Hot head rolling partner

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah sure that's fine but that's the instructors job to do that and my main issue is instead of doing that he instead rewarded him for his behaviour by promoting him and it's not just me loads of people have said the same thing about him
your making it your problem and then declining to do anything about it

you've raised your concerns with the instructor with out reso!ution, now behave !ike a reasonable adult and refuse point blank to roll with him, that then makes it his and then instructors problem, if others who are concerned about his enthusiasm do !ike wise, then there now no problem at all for anybody but him. who is sat there with nothing to do for the entire class? this of course requires you to challange the authority of the instructor, but that's what reasonable adults do, if they disagree

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This whole mess is not Headhunter's fault, it's not even the idiot kid's fault. It is the fault of the Instructor that does not have a handle of what goes on in his dojo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This whole mess is not Headhunter's fault, it's not even the idiot kid's fault. It is the fault of the Instructor that does not have a handle of what goes on in his dojo.

Doesn't matter who's fault it is. Unless you can fix it.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
your making it your problem and then declining to do anything about it

you've raised your concerns with the instructor with out reso!ution, now behave !ike a reasonable adult and refuse point blank to roll with him, that then makes it his and then instructors problem, if others who are concerned about his enthusiasm do !ike wise, then there now no problem at all for anybody but him. who is sat there with nothing to do for the entire class? this of course requires you to challange the authority of the instructor, but that's what reasonable adults do, if they disagree
Not my club, not my student not my responsibility to do anything

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not my club, not my student not my responsibility to do anything
but then your problem will persist if it's your problem its your responsibility to do your best to cure it. the only other outcome is do nothing and keep moaning about nobody doing anything

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
but then your problem will persist if it's your problem its your responsibility to do your best to cure it. the only other outcome is do nothing and keep moaning about nobody doing anything
It's not a problem as I have said multiple times I can handle it easily and frankly I don't there enough for it to affect me. Anyway I'm done I'm not getting another of these stupid arguments that you love

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's because not everyone is a coach and have no desire to be. I'm not a coach I'm not going to hold this kids hand when he's acting like a punk
You don't have to be a coach.

But you are a training partner. Mr. Webster tells us that a partner is "one associated with another in action; associate or colleague." You're both working together to learn. Part of that might be helping him deal with this lack of control... or recognizing that you aren't the right partner for him and avoiding him. There's nothing wrong with this. But if you are training with him, you owe him the courtesy of being a good partner and helping him get better -- like trying to help steer his reactions. Especially since you're truly a "sensei" to him -- you're older, you've been there, you just might be able to lead him out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh okay I'll just let him punch me in the face and try and talk in between punches and hope I'm not knocked out before finishing my mr miyagi speech. The kid wouldn't listen to me he thinks he's better than everyone he'd just ignore it I mean he's ignored the instructor so he's not going to listen to me and yeah if someone attacks me I'm defending myself I'm not going to attack first but if he swings on me I'm defending myself that's what martial arts is self defence and self defence isn't letting someone punch you in the face
Then why are you training with him and there? Seriously, if you don't like the way the guy runs his club, and you don't like the way students there train and are promoted, why the hell do you keep going back?

Martial Arts is NOT self defense. Self defense may be part of martial arts, but the inclusion of the word "art" implies there is something deeper than merely "punch 'em, kick 'em, stab 'em, nuke 'em 'til they glow!" involved.

Invisibleflash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Born in L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
So today I went to a jiu jitsu club in my area for an open mat. I've been there a few times it's a good place but today I ended up rolling with this 17 year old. He's a tall guy about 6'3 maybe and he's a white belt and Idk but he seems nice enough but in other classes he's made some arrogant big headed comments during classes but anyway o rolled with him and I wasn't going hard I never do when I roll but I was handling him pretty well. I didn't submit him but mostly I was controlling position and one time he tried to reverse me and I pinned that's when I first saw an issue. The look on his face he looked furious like he wanted to hurt me. But whatever I just carried doing what I was doing. Then at one point I went for a triangle and he literally slamming my legs sideways into the mat hard. It wasn't hurting but that aggression was surprising and a few times his elbows and fists were hitting my face. Now once or twice you know that happens in jiu jitsu I get it but this seemed like it was on purpose. Also I'd submitted twice with a push choke from his guard where I stood in the guard and pushed his collar onto the throat and he tapped. Now at that point he was raging no doubt and next time I got Him into guard he literally shook off his gi to so he was in a rash guard. I kind of stopped and said you want to put that back on? And he said no and went for me again. I just carried on I didn't care. But then at the end when the timer bell went he had a sort of hold on my neck it wasn't hurting or choking me but he was cranking it and when the bell went he continued squeezing I told him time was up he kept going. I said it again he kept going. Next time I had to yell and I was ready to stick my finger in his eye to get him off me. I was not happy at all. Because while he didn't have me at that point he could've had my arm or a real choke and if I'd relaxed or stopped and he'd yanked he could've done me serious damage. He did let go and said he didn't hear the timer (BS)

I wasn't happy but I didn't say anything because in my eyes there's no need to let bad feelings carry on. But after I spoke to th coach about it and he said yeah the kid struggles with emotions...now I don't know what that means and frankly I don't care if he can't handle his e,options then he shouldn't be on the mat rolling because I can handle myself but if he was against an inexperienced or smaller or younger person and he lost it he could've seriously hurt someone.

Just wondering people's opinions.

He needs to get taken down a notch or paired up with a partner that likes challenges. He may just be hi-energy and wanting to excel.

blackknight7891

White Belt
Reaction score
If he struggles with emotions that much, theirs probably something going on there more then ego. if it were just ego, and he was getting submitted that often, you would likely see a change in attitude even a negative change like refusing to roll with you.

A member in my Dojo has Autism, and can struggle with anger because he never got the help he needed growing up and developed a different way of dealing with world. something like this also pairs with a black and white mentality and leads to a default stance of every ones out to get me, which feeds into that anger when ever they lose. stopping the roll re-explaining that whats going o, re-iteriate what he should be trying to do and go again once his had a chance to slow down.

Having said that I get that its not your school, his not your student and apart from simply looking after your partner while rolling not really your problem. In this case it might be better if you don't roll with him, if your not getting anything out of it and his just getting angry and dangerous.

Latest Discussions