SideKicks

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i find that if you do not hit with the heel you lose much of the rotational power from the hips/ pelvis. then it is a different kick altogether and a very different type of power.

my 2 cents

respectfully,
Marlon

That to me sounds like the difference between a side kick and a back kick unless I'm reading it wong?

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC,
You posted, “yes, that is the linear action that resembles our side kicks. When teaching it to the kids I start them off by stomping straight down...”

Cool! I also start beginners off that way.

You also posted, “I still need to try the kicks from your original videos, see how my heavy bag likes'em.”

I hope you enjoy them.

Jdinca,
You posted, “Those are similar to two of our kicks. The blade kick (knife edge) is a light, fast kick to fragile targets, knee, floating rib, throat. The side thrust with the heel is a power kick designed to deliver maximum impact. “

I agree with Kidswarrior, Thank You (for the clarification).

Regards, MrE2Me2

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jdinca,
You posted, “Try bringing your back arm foward, i.e., have your fist somewhere around your stomach. I think you'll find that minor anatomic change will noticeably improve your ability to correctly execute the kick.”

I did and you are correct.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards, MrE2Me2

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I do a side kick I always hit with both anyway. The heel is part of the blade. The skin squishes. I do like to keep my toes out of the way so I stretch them back. The heel will be where most of the force is because of the allignment through bone straight to the hip and other heel. To be honest I don't give it much thought anymore. I aim for the pelvis straight on and my heel hits the hip-bone while my blade hits the abdomen. I stomp a foot with just the heel.