green belt techniques

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey, :) I just promoted to green belt today and was looking over my sheet to see what I will need to learn and I came across a few techniques I had not heard of that weren't in any of my reference books. We practice ITF style and are affiliated with TAGB in Canada and refer to our techniques in English only so I don't have the Korean. I'm going to ask my instructors on Monday but in the meantime I was curious if anyone had heard of these and could point me to examples/alternate names/patterns they are in so I can work through as much as I can before class.
-Hooking block (have not heard of and is not the same as scooping block or 45 degree circular block)
-Reinforced Guarding Block (I know closed hand guarding block and knife hand guarding block but not how this differs)
-Twin knife hand guarding block (I think this is a twin guarding block but with knife hand instead of closed fists but wanted confirmation)
-Middle section elbow strike (does this come straight across? The only strike I have seen in a pattern so far is in Yul Gok and it strikes to the upper section, so far we have only practiced elbows as part of self defense)
Thanks for any replies. :)

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tryak,

My first instinct is to tell you to wait and learn it from your instructor. That is what I would want from my students. ;)

But I hate it when people get preachy and question others' judgement, so I'll just trust you know your situation and butt out of your biz. LOL!

To answer your question, all those moves are found in Yul Gok, I believe.

Hooking block: moves 13-15, 17-19
Elbow strike - I don't know how your schooldifferentiates the elbows, but you know there's one in YG.
You're right about the twin knifehand block - and it's in YG
Reinforced guarding block - I believe we call it reinforced forearm block...looks like it could be referred to as guarding block to me...last moves in the form.

Congrats on green.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about some of those techniques just yet because you wont even be using some of them until later on in your training. For example the twin knife hand guarding block which is like the double forearm guarding block except in a knife hand, well that technique doesnt show up in any itf patterns unitl sam-il which is a 3rd dan pattern.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, congratulations on the promotion!

Hey, :) I just promoted to green belt today and was looking over my sheet to see what I will need to learn and I came across a few techniques I had not heard of that weren't in any of my reference books. We practice ITF style and are affiliated with TAGB in Canada and refer to our techniques in English only so I don't have the Korean. I'm going to ask my instructors on Monday but in the meantime I was curious if anyone had heard of these and could point me to examples/alternate names/patterns they are in so I can work through as much as I can before class.

Uh... while I encourage my students to practice outside of class, I don't encourage them to try to learn new techniques, much less patterns, until they are taught, because it's too easy to learn bad habits that way.

I suggest you talk to your instructor - s/he will teach you your new techniques when s/he thinks it is appropriate. It would be very hard to describe them in writing sufficiently for you to learn them independently.

-Hooking block (have not heard of and is not the same as scooping block or 45 degree circular block)

Nope, not close. This is a soft hand technique (performed regular speed, but without full power, with the hand in a position similar to holding a soda can) - easy to demonstrate, hard to explain.

-Reinforced Guarding Block (I know closed hand guarding block and knife hand guarding block but not how this differs)

Uh... this must be a terminology issue; I've practiced Ch'ang H'on (ITF) TKD for 22 years, and I've never heard this particular term. Given the tul (pattern) and the other techniques you've given, this would be double inner forearm guarding block - which involves, more or less, an inner forearm block with the obverse (lead) hand, while placing the reverse (rear) hand on the obverse elbow. Again - easy to show, but there are quite a few technical details missing - and given the difference in terminology, it's possible the block is different, so I'm not going to try, just in case.

-Twin knife hand guarding block (I think this is a twin guarding block but with knife hand instead of closed fists but wanted confirmation)

This is exactly like the twin outer forearm block in Won-Hyo, except that the hands are in knife hands instead of fists.

-Middle section elbow strike (does this come straight across? The only strike I have seen in a pattern so far is in Yul Gok and it strikes to the upper section, so far we have only practiced elbows as part of self defense)

It comes straight across, with the reverse (rear) striking elbow striking the obverse (front) palm, to simulate striking a solid target. Again, easy to show, but difficult to explain in writing.

Thanks for any replies. :)

I wouldn't worry about some of those techniques just yet because you wont even be using some of them until later on in your training. For example the twin knife hand guarding block which is like the double forearm guarding block except in a knife hand, well that technique doesnt show up in any itf patterns unitl sam-il which is a 3rd dan pattern.

I think this is a terminology issue, as there is, indeed, a twin outer forearm block with knife hands in Yul-Gok, which it sounds like the pattern he is going to learn next, based on his new rank and the techiques he's listed. The pattern movements can be found here.

OP
T

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about some of those techniques just yet because you wont even be using some of them until later on in your training.

They are required moves for my next grading so I think I shall be worrying about them a bit sooner. :)

Kacey,
I more wanted to get an idea of what the moves look like so I can recognize them in class than doing serious amounts of drills at home. It's a mixed class with orange-purple (I think that's green stripe to blue stripe under traditional colors) so sometimes we don't get to even see what our new moves look like for several weeks depending on the mix of belts and what we are concentrating on.

Also yes terminology is definitely an issue I have had before with some of our moves..

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score

I think this is a terminology issue, as there is, indeed, a twin outer forearm block with knife hands in Yul-Gok, which it sounds like the pattern he is going to learn next, based on his new rank and the techiques he's listed. The pattern movements can be found here.

Yes a terminology glitch...you are correct, Yul-Gok will have the twin knife hand guarding block, but can you see where I got confuse with what seems like a twin guarding block in Sam-Il? BTW I really have to brush up on my terminology!

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
They are required moves for my next grading so I think I shall be worrying about them a bit sooner. :)

Kacey,
I more wanted to get an idea of what the moves look like so I can recognize them in class than doing serious amounts of drills at home. It's a mixed class with orange-purple (I think that's green stripe to blue stripe under traditional colors) so sometimes we don't get to even see what our new moves look like for several weeks depending on the mix of belts and what we are concentrating on.

Also yes terminology is definitely an issue I have had before with some of our moves..
I think the internet is your best friend here

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I understand the hooking block, you just put your hand out like you're dumping a can out, so that the palm falls across the wrist you're trying to grasp. (It's a pretty relaxed motion, Do it too fast and you just knock the attacker's arm away.) You don't actually grip though, it's just supposed to be a friction lock. All you really have to do after making contact is pull your arm down, and theirs will follow.

Latest Discussions