Goal setting in MA

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many believe that Martial Arts is a way of life, other believe that it is a sport, activity or past time to be enjoyed, learned from and respected.

Regardless, we all set goals for ourselves to achieve what we want out of our martial art.

I came across an interesting site on setting goals in sport:

http://www.mindtools.com/goaleffc.html

Setting Goals Effectively

The way in which you set goals strongly affects their effectiveness. Before you start to set goals, you should have set the background of goal setting by:

• [*]understanding your commitment to the sport
    [*]understanding the level you want to reach within the sport
    [*]knowing the skills that will have to be acquired and the levels of performance that will be needed
    [*]know where this will fit into your overall life goals
How have you set your goals in MA? Have they changed over the time you have practiced? What goals have you reached?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always tried to set my goals on a per class basis. My goals for each class were to 1) Show up for class and 2) find something from the previous class or similar lesson upon which to improve.

For the first goal I found that over a 2 yr and 5 month span I had never missed a class. I then had surgery so I was out for a while but, once cleared to return to class, I resumed the goal.

The second goal was based on activity. For instance, if we were holding a raised leg side kick to develop discipline and muscular endurance, I would take note of how long I held the kick.

The next time we would perform the same exercise I would set a goal to improve upon my former time. I soon realized that improvement was better measured in percentage than arbitrary selection.

For example, adding 15 seconds to my side kick time has a much difference impact depending on whether my previous best time was 1 minute or 2 minutes. However, an improvement of 10% or 15% was reasonable.

I never really set too many long-term goals. My perspective was that if I went to class (goal #1) and improved in even a small way each class (goal #2) then I would be making positive progress.

I would occasionally write down my recent performances and compare with those of several months ago. This allowed me to prove progress over a period of time thus maintaining my internal motivation.

I don't know if this is what's recommended by the article but I've found it to have worked for me.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, I started studying kenpo to 'encourage' my older step-daughter to re-sign and continue studying.

My younger daughter had studied for a couple of years at that point, the older girl did one year and then quit. I thought her stopping was a mistake, but didn't want to force the issue. So, my wife and I both signed up.

Three of us were participating, the older girl watched.

Anyhow ... the goal of having her resume the study of martial arts failed. I believe this is her loss.

I don't know that I have any specific goals. One goal that is consistent among all of my endeavers, is that I put in an honest effort, working as hard as I can each time I enter the mat.

Other than that, I continue to participate in American Kenpo because when I leave the training area, I always feel better than when I entered the training area. It doesn't take a whole lot of goal setting to do something that produces that result.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have two goals with MA as of this moment. I would like to earn my shodan in jujutsu and my samdan in Tang Soo Do. Both of these are going to be shorter term goals and I think that that is important. Sort of like rungs on a ladder...

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Many believe that Martial Arts is a way of life, other believe that it is a sport, activity or past time to be enjoyed, learned from and respected.

All of the above are true.

Goals are at the back bone of life in general. My goal in the martial arts is to study Aikido...if only briefly.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Regardless, we all set goals for ourselves to achieve what we want out of our martial art.

I came across an interesting site on setting goals in sport:

http://www.mindtools.com/goaleffc.html

[/font]
[/list]How have you set your goals in MA? Have they changed over the time you have practiced? What goals have you reached?

Lisa your heart is pure and your commitment is golden. I have in my time set goals that can never be reached just so I will push myself further everyday. My Martial Art Training is or I should say has become more of a spiritual training these days of my life. Itrain other to be the best that they can be and I train myself to be as good as my Master was for me. I cannot train a student if I cannot train me first. Journey is over when the loght goes off (does not mean death) when the light goes off spiritually.
Terry

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess it is just a part of some people's personality that they need to set goals. Personally, I could never train effectively without certain goals. I can't just go and "play" as a general philosophy of training. I play within my training but that isn't the focus or goal.

I have short term goals and long, both are necessary for my particular personality type. In other words, I have my mini-goals that I reach on a regular basis that keeps me inspired during the "big picture" goal.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me, anything outside of my family life is a past time I enjoy. I take the things I need from it, like the exercise, time to explore my own limits and the social nature of it. In return I give it my time commitment and my knowledge that grows as I learn and my positive attitude. I try always to remain positive in whatever I endeavour I am involved in. So, I guess as I grow, my goals grow with it, whether it be consciously setting a goal or just a sudden realization that I have achieved something through my committment to it.

I learn much better through enjoyment. If I enjoy what I am doing, I learn much faster then if I "have" to learn it.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I set goals but they are few and easily defined. I don't think I've met one of them! My goal for this year was 2nd degree brown belt by Christmas. It ain't gonna happen. Life intruded on my fun. I just reset the goal for a couple of months from now.

I consider goals to be a reference point. Whether or not you meet them can give you a lot of insight into yourself and how you go about achieving them. It's the journey that's important.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This is my belief...in martial arts and life, our goal is to be a good person and help others be good to themselves others too!

To be role model for others to follow. To help give the right directions in life. Teach our kids how to grow up to be a good person always.

Use the martial arts to build a strong body and if need to use it to guide others, that they can be good too. (Force does work)

It is the BAD people who are doing a GOOD job of raising BAD people. Can we win? So far it does not look good? That is why martial arts are around. Think about it?

Why do we train? Too many bad people around....can we all change the world? YES! In time!

Merry christmas and Happy New Year.............Aloha

Cujo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess that I approach goal setting like I do most things in life, methodically.
As for the martial arts, I first decided to ask why was I studying the martial arts in the first place? Was it for physical fitness and mental health? To build self confidence? For the competion offered in sports, whether kata, full contact, weapons etc? Or was it for self defense?
Early on in my studies it was for any of the above named reasons, but now that I am in law enforcement my studies are always geared towards self defense. CloQuBa Ha-Jutsu is a MMA that is geared towards leo's. All techniques used must be usable in full uniform, with all your gear, and usable by someone regardless of size or strength. If a technique does not fit into those criteria, it gets thrown out. I try to set physical fitness goals so that I am in shape enough to engage my opponent and always come out on top, or at least hold my own until back-up arrives.
So I guess my goals at this point involve constant evaluation of techniques that I use, my physical fitness, and looking at and checking out new techniques to see how they may be applied in real-life situations.

Pax
Cujo

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe you should have Nine seperate goals, Short - Medium - Long term goals in Body - Mind - Spirit.

For example.....mine.
Body: Short - loose 5 lbs
Med - be able to lock out all kicks
Long - Full splits - every way possible

Mind - Short - read a good MA book
Med - finish curent form
Long - learn business stradigy for new school

Spirit - Short - pray every night (meditate)
Med - go to church every sunday
Long - Become content with myself

Now the number 9 has a very special meaning in the Korean world, being 3 (a very special number by itself) three times. You will notice that some of my goals are lifetime achievements (kinda like spelling is for me :) ) keeps me working.

-Fluffy

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Beck when I was a pure taekwondoist to the core my goal and obsession in life was to get my shodan. After 5 years in it, I finally got it! Yay, me! Now my goals are achieve black in ninjutsu, get better at throwing shurriken, and to be able to do nunchuks fast without fitting myself (my elbows always seem to get him by the darn things). My long term goals are to one day take crane kung fu and to learn many exotic weapons like the wind and fire wheels, the 9 section whip chain (Which is the hardest weapon ever), and the fans. I might learn Iado someday; I think that'd be a cool one to learn

Becky

Latest Discussions