SideKicks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you're doing this kick, what part of the foot do you prefer to hit with, the blade of the foot or the heel and why?

I'll post my answers shortly! :)

Mike

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you're doing this kick, what part of the foot do you prefer to hit with, the blade of the foot or the heel and why?

I'll post my answers shortly! :)

Mike
I only have to kicks to the side, one is with the blade, a quick kick and the other is with the heel but with thus one you pivot on the planted foot for additional range and power. So my experience is limited on this but I prefer the heel. It makes use of my long and powerful legs. The one utilizing the blade is meant to be quick, but Im not quick so using this kick puts me at somewhat of a disadvantage. The other kick is slow as well but with the exteded range and my long legs it makes up for the fact.

B

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've always been taught to hit with the blade, I'm told that once the foot is conditioned and you have the technique right, it's more powerful, it feels comfier for some reason to hit with the heel, but as I have an injured ankle I'm suspicious of hitting anything with my heel because of the joint impacting.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Train both - MUCH prefer the heel. It's just a personal preference. We utilize a full drag and pistoning motion with the leg (on a left leg sidekick the left leg drags all the way across the right leg to generate power and lift)

I like it - but to be honest I very rarely used it in competition

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Heel, if you are hitting with power, kicking with the edge will be a great way to roll your ankle. Try standing on one leg on the knife edge of your foot. Feel comfortable? Feel like it would be a good idea to jump up and down on it? Thats what a kick is.

Lamont

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been a while since I used a side kick, but heal. Blade seems like a bad idea, heal is a much more solid striking surface (Big bones, inline with strike as opposed to small bones at a angle)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heel, always. Using the blade requires a twist-and-rotation of the foot that I've never been comfortable with, and the result seems a much weaker alignment of striking surface with skeletal support than you get when you use the heel.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heel, always, for me (as well as everybody else in MSK TKD and HKD that I know of).

Specifically, the part of the heel that touches the floor when you are standing.

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
What Andrew Green said. The same reason you punch with the first two knuckles. More power and less likelihood of breaking your ankle.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Heel for me too! Using a larger surface to hit with just makes sense to me, as well as the better alignment of bones in the foot. The heel is designed to take impact, while the blade of the foot is not. Although, since so many use the blade (although obviously not represented on this thread!) maybe there is something I am missing...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I know I'm outnumbered here, but here goes anyway. :)

I learned the side blade before the heel, and have been doing it long enough that it is more comfortable. Also, must keep in mind what we're striking to. I only use this to soft tissue (thighs, side of shin, lower belly), and blade gives something of a cutting effect (like a knife hand). Another consideration is, I train--and would be in any self defense situation--wearing shoes. Blade of the sole of a shoe is much more cutting than a bare foot. And then the personal: have just never developed enough speed with heel to make it effective. Maybe as a finishing blow I'd use it.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind, most situations we will have shoes on our feet. Unless of course one is Billy Jack. :).

I think it depends on the desired result. In some case you may be looking to smash a knee cap or just "gentle" direct the person downward to set them up for another strike.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I know I'm outnumbered here, but here goes anyway. :)

I learned the side blade before the heel, and have been doing it long enough that it is more comfortable. Also, must keep in mind what we're striking to. I only use this to soft tissue (thighs, side of shin, lower belly), and blade gives something of a cutting effect (like a knife hand). Another consideration is, I train--and would be in any self defense situation--wearing shoes. Blade of the sole of a shoe is much more cutting than a bare foot. And then the personal: have just never developed enough speed with heel to make it effective. Maybe as a finishing blow I'd use it.

My experience with shoes is that the initial striking area is now even further offline of the line of the bones of the leg than it is barefoot, leaving you more vulnerable to twisting an ankle.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
My experience with shoes is that the initial striking area is now even further offline of the line of the bones of the leg than it is barefoot, leaving you more vulnerable to twisting an ankle.

Could be, but hasn't ever happened to me.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The heel. Not a lot of nerve endings, so it doesn't hurt on impact. In addition, the force of the kick is concentrated in a small area and the leg is in better anatomical alignment to deliver the force to the target.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't do much kicking these days but when I was taught I was taught both but preferred kicking with the heel. Kicking with the blade was hard on my ankle. :asian:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In sparring, I used to use both, depending on what I was aiming at, as Kidswarrior alluded to.

If I was hitting something solidly 'boney' then I'd stirke with the heel and put a bit of 'push' into it.

If I was hitting something more 'composite' then I'd use the edge ('blade'?) of the foot and drag it across before retracting (like a knife as someone has referred to already here).

Wearing shoes, specifically cowboy boots with a Cuban heel, my single 'real world' strike was with the heel to the side of the knee, inflicting a break ... wince ... I know ... I've felt guilty ever since :shame:.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And just when I'd repped you on another thread....:lfao: J/K

Hehe. Well, I'm just an old groundwork guy who doesn't do a lot of kicking anymore. In my defense I failed to mention that I had an old ankle injury that never really healed right. It made working side kicks with the blade troublesome right from the go. :)

Latest Discussions