So I got kicked out of my martial arts school, what next?

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
I challenged someone to a fight, and they didn't like that. Also i was spouting off too much on the net, and they didn't like that. Anyway to cut a long story short, i've been banned, and consequently forced to award myself my own black belt. This is not up for debate. What i would like to know if anyone else on here has been though a similar experience, and whether anyone has any suggestions for how i can get my application to be reaccepted in to the club, passed? Thanks.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I challenged someone to a fight, and they didn't like that. Also i was spouting off too much on the net, and they didn't like that. Anyway to cut a long story short, i've been banned, and consequently forced to award myself my own black belt. This is not up for debate. What i would like to know if anyone else on here has been though a similar experience, and whether anyone has any suggestions for how i can get my application to be reaccepted in to the club, passed? Thanks.
LOL. Nope. That sounds like a bridge well and truly burned.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Looks like you better find a new school chief.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I cant say I have ever challenged someone to a fight been kicked out of my school and then been forced to award myself a black belt.

Try mma. We really don't have those sorts of problems.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Ha, if I kicked you out of my club there would have been a good reason for it and I wouldn't be having you back. Usually that isn't the first step in dealing with a problem student.

But quite frankly you are clearly beyond such petty matters, since you have a self-awarded black belt, clearly the next step is to prove your personal style by dojo storming. I recommend starting with the BJJ and MMA schools.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
The egos on this site clearly haven't gone away. Clearly.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
look the last thing i want to do is dojo storming. and the second thing i want to do is join a different style. i have a mental illness, and one of the reasons they gave me for my expulsion is because of this. i understand that paranoid schizophrenia is beyond the comprehension of most people. However you might also be interested to know that i still have the contact details of one of the senseis, and whilst i was ejected from the club, there is still a possibility for me to return at some point in the future. i am not a dojo stormer, and my dan grade was bestowed on me, not self awarded. However it is kind of a secret how this happened. To be honest with you i've had it with arguing. I know people on hear want discussions about martial arts, but like i said before my battles with my mental illness and the home office (to bring over my family from africa) are key to solving this solution, may i offer?

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, being kicked out of your school does not mean that you have to award yourself a black belt. No one has to be awarded a black belt or any other rank. Rank is really just a tool for a teacher to acknowledge where a student is with his or her development within a particular system. If you aren't in a system that has such rank and you don't have a teacher whose opinion you value on your development in the art, then rank is meaningless.

You are totally correct when you say that dealing with your mental illness is vital. Until you do that, then martial arts training really won't be safe for you or your training partners. Unfortunately, no one on here is in a position to help with that. That's something you have to work on along with your doctors, your family, and your local support network. You have a tough road ahead of you and I wish you luck with it. If you can get your schizophrenia sufficiently under control so that it isn't interfering with your interpersonal interactions the way it is now, then you will have achieved something to be truly proud of that will be worth more than all the black belts in the world.

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, firstly like i said i'm not prepared to discuss my black belt. In so far as the mental health goes, i actually have a good and supportive family and nurse and psychiatrist, who i see on a regular basis. So much so that last week they even agreed to reduce my meds by 40mg to 140mg per fortnight injection (depot), which is what it was two years ago before i had a 'breakdown'. Someone with mental health concerns is by all means quite different from 'normal' people. Maybe they will never work again. Maybe i never will. But that won't stop me from completing my degree in a years time, which up until a month ago i had at least passed all of my grades. Also it won't stop me from sending pestering text messages to my old sensei, who occasionally takes the time to respond to. This life isn't easy, hell bringing my wife and daughter over from kenya wasn't easy. I had to beat the home office on appeal against their rejection, which with the help of a good legal team i did. Namaste.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone with mental health concerns is by all means quite different from 'normal' people.
I would respectfully disagree John.. having mental health concerns does not make you any different from normal.. Because what is "normal"? when we are all some where on the scale of mental health on which very few of us are at the extreme ends.. Your condition is treatable and I hope you manage to find the best combination of meds and therapies to bring you greatest relief from symptoms.. it is just like chosing an MA club or school.. some times it is right first time and others it take a bit of searching around and trying this or that.. All I want to say is that having this condition does not mean you are in any way not-normal and I would hope you would not have cause to feel that way :) Anyway sorry to digress :) Wishes Jx

