signature move

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you have one? Or maybe a few? Or do you have a favorite technique? The one I personally use most often is the trachea grab. Most commonly known as the eagle claw to the throat. Not very impressive to watch, but it works on pretty much everyone. My second most used is the shadowless kick. It's quick, and sneaky. When sparing, my partners almost never notice me doing it. One of my teachers has a front kick to round kick combo that he likes. And he's very good at it. And another teacher of mine has a move he uses all the time. It doesn't have a name, and is hard to describe, but it gets you moving one direction then switches to throw you down with a wristlock.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite hand techniques is the upward reverse knife hand to the groin, if you keep your opponent distracted with punches to the face/head and then sneak it in underneath they will rarely see it coming.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have a signature move as I understand it. To me that would be a move that only I or a very few can do, and that I can consistently do it well. Jhoon Rhee had such a move. He could do a side kick to the face, then withdraw and kick twice more, all so fast and forcefully, his uniform would slap his calf loudly all three times he kicked. I never saw anyone else do that.

If you are talking favorite moves, that would be something different. I guess everyone has some, but I think if a person has only one or two, or even five, that person is limiting themselves, and risking becoming predictable. To put that in perspective, the MA I am belted in is Hapkido.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Inside (or sometimes outside) forearm to the head/neck, set-up by a previous knee strike and off-balancing. I'm all about the off-balancing.

Of course with a stick, most of us FMAers have a finishing move of a forehand swing to the head!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Inside (or sometimes outside) forearm to the head/neck, set-up by a previous knee strike and off-balancing. I'm all about the off-balancing.

Of course with a stick, most of us FMAers have a finishing move of a forehand swing to the head!

And the other half of us have the backhand swing to the head. :D

When I was mostly doing kenpo I was known for my sidekick.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the ER, I'm mostly known for using pressure points to convince people to stop fighting. A finger here, a thumb there, followed by some Ativan...

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about "signature moves," but I seem to be picking up the nickname "Flypaper" at a schools I've been frequenting lately. They're SKK, and very long distance tag-strikey when they pay sparring games. I'm very much a close-in, sticky-hand/grappling/locking/off balancing kind of guy. Sticky hands? Can that be a signature move???

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can't I just use the one that makes them fall down and not get back up? I am not that picky...really.

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Can't I just use the one that makes them fall down and not get back up? I am not that picky...really.

You can, but you have to preface with some sort of super-duper-cool fighting stance, preferably with a four-fingered "come-hither" gesture; and finish with a dramatic pose, preferably on one leg. Otherwise, you're just another effective, competent, efficient martial artist.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the eagle claw to the throat.

The "signature moves" is also your "door guarding moves". When your "door guarding moves" doesn't work on your opponent, it's time to put your tail between your legs and run like hell.

I like the throat control too. When you control your opponent's throat, you can smash the back of his head on the ground. It's a very powerful "finish move".

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite move is a feint its a fake that hurts

If they block it then it can set them up for all sorts of techniques and if they do not block it hurts

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that I think of it, my signature move since I'm tall and have long legs probably Crescent kick

I like that one because it swings over and back over for a second kick or switch it up with you're other leg as back kick

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back when I was a kid and me and my friend would just go on my trampoline and beat the tar out of each other for hours, my signature move was a sort of double jumping push kick. I would literally kick people off my trampoline (luckily we knew how to land on the ground without hurting ourselves).

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sadly, my signature move was breaking my own nose with a front stretch kick. Forty years later and I'm still legendary for that little gem among the old guard.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly, my signature move was breaking my own nose with a front stretch kick. Forty years later and I'm still legendary for that little gem among the old guard.

Embarrassing and laughable, but shows excellent flexibility. :)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Either that or a very large nose...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions