Show me the money!

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm doing a very informal survey. If you don't mind, would you share your location and pricing? If you do various programs, would you put your program duration and monthly cost? This is just for my own edification.

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Intro program - 177/mo, six months
Black Belt Club - 217/mo, 36 months
Leadership - 257/mo, 36 months

Thanks in advance!

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lexington, KY

$100/month for unlimited classes 7 days per week (we offer at least 3 classes per day, more on most days)
We have cheaper programs available for people who attend more limited days or specific times. There's also a one time membership/processing fee for new signups, but I'm not sure how much that is offhand.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm doing a very informal survey. If you don't mind, would you share your location and pricing? If you do various programs, would you put your program duration and monthly cost? This is just for my own edification.

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Thanks in advance!
Thoes are odd amounts any reason you don't just round it up or down.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd rather not put my location, because I really value being able to talk shop anonymously. But I'm in the outer suburbs of a metropolitan area with a solid economy and a higher cost-of-living than Houston, and I'm boggled at Balrog's prices. I don't think there's any way we could charge that.

We charge $149/mo for month-to-month, and $129/mo for 12 months. No registration fees, but we do charge testing fees. I'm thinking of creating an all-inclusive "black belt club" membership that includes testing fees and sparring gear and some private lessons that's maybe $169-179/mo for 12 months.

Balrog - what do you mean by leadership? We have a leadership class, which is to teach high-belt tweens & teens to be basically junior assistant instructors. Is that what your leadership program is, or is it something different? We don't charge for it, though, they "pay" by helping out at the school.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Thanks in advance!
$50/mo. for "unlimited" classes (in quotes for a reason in my case). I offer 2 classes a week, plus a "study group" period that is a class if I'm in town. I sometimes have to cancel classes due to business travel. I also offer the alternative of $10/class. No other fees, and I don't raise rates on existing students. I also have very low overhead, except that 25% of fees go to the facility.

EDIT: Hendersonville, NC

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston (actually Pearland, but I'm assuming that only Balrog will know where that is), Texas

We've got a nice deal working. Back in 2010, when my own aikido senior instructor was thinking about retirement, my wife & I were going to the gym and she noticed a BJJ academy opening up right across from the 24-Hour Fitness where we go to hurt ourselves.... wait, I mean work out. Yeah, that's it.

This BJJ place charged $149/mo for as many BJJ classes as you wanted to take per week, and Robert, the BJJ instructor was, in my own personal estimation, killing himself being there for literally every class, 6 days a week. I'm serious, like 14 classes a week, full-tilt class with conditioning and everything. 5 days with 3x per day, and 2 with only 2 classes. Whew! Really good guy, hell of a technician. Anyway, he and his wife had a place in which they had the BJJ school which was actually too large for them, literally with a empty room (23'30') they had nothing in, not built out, no drywall, nothing. I rolled with those guys after my aikido school closed.

And then I had an idea, since I knew our old aikido school had a sprung floor, literally constructed by NASA scientists, physicists, and engineers (Only in Houston, eh...) and since the school was closed, and the landlor was going to just gut the place, I arranged to "rescue" the sprung floor and long story short -- installed it into the empty room at the BJJ school. A couple of school transmogrifications and an ownership change (remember my thought about Robert buring himself out above) and now we're happily ensconsced, still witht he BJJ people, but on their "off-class" time frames.

My aikido/judo people meet for 2 classes each week, every week, unless some of them are approaching a rank demo period, and then we add class on Friday as well.

BJJ there Is sstill $149/mo. The aikido program is $70/mo, and in it my people get more than a smattering of judo, and some of the just meanness that I've run across over the years.

D

Dylan9d

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Thanks in advance!

First off let me say, DAMN!!! to these prices.

Now

The Netherlands, Dordrecht

Pukulan / Pentjak Silat - €25,- a month for 3 hours training a week (2x 1,5 hour). No contract....

We don't use belts because I feel that belts is an excuse to let people pay more, only assistant instructors and instructors get tested without paying any testing fees.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Houston (actually Pearland, but I'm assuming that only Balrog will know where that is), Texas
I know where that is. Okay, I don't really. But I've seen it on the way to or from some Houston-area client.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off let me say, DAMN!!! to these prices.

Now

The Netherlands, Dordrecht

Pukulan / Pentjak Silat - €25,- a month for 3 hours training a week (2x 1,5 hour). No contract....

We don't use belts because I feel that belts is an excuse to let people pay more, only assistant instructors and instructors get tested without paying any testing fees.
I'm curious, why would belts necessitate people paying more? In all my training (all with belts), the only extra charge I ever incurred due to belts was about $5 for the belt, itself.

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Balrog - what do you mean by leadership? We have a leadership class, which is to teach high-belt tweens & teens to be basically junior assistant instructors. Is that what your leadership program is, or is it something different? We don't charge for it, though, they "pay" by helping out at the school.
Kinda. They get extra classes, get to do more weapons and there is specific training in leadership attributes. It's sort of an intro to instructor training program.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
NC triangle area: $110 per month. Family deals: 2 folks $160, 3 folks $190, four folks $200, additional family members train for free. No contracts, well you could and your prices would go down a little but I never explored that. Belt tests: $30, Family: 2 tests $45, 3 tests $60....ASOASF. Bodan and BB are more expensive T $100 and $125.

There are plenty of other TKD schools here that charge more and require contracts.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know where that is. Okay, I don't really. But I've seen it on the way to or from some Houston-area client.
Then that means you've most likely driven on Loop 610, Highway 288 or I-45. All have exits marked with Pearland.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then that means you've most likely driven on Loop 610, Highway 288 or I-45. All have exits marked with Pearland.
Yeah, that's possible. I remember little, but I do remember seeing "Pearland" on a sign. Does that count?:p

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Thanks in advance!

SE Michigan. 75 per month. No contracts.

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'll start:
Houston, TX

Thanks in advance!
I forgot to mention that for families, we simply double the rate and we don't care how many members train. Mom, Dad, three kids....mom and dad pay, the kids train for free. All they need to do is buy the uniforms, no monthly charge.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like to gouge people. So I charge a fair price for my time.

$100 a month private lessons one lesson a week or
$100 group classes one lesson a week

Your choice. Some people love group classes and want people there to share the experience with. Other people cannot make group classes and want an individualized private experience. Basically it works out to $25 an hour or so as I often go over!

Latest Discussions