things started. Wanna help? POST THERE! Talk about your art. What'd you train on this week? If it's generic, take it to General Martial Arts. If it's specific... do it in the specific sub-forum. If it's borderline, hey -- we don't have a problem with LIMITED and appropriate multiple posting. (Usually no more than 3 duplicate/very similar threads across different forums.)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It isn’t left wing or right wing, or this party or that party, it’s extremism. Where you hold your point of view to such conviction, that nothing will dislodge you from changing it one little bit, facts be damned.

We’ve had some Canadian political discussions on here, the handful of us that are Canadian and we never got that worked up about it all. Canadian politics can be as nasty and as disturbing as any in the world, so it must be how we handle it, and not politics itself. Blade for example would throw out accusations based on what I consider a skew or lack of facts on her part, I would retaliate with facts and sources to back it up. She hasn’t changed her opinions, nor have I, but she’s not on my ignore list and we chat.

As Suk says, the JSA section is very slow….but I think it has to do with the popularity of the JSA to begin with. If we have 2000 active practitioners in North America, I’d be surprised. I have no questions regarding my MA I would ask here, after 12+ years and my Sensei living 2 minutes away from me, I can’t think of the last time I pondered anything….sad kinda….

Again, you want more activity there... share a training experience. You don't have to throw out "So, how exactly do you hold this thing? I tried grabbing the shiny, pointy part and that just didn't work so good. Though the docs say I should recover full use of my fingers next year, if I'm lucky and do all the physical therapy." question. What are you training? Have you found a good place for a hakama? Hell, did someone do something amusing by mistake, like do the wrong kata?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone will believe that their paying of the SM fee will make them immune to infraction and responsibility.

If anyone reading this thinks so, remember this:
- I suspended my own instructor once.
- I fired at least 2 staff who were close friends, clients and supporting members.
- I banned 2 SM's personally after they got out of line.
- The guy who bought the last 10 original MT tee shirts was banned a few weeks later.

And Bob has been suspended himself... Bob actually holds himself to the rules, just like any other member.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But if someone hands me $100k US right now for it, I'd hand over the keys as soon as the check clears.
Then I'd go chase the Waltons off their mountain and put up signs telling kids to stay off my lawn.
:lfao:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a paying member. Mainly because I have a budget to live by and right now, spending money for a web site is an extra I cannot afford, even though I'd like to. Does that diminish the value of the things I post? Does my opinion mean less?

I will admitt, I don't post as much in the MA sections as I probably should. In my opinion martial arts is something that has to be experienced to be understood. We could talk for years about it and not get as much information and we could trading hands once with each other. So most MA post just feel moot to me. I will post if I think I have something o offer that will be helpful. It is nice to have contact with other martial artist.

I have stopped posting in the Study as much. When I joined the site I thought it was a place to discuss various view points of the different subjects posted about. Instead I find that for some people it is just a place to put forward thier particular agenda. Facts don't mean much and certainly other people's opinions don't mean anything. It is just attack attack attack of anyone who doesn't agree with them. There is no open exchange of ideas or experiences. If you don't agree with what they post then you are just ignorant or a fool, no matter how salient, insightful, truthfull, or heartfelt the post is. If there is no honest discusion, only vile and vim, why post...or even read threads? If respect is not something honored here of all places, what is the point of voicing an opinion? Even in this thread there are examples of what I am talking about.

Having said all the above, this is a great site with some great people and I am thankful for that.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Again, you want more activity there... share a training experience. You don't have to throw out "So, how exactly do you hold this thing? I tried grabbing the shiny, pointy part and that just didn't work so good. Though the docs say I should recover full use of my fingers next year, if I'm lucky and do all the physical therapy." question. What are you training? Have you found a good place for a hakama? Hell, did someone do something amusing by mistake, like do the wrong kata?

Agreed, good point, though in the past i have tried to get some threads going and they went over like a popular UK band from 1968 - 1980....

More attempts can't hurt.

Ya ever practice iaido? or watch it? It's like watching paint dry.....:)

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, Iaido is more of a particpation thing. Watching is nice for the first couple of minutes, then its time for something more interesting.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
We can always discuss the authenticity of Ninjutsu. Or maybe inheritance issues in Kenpo or Arnis? :)

Last edited:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone knows that both Ninjustsu, kenpo and Arnis are pale shadows of the one true art Sinanju.

Hey, now that I think of it, where is the Sinanju thread. I'm surprised a short, distinguished Korean gentleman hasn't complained already.

Latest Discussions