Shooting of sex offender parolee upsets San Fran...

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:D I did my English literature dissertation on Wells and Clarke :tup:.

yes, this is Off Topic.

I _knew_ there were good reasons for liking your posts! by the way - was it Arthur C. Clark?? If so. what an apt combination for a paper.

thanks A

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, it was Arthur C. Clarke :). A long time ago now that I wrote that dissertation, before the ugly rumours about the man's sexual proclivities sprang up to mar his wonderful literary legacy. The stories and ideas remain wonderful, regardless - 2001, Rendezvous with Rama, The Fountains of Paradise ... and so many more.

For "The Time Machine" alone, even if he'd written nothing else, Wells won my enduring admiration. That tale resonates with me still and even colours my political views to an extent :D.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cleaving back to the OP of the thread, I cannot for the life of me understand why, if the bare bones of the events are that a man was running and blindly shooting, that the general public in the area would object to the suppression of the danger by any legal means necessary?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cleaving back to the OP of the thread, I cannot for the life of me understand why, if the bare bones of the events are that a man was running and blindly shooting, that the general public in the area would object to the suppression of the danger by any legal means necessary?

I can answer that. It would most like be one or all of the following:

1) The people that were in the area are dirtbags as well, so they took offense to a fellow dirtbag being shot by the police.

2) The people in the area are anti police. The guy could've been pulled over by the police and issued a ticket for running a light, and the bystanding citizens would've still taken offense.

3) Race was a big factor. Something to consider...if the suspect was white, would the bystanders have the same reaction, regardless of the race of the officer?

4) These bystanders aren't interested in the facts, just whats going on at the given moment.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I heard the guy was hit 5-6 times. The video shows the BG in a large pool of blood. Maybe one wound was from a .380?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Said he was firing over his shoulder. Was he firing over his shoulder in to his own neck/head?

Arch...is the truth going to even matter? :(

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
News article states two hits w a .380. Leg and head...femoral bleed probably.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Caver??

Janet Jackson (!) quotes H. G. Wells? (my head spins).

Can we credit Wells, please? check him @ BrainyQuotes for more good stuff.
a great writer... do you think he's mostly forgotten or maybe just 'disappeared' behind current pop celebrities?

A

It was the first thing that popped into my mind A. and yeah I was aware that it was Wells who first quoted it but like I said, Janet was the first thing to pop into my mind when I was reading... you wanna choose a fat ole' english guy over a hot yung pop singer (well she was at the time) to think about then be my guest... heh :wink2:
Anyway one of my favorite Wells quotes is : The first one to raise a fist... is the first one to run out of ideas.

Cleaving back to the OP of the thread, I cannot for the life of me understand why, if the bare bones of the events are that a man was running and blindly shooting,
He prolly saw it in a movie once and of course tried to emulate it because it looked cool.
that the general public in the area would object to the suppression of the danger by any legal means necessary?
Like what MJS said, because someone took notice of the color of each of the participants.... hmm black guy and white cops... yep Rodney King all over again alright! Lets Riot!!
Afterall... "a riot is an ugly thingk... and I think it's about time we had one!!!" ~Young Frankenstein

Latest Discussions