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Jenna, maybe you don't have any one close who you know with Schizophrenia, or certainly not someone in your family. Well over the last ten years i have spent over a third of that time on locked psychiatric asylums, and so yes i think that i am the authority on this matter. I have been able to see both what people treat you/me from inside hospital and the outside. Have you ever heard of something called Stigma? If not i would recommend you read up on it. It is basically how some one who has suffered from this experience will never be the same again. Never the same as other people. Maybe in the eyes of the law, but even then when you are in hospital you are stripped of even this. Stripped of the ability to manage your own medication or finances. How do you think i felt for the last eighteern years not having anything but superficial access to my trust fund. Granted Jenna you have an expertise in your own life world. However, it would seem that you have little knowledge about mine. And back to my martial arts, my black belt was awarded to me last year, not because of the clubs and forums i had been ejected from, nor my achievements or the contacts i have made along the way. So you have got a stable family life, career and health, not to mention martial arts attendance? Good for you. We haven't all been that lucky!??

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Finally i would like to remind you that whereas there are medications to deal with the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia and other class one disorders, there is not, as yet, any recognised drug which deals with the etiology of it. This is a medical fact. Do you need me to reference this for you, because i can, it will take some digging though.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry Jenna, maybe you don't have any one close who you know with Schizophrenia, or certainly not someone in your family. Well over the last ten years i have spent over a third of that time on locked psychiatric asylums, and so yes i think that i am the authority on this matter. I have been able to see both what people treat you/me from inside hospital and the outside. Have you ever heard of something called Stigma? If not i would recommend you read up on it. It is basically how some one who has suffered from this experience will never be the same again. Never the same as other people. Maybe in the eyes of the law, but even then when you are in hospital you are stripped of even this. Stripped of the ability to manage your own medication or finances. How do you think i felt for the last eighteern years not having anything but superficial access to my trust fund. Granted Jenna you have an expertise in your own life world. However, it would seem that you have little knowledge about mine. And back to my martial arts, my black belt was awarded to me last year, not because of the clubs and forums i had been ejected from, nor my achievements or the contacts i have made along the way. So you have got a stable family life, career and health, not to mention martial arts attendance? Good for you. We haven't all been that lucky!??
Quite true, I do not have your first-hand personal experience of this John and but I appreciate you explaining for me. From your description it sounds more than difficult. There is a great deal of stigma around mental health, I understand this. There should not be, and but there is, that is the world we live in. Still, the ignorance of others is no reflection on you. You try your best. Your best is good enough. Wishes to you and yours, Jx

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is a journal article testifying to this fact...JAMA Network JAMA Psychiatry Family Psychoeducation Social Skills Training and Maintenance Chemotherapy in the Aftercare Treatment of Schizophrenia I. One-Year Effects of a Controlled Study on Relapse and Expressed Emotion 'Relapse rates averaging 41% in the first year after discharge among schizophrenic patients receiving maintenance neuroleptic treatment' and 'Only the combination of treatment sustains a remission in households that remain high in EE. Continuing study, however, suggests a delay of relapse rather than prevention.' That is backing up my last point.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
John, you have a problem but at least you understand that you have schizophrenia. I have a cousin with the same affliction but he just thinks he is normal and everyone else is out to get him. On medication he can be quite rational until he decides that he doesn't need the medication any more, then the cycle starts again. The other thing he has underlying it is bipolar and I'm wondering from your posts if you are in the same situation.

All I can offer is the old chestnut ... 'just don't stop taking the tablets!'

OP
john2054

john2054

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Kman. I'm not actually on the tablets but injection. as to whether i understand my disease, well this matter is mute. i recognise that 'they' love to get me in hospital, and once there they love to keep me. so from sept 2009-jan 2012 i did my two years + behind locked hospital living environs. Trust me any thing else, from martial arts to a degree, to taking my daughter to macdonalds, is a walk in the park compared to this experience. Because whereas you can go home after a three hour lecture, hospital life is 24 hours a day 7 days a week 52 weeks a year. As to my purpose of rejoining the community, i could lie and say i wanted to say some martial adventure stories with other like minded individuals, whereas my true purpose, via means of hegemony theory, is to take over the site head by head and martial art by martial art, convert and convince you that you are all mere wheels in my world beating cog, and then use that information to take over the martial world! BWAHAHAHAHA

Latest Discussions