set a fitness goal here.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
alright folks, just a couple days left for some of us who first posted...

i'm a little nervous about meeting my goal, but tuesday i'm going to go for it.

jf

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well we finally have decent weather here so I'll join in. For March, I want to be able to walk at Min. 3 miles every day with no weights, ride the psycho mare 2x a week :anic:, and start the race mare:supcool:. In class be able to block head shots as well as I block low kicks, or at least see major improvement. Pass my instructors guard w/o getting trapped in a submission. ( OK, this may a bit take longer ):samurai:
lori

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
jumped the gun a bit, just did 16 consecutive one hand clean & jerks at 60lbs! one rep max calculator puts that as equal to 103lbs one rep.

i underestimated the cardio requirements of doing 16 reps. my chest is on fire.

jf

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I have lost six pounds and was able to jog not run but jog seven laps around the high school track so I am up to one and a third mile. I am feeling better and I do not eat after 8 pm anymore. I think I can be at 225 by the time summer get here and maybe even 200 by the end of summer.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
great work terry! stay with it.

jf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I definitely got in a good bit of schlepping towards the end of the month (moving to a 3rd floor walkup will do that...LOL).

More to come in the coming weeks...

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do one hundred push-ups a day. Not all at once, but in groups of 10 and 15.
For the women, most of us struggle with that pesky upper body strength, and I have discovered that push-ups are the magic bullet.

Carol- forget the gym! Invest in ketel bells and clubbells.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, did my 100 push-ups. Two sets of 15, followed by a ladder from 10 down to 1, then finished with 20.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do one hundred push-ups a day. Not all at once, but in groups of 10 and 15.
For the women, most of us struggle with that pesky upper body strength, and I have discovered that push-ups are the magic bullet.

Carol- forget the gym! Invest in ketel bells and clubbells.

Sounds like a damn good idea! I can lay down some extra mats to minimize any accidental thumpage for my downstairs neighbors. :D

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did it , well almost .
Pull ups from 1 to 6 were no problem , I thought I might actually do it.
At about rep 7 to 8 reality was starting to set in , starting to pull my body up slower and slower.

Rep 9 muscles don't want to respond , only will power is getting my chin up to the bar.

Rep 9 to 10 is a real struggle , feel like I'm going to pass out , I try to summon everything I've got but can only manage to just get my chin to touch the bar.

The bar has beaten me this time but I am not defeated , there is always next month.
Damn it I wish my neck was longer , I would have made that last rep.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did it , well almost .
Pull ups from 1 to 6 were no problem , I thought I might actually do it.
At about rep 7 to 8 reality was starting to set in , starting to pull my body up slower and slower.

Rep 9 muscles don't want to respond , only will power is getting my chin up to the bar.

Rep 9 to 10 is a real struggle , feel like I'm going to pass out , I try to summon everything I've got but can only manage to just get my chin to touch the bar.

The bar has beaten me this time but I am not defeated , there is always next month.
Damn it I wish my neck was longer , I would have made that last rep.

nicely done! i have a couple tips on chin up training, if you're interested.

doing weighted chin ups will increase your reps a little bit, but really it will just make your first few reps faster. high reps of chin ups are about muscle endurance, weighted ones are more about explosive force.

just do sets to failure several times a day, almost every day. after you start seeing decline in your reps for about two days straight, take two days off & just stretch. when you come back to it you should be able to do at least 2 more reps than you could before, maybe 3 or 4. nothing fancy, just sets to failure, over & over.

doing this i went from 12 chins to 20 in about 3 months. i eventually got up to 24 but lost it after a muscle tear in my upper back.

one other thing: when going for your record, once you hit failure let go with one hand, relax your arm, & shake some blood back into it. do the same thing with you're other arm. you should be able to get a couple more reps after that.

hope this helps, keep it up!

jf

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
nicely done! i have a couple tips on chin up training, if you're interested.

doing weighted chin ups will increase your reps a little bit, but really it will just make your first few reps faster. high reps of chin ups are about muscle endurance, weighted ones are more about explosive force.

just do sets to failure several times a day, almost every day. after you start seeing decline in your reps for about two days straight, take two days off & just stretch. when you come back to it you should be able to do at least 2 more reps than you could before, maybe 3 or 4. nothing fancy, just sets to failure, over & over.

doing this i went from 12 chins to 20 in about 3 months. i eventually got up to 24 but lost it after a muscle tear in my upper back.

one other thing: when going for your record, once you hit failure let go with one hand, relax your arm, & shake some blood back into it. do the same thing with you're other arm. you should be able to get a couple more reps after that.

hope this helps, keep it up!

jf

Thank you , but when you mean chin ups , do you mean palms facing towards you or palms facing away . When I say pull ups I mean palms facing away .

I find pull ups a lot harder than chin ups , thats a good tip about shaking blood back into your arm I will try that. I'm not going to do weighted pull ups any more , last time I tore something in my forearm .

What has helped me is just doing regular pull ups and when I get to the top position I try and hold it for a couple of seconds and lower myself down slowly that has seemed to increase my strength a lot .

Do you think its worth trying to do all the fancy variations like commando pull ups etc or just stick to normal pull ups and chin ups ?
Thanks for the encouragement and training advice.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes i missed that you were training for pull ups/palm out specifically. but the same basic advice applies for chins or pulls. i've never used commandos & variations too seriously, but whatever gets you under the bar & pulling, do it.

training for pull ups specifically, once you hit failure switch to chin ups & keep going. chins are easier because they use the exact same back muscles as pull ups but they recruit your arm muscles more efficiently.

slowly lowering yourself is called a negative rep, & i've heard good things about using that but i've never used them much myself. i know lots of strong guys who really like them though.

jf

Latest Discussions