Sifu is pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IKR? That's like the third post he made in here complaining about it. If you don't like the thread then don't read it, it's that simple.
IKR? That's like the third post he made in here complaining about it. If you don't like the thread then don't read it, it's that simple.
Sorry. Please excuse me. I don't want to upset your glory. Please continue.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Please excuse me. I don't want to upset your glory. Please continue.

FB_IMG_1463953426172.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ironbear, comments from a certain poster have nothing to do with you, they are directed, as usual, at me, sadly I'm not 'middle aged' though, being in my sixties. He won't have read the article, he will have assumed it's something it's not, it's from a weightlifting/bodybuilding site. I actually have him on ignore but enough people have kindly told me of his very personal attack, yet another, that I though I'd better come out and say that I think he has made himself look a prat by his remarks and continued posting to try and get a thread locked. So don't take it personally, it's aimed at me not you and I have broad shoulders.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? That was a very helpful article.

Maybe tez was but ironbear replied saying it was a very useful article but geez I hope he was joking

Did you actually read the article? While I did post tongue in cheek it's a technical article from a weightlifting/body building site that talks about various hormones that the body needs and the need for balance. I don't think the article is what you think it is.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
don't you think you're being a little harsh man?Every martial artist goes through a tiger phase what he did was dumb but ease up a little bit.

Hmm… we haven't really met here yet… so believe me when I tell you that, no, in no way was I being "a little harsh" there… honestly, for me, that was quite gentle. And no, not "every martial artist" goes through a so-called "tiger phase"… nor is that what the OP is going through himself. So you're incorrect in a number of ways, really.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm… we haven't really met here yet… so believe me when I tell you that, no, in no way was I being "a little harsh" there… honestly, for me, that was quite gentle. And no, not "every martial artist" goes through a so-called "tiger phase"… nor is that what the OP is going through himself. So you're incorrect in a number of ways, really.

I'm confused, what exactly is a "tiger phase" when it's at home? Is it when a Martial Artist loses self-control and goes on a rampage? If that's the case then I sure hope the statement that everyone has one is wrong.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
ironbear, comments from a certain poster have nothing to do with you, they are directed, as usual, at me, sadly I'm not 'middle aged' though, being in my sixties. He won't have read the article, he will have assumed it's something it's not, it's from a weightlifting/bodybuilding site. I actually have him on ignore but enough people have kindly told me of his very personal attack, yet another, that I though I'd better come out and say that I think he has made himself look a prat by his remarks and continued posting to try and get a thread locked. So don't take it personally, it's aimed at me not you and I have broad shoulders.

Ah ok. I had no idea he had some bias toward you. Now I know I'll just let it be. I did find the article helpful though so thank you for posting it.

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
Never known any to have.
I guess I put it in these terms, a tiger phase is where a martial artist is impulsive and aggressive. Where they're are more hot headed and they are wanting o show they're strength and power,it's a stage where a lot hard taught lesson and where they are more willing to jump into a situation without thinking a situation through some people come out of it and some people don't but it's a transition that every martial artist goes through.it's necessary to become better.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think what he is saying is we all go through a time where we wish to test our skills so bad.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I put it in these terms, a tiger phase is where a martial artist is impulsive and aggressive. Where they're are more hot headed and they are wanting o show they're strength and power,it's a stage where a lot hard taught lesson and where they are more willing to jump into a situation without thinking a situation through some people come out of it and some people don't but it's a transition that every martial artist goes through.it's necessary to become better.
Nope not every martial artist at all. I've never done that and I've been doing martial arts in one way or another for nearly 10 years I've never been in a fight never gotten angry In sparring never hit someone to hard on purpose doing a technique never tried to hurt anyone. Of course accidents happen but nothing because of me getting hot headed and I'm sure a lot of people don't. It's not about the martial arts it's the person. If the person is aggressive it'll happen but it's nothing to do with their training.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope not every martial artist at all. I've never done that and I've been doing martial arts in one way or another for nearly 10 years I've never been in a fight never gotten angry In sparring never hit someone to hard on purpose doing a technique never tried to hurt anyone. Of course accidents happen but nothing because of me getting hot headed and I'm sure a lot of people don't. It's not about the martial arts it's the person. If the person is aggressive it'll happen but it's nothing to do with their training.

So you are perfect? You have no faults outside of martial arts?

