Shoes - Weapons or hindrances?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like fictional books too.

These weren't fictional books these were books written on factual knowledge. Aside from, "Slow Dance on the Killing Ground" Lenox Cramer doesn't write fiction.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These weren't fictional books these were books written on factual knowledge. Aside from, "Slow Dance on the Killing Ground" Lenox Cramer doesn't write fiction.

Now that opens up a can of worms doesn't it? I don't think that using that name is going to get you any credit for citing a reliable source.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not kicking with the arch of the foot though which is what PG said.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He's not kicking with the arch of the foot though which is what PG said.

The arch as in basically the middle bit? Yes and no. Sometimes he seems to connect the side kick with the ball which I don't think works at all.

But especially identified the oblique kicks striking area.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

John jones doing it. You see the side kick in the footage at the start.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Jones has an arch, he's the most flat footed person I've seen for a long time!

Still there's a different between someone like him espousing kicking with the arch and taking what Walt 'Lenox Cramer' says as being true. One of my really big hates is people who say they have served in the military when they haven't and if they have, in some desk job, then tell everyone they were a 'warrior and hero' never mind his other crimes.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score

John jones doing it. You see the side kick in the footage at the start.

Dam it. We were talking about shoes for an entire post, and now we're back on the kicking thing.

Anyway, I forgot about that sort of kick. I've only ever seen on the Human Weapon Savate episode.

The arch isn't so good for hitting. Flat, lacking in hard surface. Fine for pushing I suppose, but even then it's lesser than the ball of the foot. Although, I consider it better than nothing. IMO, hitting with the arch means you need to work on your accuracy or angle your foot differently.
In the case of that "oblique kick" it doesn't seem like a bad foot part to use. The leg doesn't have anywhere else to go but the ground, so it will absorb all that push force. Overextending the knee and hurting the muscles that resist.

Point that segues into shoes - I recently tried doing kicks with the blade of my foot while wearing shoes. The shoes that I have change where the blade of my foot is from where it actually is. If I do a side kick with these shoes trying to hit where my blade actually is, the shape of the shoe forces my ankle to bend up or down. Still a big no. Gonna stick to hitting with my heels.

Wingtip shoes look great for kicking. Heels.....ever kick wearing shoes with small heels? It actually makes it easier to kick with the heel. With a hard surface too. Not with that soft foamy stuff on the bottom of normal shoes. Even with round kicks. That would probably break the shoe after a while though. Those thinner high heels though.....eh. Big no. It's hard enough to walk on two legs with those. Standing on one and kicking with the other, it's kind of like asking to fall over. Would probably hurt if it landed. Even then, outside of the kicks that push the heel out, like the sidekick, I think all your other kicks would be reduced too. Footwork would suck.

Weirdly effective slippers! These ones really just change the material of the bottom of your foot and slightly protect them from cold and water. I found that I could kick, basically as if I was barefoot, but with the added benefit of not being barefoot. I.E., I can drive, peruse the inventory of walmart, etc.

iu

By the way, when I originally said that shoes with too much arch correction deflate my side kicks, this is what I was talking about. It all turns into pillows and pushing side kicks with these types shoes.

iu

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Savate is generally practised with shoes on though so kicks will be different from barefooted kicks.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't but perhaps because it's easier to balance like that for a photograph that would take a long time to take? I imagine the non kicking guy is holding the kickers leg who is trying to keep his balance. It could be 15 to 20 minutes standing there if not longer.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't seem to find one now, but I've seen drawings with that hand position with both feet on the ground. I've read that Savate was invented by sailors because the use of the closed fist was illegal, so perhaps it was to make it clear they weren't going to punch them, but they were going to hurt them? Or maybe it was for witnesses?
Maybe it was a balance thing? I remember sticking my hands far back like that when I first started.

.....now that I think about it, it's not so weird. The front hand is still guarding, and the back easily be for balance. I've seen it done in plenty of kicking. Not so much anymore though. However, I'm still only speculating.

OP
Orange Lightning

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"It appears that the first rational approach to street kicking commenced around the beginning of the French Revolution. French marines developed Chausson (shoh-sohn) as a gymnastic game of fencing with the feet. The term actually means ‘slipper’ and referred to the sailors’ soft footwear."

:D

HISTORY Bridgeman Savate

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't seem to find one now, but I've seen drawings with that hand position with both feet on the ground. I've read that Savate was invented by sailors because the use of the closed fist was illegal, so perhaps it was to make it clear they weren't going to punch them, but they were going to hurt them? Or maybe it was for witnesses?
Maybe it was a balance thing? I remember sticking my hands far back like that when I first started.

.....now that I think about it, it's not so weird. The front hand is still guarding, and the back easily be for balance. I've seen it done in plenty of kicking. Not so much anymore though. However, I'm still only speculating.

On a boat you cant punch or you go bum over. If you kick you can hang on to something when you do it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dam it. We were talking about shoes for an entire post, and now we're back on the kicking thing.

Anyway, I forgot about that sort of kick. I've only ever seen on the Human Weapon Savate episode.

The arch isn't so good for hitting. Flat, lacking in hard surface. Fine for pushing I suppose, but even then it's lesser than the ball of the foot. Although, I consider it better than nothing. IMO, hitting with the arch means you need to work on your accuracy or angle your foot differently.
In the case of that "oblique kick" it doesn't seem like a bad foot part to use. The leg doesn't have anywhere else to go but the ground, so it will absorb all that push force. Overextending the knee and hurting the muscles that resist.

Point that segues into shoes - I recently tried doing kicks with the blade of my foot while wearing shoes. The shoes that I have change where the blade of my foot is from where it actually is. If I do a side kick with these shoes trying to hit where my blade actually is, the shape of the shoe forces my ankle to bend up or down. Still a big no. Gonna stick to hitting with my heels.

Wingtip shoes look great for kicking. Heels.....ever kick wearing shoes with small heels? It actually makes it easier to kick with the heel. With a hard surface too. Not with that soft foamy stuff on the bottom of normal shoes. Even with round kicks. That would probably break the shoe after a while though. Those thinner high heels though.....eh. Big no. It's hard enough to walk on two legs with those. Standing on one and kicking with the other, it's kind of like asking to fall over. Would probably hurt if it landed. Even then, outside of the kicks that push the heel out, like the sidekick, I think all your other kicks would be reduced too. Footwork would suck.

Weirdly effective slippers! These ones really just change the material of the bottom of your foot and slightly protect them from cold and water. I found that I could kick, basically as if I was barefoot, but with the added benefit of not being barefoot. I.E., I can drive, peruse the inventory of walmart, etc.

iu

By the way, when I originally said that shoes with too much arch correction deflate my side kicks, this is what I was talking about. It all turns into pillows and pushing side kicks with these types shoes.

iu

The arch or kind of the middle of the foot for some stop kicks generally. Used as a block. And the oblique kick.

I side kick with the heel.

There are some weird variations. Pointera in capoeira is done with the toes.

Latest Discussions