Shooting of sex offender parolee upsets San Fran...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a bunch of arrests of protestors in San Francisco after the police shot an killed a fleeing parolee who was firing a pistol over his shoulder. Is there something the press is leaving out?

The story: (There is graphic footage of the suspect after he was shot and waiting for the ambulance, there is profanity as well.)

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/07/man_shot_by_sfpd_was_wanted_in.php

From the story:

Police Chief Greg Suhr told reporters on Sunday that Harding was wanted for questioning in the homicide of Gilbert, who was pregnant. He had just been released from jail in King County in Washington state, where he had been convicted of sex crimes, according to news outlets

The man was chased by police officers in the Bayview after he tried to dodge paying his Muni fare.

Two police officers had stopped Harding on the Third Street light rail platform near Oakdale and Palou avenues. He started running, pulled out a gun, and began firing at officers over his shoulder as he continued sprinting toward Mendell Plaza, according to police.

"He was shooting indiscriminately, more than one time," Suhr told reporters. "He fired at them, they fired back. That is what officers are going to do. If you fire at the police, they are going to shoot back."
-------------------------------------------

THAT LED TO THIS PROTEST:

http://www.breitbart.tv/police-arrest-35-in-san-francisco-after-protests-turn-violent/

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
San Fransisco is pretty screwed up. I believe it's one of those 'Welcome Illegals!' places.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
San Fransisco is pretty screwed up. I believe it's one of those 'Welcome Illegals!' places.

some of us call it home and actually like it here. quirks, oddities, problems and everything. Nobody claims it's perfect, but it's got a lot of great things going.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would be informative if the clip included what they were arrested for. Walking along with signs and yelling "cops pigs", while certainly a display of ignorance, isn't violent. Were there punches thrown? Barricades broken?
A hammer was thrown at a cop as well as other instances of vandalism and violence.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
some of us call it home and actually like it here. quirks, oddities, problems and everything. Nobody claims it's perfect, but it's got a lot of great things going.
When I visited, I liked it. Good food, lots of cute girls, beautiful scenery.

But the political aspects, oy vey!

and I have 0 respect for 'sanctuary cities'.

No matter how good the pho is.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I visited, I liked it. Good food, lots of cute girls, beautiful scenery.

But the political aspects, oy vey!

and I have 0 respect for 'sanctuary cities'.

No matter how good the pho is.

while being a sanctuary city may not present an actual solution to the issue, I think they are important in the mean time. They establish another point of view and perhaps in the long run will aid in working out what a reasonable solution actually is.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to disagree, and think that the sanctuary policy may have contributed to this situation.

I'll still visit though if in the area. The Pho is good. ;)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For me this line in the article stood out above all the rest...
"He was shooting indiscriminately, more than one time," Suhr told reporters. "He fired at them, they fired back. That is what officers are going to do. If you fire at the police, they are going to shoot back."

Fire at me and if I have a gun I'm damned well going to shoot back too.
Shooting indiscriminately... gee, wonder how those protesters would've felt if the perp's bullet had struck a little black kid sitting in a stroller?? Would they call THAT racially motivated, or just plain bad luck?
White, black, brown or yellow... it doesn't matter to cops if there's a gun being shot at them. They're going to end the threat.
The guy was a sex offender to boot and violating his parole. I guess that doesn't take it into account because of the differences in races between him and the cops.

When are we all going to become color blind?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Someone firing over their shoulder on a city street? I don't care if the guy was firing at LEOs, civilians, neighborhood pets or the broad side of a barn, I find that horrifying. A solemn thanks to the SFPD.

Psst. Bill? Love ya, but....a guy from Chicagoland telling people to leave San Fran because of politics? :lol:

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/07/kenneth_harding_rally_turns_vi.php

Angry protesters tossed smoke bombs and disrupted Muni service yesterday evening shortly after police released information that suggested 19-year-old Kenneth Harding had indeed fired at cops before they shot and killed him.

Roughly 150 people gathered in Dolores Park at about 5 last night to kick off what became a few hours of chaos and mayhem in response to the officer-involved shooting in Bayview this past weekend. Protesters walked through the Mission and Castro neighborhoods, using sticks and hammers to smash signs and vandalize buildings.

At one point, protesters threw a hammer at cops standing outside the Mission police station, and tried to wrestle away a camera from a reporter, according to new reports. No officers were injured.
Groups then stormed the Castro Muni station and disrupted traffic along Market Street, forcing police to close some streets. Officers circled protesters, who ignored their orders to clear the area. After some brief scuffles, police then arrested 43 people, 17 of whom were San Francisco residents and 26 from outside the county. One person was from out of state..

Riot over the shooting of a parolee..convicted sex offending..possibly murderer..who decided to shoot at the cops??

WTF??

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Angry crowds gathered around Harding. Later that night, protesters gathered in the Mission, rallying against what they say was a racially motivated shooting.

A wise man mentioned something about race over common sense...

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure it has a lot to do with rumor mills and people not getting the full story.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I figure each day spent in Illinois makes it one less day I have to spend in Purgatory after I cross over.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A wise man mentioned something about race over common sense...
That made me think of a line spoken by Janet Jackson from her Rhythm Nation 1814 album "We are in a race between education and catastrophie".

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That made me think of a line spoken by Janet Jackson from her Rhythm Nation 1814 album "We are in a race between education and catastrophie".

Caver??

Janet Jackson (!) quotes H. G. Wells? (my head spins).

Can we credit Wells, please? check him @ BrainyQuotes for more good stuff.
a great writer... do you think he's mostly forgotten or maybe just 'disappeared' behind current pop celebrities?

more Wells: "Affliction comes to us, not to make us sad but sober; not to make us sorry but wise."

(on editing other people's writing)
"No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft."

anyway, many thanks for reminding me to re-read him. and William Gibson's "the Difference Engine". ahh...steampunk dreams...

A

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:D I did my English literature dissertation on Wells and Clarke :tup:.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gotta love how people who weren't involved in this from the beginning, suddenly get involved, start taping, start acting like *******s and making an already tense scene, more tense. As Mac said, I too wonder how these jackass bystanders would've felt if the dirtbag that was shooting, shot an innocent person.

I heard one of the bystanders asking where the gun was. I'd be interested in knowing if a) there was a gun from the beginning and b) if so, was it on the suspect or if it was tossed, was it located?

To shoot the guy if he had no gun...definately wrong. Were they justified if he was shooting at them? Absolutely! I'd have done the same thing!

Latest Discussions