Show me the money!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that for families, we simply double the rate and we don't care how many members train. Mom, Dad, three kids....mom and dad pay, the kids train for free. All they need to do is buy the uniforms, no monthly charge.
I drop the cost by $10 for each next person ($90 for two, $120 for three, etc.). I don't teach under age 16, so it's not likely, but if a family brought 5, the 5th (and subsequent) would be free (total of $150).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like to gouge people. So I charge a fair price for my time.

$100 a month private lessons one lesson a week or
$100 group classes one lesson a week

Your choice. Some people love group classes and want people there to share the experience with. Other people cannot make group classes and want an individualized private experience. Basically it works out to $25 an hour or so as I often go over!
I charge more for private lessons (in theory - classes are small enough nobody needs them right now), because it requires I set aside another block of my time (as opposed to them joining a class I already take my time for). If I was running a school full-time, I think I might like just offering same-price private lessons when I'd be at the school, anyway. Except I'd require they bring an uke or I'd have to charge more (for taking all those falls from an inexperienced thrower - they are the worst!).

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
First off let me say, DAMN!!! to these prices.

Now

The Netherlands, Dordrecht

Pukulan / Pentjak Silat - €25,- a month for 3 hours training a week (2x 1,5 hour). No contract....

We don't use belts because I feel that belts is an excuse to let people pay more, only assistant instructors and instructors get tested without paying any testing fees.

Is that a full-time martial arts school, or are the classes taught in a community space (recreation center, gym, church social hall, university, etc)? In the US, the cost is very different between those two things, and there's often (not always, though.....) a real difference in what you get for your money - how many classes are offered, the equipment available, the number of instructors, etc.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a full-time martial arts school, or are the classes taught in a community space (recreation center, gym, church social hall, university, etc)? In the US, the cost is very different between those two things, and there's often (not always, though.....) a real difference in what you get for your money - how many classes are offered, the equipment available, the number of instructors, etc.
I'd agree. The only "not always" IME is the number of instructors. A relatively new school may only have one or two instructors, and eventually the school will grow more. I have yet to run into a program in a community space that had more than two, and most (like mine) have one. And the difference in equipment is usually dramatic. I have a fair amount of stuff (still less than most schools), but only bring in a few bits each time. And, as you implied, only 2-3 classes a week.

That's the life of the community-center program.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kennewick, WA

I am just shifting to a new format.
Art of Kali which focuses on the long weapon aspects (stick, machete, spear, axe etc) and is open to 13+ and a 16+ Kali Combatives which is knife/counter knife, weapon grappling, improvised weapon etc.

Each is an hour long offered consecutively. Students can take one class for $40/month or both for $60. Offered twice per week.

Private lessons are $40/hour.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dang! I have not seen prices like that since I studied at the Troy Judo Club back in 1993! How do you get away with such low rates?

The dojo I train at charges $55/month for adults and $45/month for kids. Family members in the same house get $10 for each person after the first one, ie a family of 2 adults and 2 kids would pay $55 for adult 1, $45 for adult 2, and $35 for each kid. No contracts. Promotions cost between $45-$65 or somewhere near that.

Everywhere else around here costs at least $125/month with a 12 month contract.

Then there's the local Tae Kwon Do schools, which around here are affectionately referred to as Take My Dough.

TKD guys - please don't get offended. I've trained with some very good TKD guys who definitely don't fit that mold. But around here, those guys are the exception and not the norm.

Edit: Albany, NY area.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dojo I train at charges $55/month for adults and $45/month for kids. Family members in the same house get $10 for each person after the first one, ie a family of 2 adults and 2 kids would pay $55 for adult 1, $45 for adult 2, and $35 for each kid. No contracts. Promotions cost between $45-$65 or somewhere near that.

Everywhere else around here costs at least $125/month with a 12 month contract.

Then there's the local Tae Kwon Do schools, which around here are affectionately referred to as Take My Dough.

TKD guys - please don't get offended. I've trained with some very good TKD guys who definitely don't fit that mold. But around here, those guys are the exception and not the norm.

Edit: Albany, NY area.
Do we have a MT hot-spot in the Albany area?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang! I have not seen prices like that since I studied at the Troy Judo Club back in 1993! How do you get away with such low rates?

We're not a commercial school. Profit isn't a consideration.

Sami Ibrahim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm doing a very informal survey. If you don't mind, would you share your location and pricing? If you do various programs, would you put your program duration and monthly cost? This is just for my own edification.

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Intro program - 177/mo, six months
Black Belt Club - 217/mo, 36 months
Leadership - 257/mo, 36 months

Thanks in advance!

Private Lessons - Any where on Earth $5,000 per hour (Prices Negotiable, Will travel)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5000$ per hour? Who's gonna pay so much money, that's like the average income of a person in US per month, but you ask it for one hour. This is too much in my opinion, I don't know what exactly you are going to teach, but this is not worth it for sure. Only if you pawn your Rolex in London, and get a loan, might be enough for your service. I am very curious who are your students, and if you have them at all, because for me, it's very hard to think of someone who pays so much money per one lesson.
I suspect you may have missed the point.

Latest Discussions