Side kicks

Foot Position of left supporting leg during a right sidekick?

• left toes facing 10:30 (45 cat)

• left toes facing 9:00 (90 cat)

• left toes facing 7:30

• left toes facing 6:00

Results are only viewable after voting.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
That you just write what you think? That's definitely good.

That you got a gold star? Well, it means a fair number of people like what you have to say... also good, I'd say.

So on balance, it looks good to me, at least!
icon14.gif

COOL!

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
My hip alignment does not seem to be correct unless my toes are pointing anywhere between a 9:00 to a 10:30. 10:30 mabe a bit extreme.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
my sparring intructor always told me to point my supporting toes in the opposite direction of where im kicking and it has given me a lot of balance and my kick has more power when i know i hav a good stance. i feel very comfortable in in it than i did b4 when my toes were facing somewhere else.

Inkspill

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With a snapping side kick the supporting foot remains pointed to the 45 degree angle (10:30 in this case) as I've learned it. With a thrusting action we put the hips into the kick and shift the toes to point at a variety of clock positions, depending on the situation. For example I turn my supporting foot to point the toes toward my exit (toward 6) for my cross out at say, the end of destructive twins, with the side thrust kick, then pull the foot back through position 1/3 into the front twist stance, cross out, etc. But in long 2 we don't shift the foot with the thrusting side kick.

Inkspill

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My phone isn't letting me edit my post when I click the link, just wanted to add we use the side of the heel for the striking surface on side kicks. Our teacher is very specific that the side of the heel is used, not just anywhere on the edge/side of the foot, just like we only use the side of the heel palm on sword hand strikes, and not the side of the hand just anywhere

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
good thread from what i read through.

I dont kick much but when i throw a side kick its usually a 2 part. I'll throw the first with a neutral foot position which more often than not causes the person to move back and then forward to counter. I then reload and pivot on the second kick for some added power and strength.

Most i stick with my front kicks since im slow with kicking

B

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your limbs are just the levers that make contact, you hit them with your body. A side kick is just a hip check with the leg straightened, the rotation of the supporting foot to 9 O'clock is what provides the power. I mean, seriously, who throws a shoe?

Latest Discussions