Should I compete?

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Somewhat rhetorical question, but my GM is hosting a tournament coming up in 2 months and I'm torn as to whether to compete, never went to one before much less competed. As I understand it the age group that would apply to me is 35 and up (I'm 50). What I am most concerned about is getting caught up in the heat of the moment sparring and hurting myself, also I know from first hand experience that I was alot quicker 15 years ago then I am now.

I've been going 3 days a week for about 2 years and recently got first Gup. One alternative that I have been leaning towards is just doing forms (Palgwe 8) and breaking, but part of me says that it's chickening out by not doing sparring. What do you experienced people think?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you feel strong and have confidence in your abilities GO FOR IT...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go for it, it is really fun and I think you will have a blast.

If you worry about getting hurt, you will. If you do not, you won't.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you just want to break & do forms, don't worry about it, just do it. competing but not sparring is still better than not competing at all. maybe do that for your first tournament then spar in the next one if you feel like it, once you've seen first hand what it's like.

jf

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't particularly like competing, but think it's important to do if you want to know what you do well and what you don't. I've competed a few times and found out more about my game in those matches than I did in months of training in class.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a learning experience.

And frankly, you can always bow out should you not feel like sparring.

But it is a chance - usually to spar other people you normally don't see.
It is very different from sparring the same folks in class over and over, so you know their moves before they do...

(and I am not even mentioning that it might be important to your instructor to have as many students as possible show up! Oops, I just did...)

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I hope you have a great time if you decide to do it.

I hate competing, to tell the truth, but I do it. Always for some crazy reason: sometimes it's just b/c I don't wanna chicken out!! :)

I have done tournamnets where I just did forms. And I have watched the sparring with regret: I hate to miss out. It really is fun. ;)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go and compete in the breaking and forms, then go and watch your division. It will let you know whether or not you want to spar and it will let you see your competition.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Go and compete in the breaking and forms, then go and watch your division. It will let you know whether or not you want to spar and it will let you see your competition.

I respectfully disagree with this. Who the competition is, winning and losing, all of that is irrelevant. At a competition, I go out if my way to NOT know who is in my division. The worst thing that could happen is to watch a competition and not compete because you don't think you would do well.

I think there are a ton of great reasons to compete.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with this. Who the competition is, winning and losing, all of that is irrelevant. At a competition, I go out if my way to NOT know who is in my division. The worst thing that could happen is to watch a competition and not compete because you don't think you would do well.

I agree here, because there will usually always be someone better than you, so if you just go and watch the sparring and see that one guy who is really good, you are going to compare yourself to him and this might intimidate you from competing. I would only go watch sparring if I was competing just to see what the other guys weaknesses are, but to watch and then to determine might not be the wisest choice. Just go out there and try it, most people really enjoy it after the fight because
1. you have overcome a fear
2. you gain some confidence

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go for it. I just di dmy first tourny last week...had a blast. As long as you don't take it or yourself too seriously you can have fun....and there's no better way to learn what you need to work on than in the relatively safe confines of a competition.

Peace,
Erik

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score

I guess it dependson which level you are competing and what your reason for competing is. I competed for several years on the national and world level and you needed to know what was out there. More often than not, it was the same guys competing, so you knew who was going to be there, but sometimes not. Nothing sucks worse than having some memory loos from a competition.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should you compete, unless you feel you cannot - competition is a great learning experience. Sparring in class is fine, but in competition you will be facing people you don't usually face, and that is a valuable experience. The stress level is higher, and that, too, is a valuable experience.

As far as your concerns about the age difference between you and the younger members of your division - remember that there is a similar age difference in the men's adult division, and that the men nearing 35 and competition in the senior division have similar concerns about men in the early 20s.

I suggest discussing your concerns with your instructor - but if you were my student (and I have students your age) I would tell you to compete, and, knowing your concerns, I'd make sure that I, or another senior, was available to coach you. But your instructor won't know any of that unless you talk to him/her.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a spin no one has used yet. How many 50 year olds would even think of getting in the ring at a tournament? Not many. You have the opportunity to do something that few folks your age would think about.

It's a learning experience. As you progress you can use your experiences to help others. You really have little to nothing to loose & must to gain.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a spin no one has used yet. How many 50 year olds would even think of getting in the ring at a tournament? Not many. You have the opportunity to do something that few folks your age would think about.

It's a learning experience. As you progress you can use your experiences to help others. You really have little to nothing to loose & must to gain.

You are right I am 50 now and I just want to do it so I can say I did. Then I am retired again.
icon10.gif

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, now does your opinion change when I tell you that I have an MRI confirmed ACL tear from back when I was an orange belt. Against Dr.s "orders" I have continued without further substancial knee injury. I use a brace on the kneee and have my own rule that once I get to a certain point of tiredness I stop, as that is when I find I am most at risk.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm out right now but I'll look for a great video of a guy who must be at least 60 competing no-gi at a grappling tourny. Made me feel ashamed of using my age as an excuse. :) I'll post it if I can.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, now does your opinion change when I tell you that I have an MRI confirmed ACL tear from back when I was an orange belt. Against Dr.s "orders" I have continued without further substancial knee injury. I use a brace on the kneee and have my own rule that once I get to a certain point of tiredness I stop, as that is when I find I am most at risk.

No different than in class. You can always bow out should you feel you are going to mess it up. the Knee, that is.

Latest Discussions