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He's not correct though if that's what he means, not everyone does.
Exactly not all styles have competition. What about tai chi or aikido (not sure if aikido has competition but I don't think so but I could be wrong) not everyone wants to fight personally I hate the idea of fighting if I ever do need to I'd hate it. I mean I will if I have to and I'd have no problems using what I know if my life depends on it but I wouldn't feel cool or tough about it at all. I've never cared about testing myself

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know if Chris was being "harsh". He was being very direct, and that is not always the best way to get through to someone ...although that may not have been his intention.

One thing I won't do is argue with Chris. So far I've never seen him proven wrong. So, I'll just move along now... to another point:

One thing Ironbear has going for him is that he has a sense of humor:

Nope. We look nothing alike, I am more black and white in the face.

And he is generally not rude or dismissive of others on this forum. Yes, he ignores certain criticisms, to use his own words, "like water off a duck's back" when maybe he needs to take advice given more seriously. On the other hand, he doesn't respond angrily or vindictively in print the way a few forum members do. Based on that, I gotta give him some credit. :)

@Ironbear24 -- I'd say try listening to some of the advice given, especially from your instructor. Try talking to him privately at a calm moment and admitting that you have some issues. Ask for his advice. After all, he is the only one who actually knows you. We don't. Maybe he can work with you to help you. IMO Sgraves wasn't totally off the mark. Many young martial artists do work through a "show-off" phase that can lead to some bullying behavior. I don't think I did, but I've seen it in others. Typically it showed up somewhere between green and brown belts, and significantly no-one at that school was given black unless they'd worked past it.

Another thing, if you are using anything involving testosterone supplements, Seriously, I'd cut it out. That stuff can really mess with your ability to control yourself. I train with a couple of older guys in their 60s and up. Two of them have started getting regular testosterone injections for "low T". One guy, almost 61 came into my class with a cracked sternum the other day because he apparently got carried away full contact sparring with a 40 year old Kempo instructor and tried to school him!. Sheesh! :confused:

The other guy, 84 years old mind you, was training Escrima with me outdoors in a parking lot at a park (the grass was too wet to train on). Even though there were plenty of empty parking spaces elsewhere, a car pulled in very close behind him, forcing him to hustle out of the way. Instead of shrugging and walking with me to another empty space, this 84 year old gent lost it and began yelling and pounding on the hood of the other guy's car with his fists. I literally had to restrain him and apologize to the terrified driver.

I had to give this student, who's old enough to be my dad, quite a dressing down for his behavior. First of all, he was wearing our organization's T-shirt, and his behavior showed our group in a bad light. Secondly, we were in the paved parking area, so no matter how rude and pushy, the other guy was technically entitled to park there.

Finally, we live in a state where just about everybody including a lot of nutcases, legally carries a gun -- openly, concealed, or in their car, with no license necessary. That alone is a good reason to learn some manners when talking to strangers!

So during our talk, my student mentioned his testosterone injections. More than a coincidence I'm guessing. Food for thought anyway. So if this applies to you, I'd have a talk with your doctor. Just sayin'. ;)

Last edited:

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So you are perfect? You have no faults outside of martial arts?
Yes I do have faults plenty of them but when it comes to aggression and controlling my temper I think I've got pretty good control of myself yeah I've had people challenging wanting to fight me trying all sorts of insults to get me to fight and I just walked away and ironbear this may interest you I got more respect off people for walking away than other get when people get in fights. People said to me "fair play walking away I would've smacked him " even the guy himself came up to me the next day and apologised he said "sorry for being a jerk I deserved a hit for what I was being like but good on you for not doing it" see what I mean sometimes you get way more respect for not fighting.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I do have faults plenty of them but when it comes to aggression and controlling my temper I think I've got pretty good control of myself yeah I've had people challenging wanting to fight me trying all sorts of insults to get me to fight and I just walked away and ironbear this may interest you I got more respect off people for walking away than other get when people get in fights. People said to me "fair play walking away I would've smacked him " even the guy himself came up to me the next day and apologised he said "sorry for being a jerk I deserved a hit for what I was being like but good on you for not doing it" see what I mean sometimes you get way more respect for not fighting.

I got lots of people coming up asking me to help them fight better. That must mean something. I won't continue this path, but it has done some good believe it or not, much more than ever got for being a coward.

Not to say you acted like one. I believe you didn't, that is how it will be viewed by most though which enables yourself for others to try and mess with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions