KTricic

White Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in martial arts since I was four years old. I have my black belt in Taekwondo, Tangsoodo, and GongKwon Yusul and currently my green belt in Shotokan. I used to compete a lot, primarily in sparring but I used to do poomsae as well. However, the last time I competed was the first time I saw sport poomsae uniforms. I wanna get back into competing. At least locally but I'm wondering what's different about sport poomse uniforms? How do they help? And why are they used as opposed to normal V-necks.

*Also a side note, new to the forum...am i able to change the rank it has on the left under my name?

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've trained in martial arts since I was four years old. I have my black belt in Taekwondo, Tangsoodo, and GongKwon Yusul and currently my green belt in Shotokan. I used to compete a lot, primarily in sparring but I used to do poomsae as well. However, the last time I competed was the first time I saw sport poomsae uniforms. I wanna get back into competing. At least locally but I'm wondering what's different about sport poomse uniforms? How do they help? And why are they used as opposed to normal V-necks.

*Also a side note, new to the forum...am i able to change the rank it has on the left under my name?

The answer kinda goes the other way round: sports poomsae uniforms generally aren't very good for sparring: they taper at the waist (as opposed to being boxy like a V-neck) which can be a little constricting, and the crossover collar with ties at the waist are just another opportunity for your opponent to accidentally catch a toe on fabric while kicking. The V-necks also hold together better when you're pulling your hogu off over your head. So there's no practical advantage to a sports poomsae uniform other than that they "look nice" when performing poomsae.

Another difference is the use of logos: at Nationals, your sparring pullover V-neck can have more prominent school logos on it (since it's going to be covered by a hogu anyway). The sports poomsae uniforms are supposed to be relatively free of logos.

* The martialtalk rank is just an indication of how active you've been on martialtalk; it'll go up over time as you participate.

OP
K

KTricic

White Belt
Reaction score
Awesome thanks, however with those things you mentioned... how do they benefit you in sport poomsae. The tapered design and the pants being a different color. I assume the Y neck design on the uniform is to set it apart from regular uniforms. I don’t know though. I wanna get into poomsae competition sometime soon so I figure knowing these little things would be helpful.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
...how do they benefit you in sport poomsae...

Repeat: So there's no practical advantage to a sports poomsae uniform other than that they "look nice" when performing poomsae.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Repeat: So there's no practical advantage to a sports poomsae uniform other than that they "look nice" when performing poomsae.
They make a nice noise too! [emoji14]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In what world is "look nice" not a practical trait?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe I'm just cynical, but the way I see it, the only thing the specific sport dobaks help is the profit margins of the very few places allowed to sell them. Any properly fitted and cared for dobak will look good. And any properly executed technique will give you plenty of uniform snap.

The rank under your name is strictly a guide to how much an individual has participated in the discussions here on MartialTalk. It'll change over time; don't worry about it.

Latest Discussions