Weight Loss Challenge?

M

Melissa426

Anybody interested in a little "competition for motivation"-type challenge to help with losing weight?
I originally started TKD as a means for increasing fitness, and though it has helped, I still am not in as good as shape as I should be, far from it in fact.
A few caveats:
1. Honor based reporting. If you get your jollies by claiming to lose 10 lbs and you actually only lost 2, please don't join.
2. NOT a substitute for sound medical advice, Please consult your physician before starting any weight loss, diet, or fitness regime, etc, etc, etc.
3. Preferably for people who need to lose 20 or more lbs.
4. Weight loss reported once a week. Everyone starts as a white belt, when you lose 10 % of your goal, you get promoted to a yellow belt, etc, on up to Grand Master, which is 100% of your goal. It will make more sense once you see this in action. (I stole this idea from another website)
5. No prize at the end, unless MT administrators want to throw in a magnet or bumper-sticker? :uhyeah: Just the honor and glory of the rest of us admiring your achievements.

Either PM me or respond to this thread. I'd like at least 10 other participants to be part of the group, I'll post promotions once a week after everyone reports their lbs lost and goals.

Why is this Martial Arts related? I can only assume if I were fitter, I could kick higher, spar longer, strike stronger, and feel better overall.

Peace,
Melissa

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welll..I went on a sorta light-Atkins approach last December and dropped from abuot 210 to about 178 or so in about six months (mostly swithing to Splenda in my coffee..which I drink a lot of, and pretty sweet, and going with low-carb soda, but less bread and tortillas as well). However, since then I've started TKD which has made me not as carb-concious, but also I've started doing exercise (pushups, situps, jump-rope, and general technique and form practice) so I'm actually gaining a little weight. I have some pudginess around the middle I'd like to get rid of, but I'm getting more muscular in my arms, chest, and legs...so I don't think I'l be losing any more weight :)

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Melissa,

Sounds like a great motivator. Count me in. As today is Saturday, I'll give you my weight and goals tomorrow and report every Sunday.

Best,

Steve Lamade

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Melissa, I lost my weight, I found one of them but there was a pair when I bought them at Target. hehe Story of my life, weight on, weight off. I got to get some off, but I don't know if I have twenty pounds to lose, doubt it. Just lost about 12 before Thanksgiving and here I go again. But I will start it tomorrow as well! TW

OP
M

Melissa426

[@@@@@@ ] White belt 0 - 9 %
Melissa, Steve

[@@@@@@] Yellow belt 10 - 19 %

[@@@@@@] Orange belt 20 - 29 %

[@@@@@@] Green belt 30 - 39 %

[@@@@@@] Blue belt 40 - 49 %

[@@@@@@] Purple belt 50 - 59 %

[@@@@@@] Brown belt 60 - 69 %

[@@@@@@] Black belt 70 -79 %

[@@@@@@] Master Black Belt 80 - 89 %

[@@@@@@] Senior Master 90 - 99 %

[@@@@@@] GRAND MASTER 100 % of goal

Steve, you will move up a rank every 4.1#
I am setting a goal of 45#, so I will move up every 4.5 lbs.

We have met the enemy and he is ours! I intend to destroy him with water bombs (6 - 8 glasses a day) and repetitiously pounding him into the pavement (walking/running a total of 2 hours per week).

Good Luck!
Melissa

OP
R

rainbows

Could really do with losing a bit myself... I'm 155 now and I want to get down to 135.

OP
M

Melissa426

rainbows said:
Could really do with losing a bit myself... I'm 155 now and I want to get down to 135.
I'll add you to the list for next week.
2 lbs for each belt!
I think last night at TKD I probably killed 2 or 3 of "the enemy." Our instructor decided he wanted to try to tire us out. OMG, did he ever.

Peace,
Melissa

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
hey id like to join too ...i weigh 157 and id like to get down to 125

OP
K

Kempogeek

Hi. Im Steve and a newbie on this site. I couldn't agree more about being more fit can result in higher kicks, harder strikes etc. I would like to take part in this challenge but it will have to wait until the Spring. I like to do alot of walking. But with this snowstorm that we had yesterday, I pretty much grounded. So if I can check back later in the year, I can give my current weight and start from there. Good luck to everyone and train safe. All the best, Steve

OP
M

Melissa426

[@@@@@@ ] White belt 0 - 9 %
Melissa, Rainbows, Brandi Jo
[@@@@@@] Yellow belt 10 - 19 %
Steve
[@@@@@@] Orange belt 20 - 29 %

[@@@@@@] Green belt 30 - 39 %

[@@@@@@] Blue belt 40 - 49 %

[@@@@@@] Purple belt 50 - 59 %

[@@@@@@] Brown belt 60 - 69 %

[@@@@@@] Black belt 70 -79 %

[@@@@@@] Master Black Belt 80 - 89 %

[@@@@@@] Senior Master 90 - 99 %

[@@@@@@] GRAND MASTER 100 % of goal

:partyon: Yeah for Steve, He's up a rank! We would love some pointers, tips, motivators, if you want to post them.
I lost my motivation to pound the pavement when it got extremely cold. Trying
very hard to find it again. Soy burgers and salads are getting boring.
I still have 2 lbs to lose before I can go up a rank.

Kempogeek, whenever you are ready, jump on in . the more the merrier.

Peace,
Melissa

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a bit late but I'd like to join.
I'm 143 and would like to weigh 120 eventually,

Sam

OP
M

Melissa426

Welcome, Sam. :asian:
You will advance in rank every 2.3#

Melissa

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think my scale is quite that accurate but lol!

okay, now I have a reason to not eat so much junk food!
(well, i had reasons before, but still)

OP
K

Knifehand

230, i want to get down to 180... think i can do it?

Theres a lot of muscle under that fat... i want to see how ripped i really am...:ubercool:

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
230, i want to get down to 180... think i can do it?

Theres a lot of muscle under that fat... i want to see how ripped i really am...:ubercool:
of course you can do it!
what a silly question!

I'm at 135 at the moment, by the way

Latest Discussions