Self-defense is now ILLEGAL in the UK

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway all this stuff about it being illegal I don't care if it is if someone attacks me I will defend myself. If some scum bags trying to do me in I'm not going to think I can't hit back or I'm getting arrested ill do whatever I have to do to stop the guy and I'll face the consequences of my actions but I'd rather have to face a jury then face a priest

It's very simple, you defend yourself if attacked, you use the force that is needed, that doesn't mean once you have taken them down you them stab them, stamp on their heads etc. that would be stupid anyway.
A British serviceman was attacked today near an RAF camp, a suspected kidnapping/terrorist attack, one attacker had a knife, the airman dropped the first attacker who hit the ground and before the second attacker could get him he ran off to safety and alerted the police. Sensible self defence. No macho stuff, no nonsense just survival and a good description of the attackers and their vehicle.

Not sure why you'd face a priest?

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's very simple, you defend yourself if attacked, you use the force that is needed, that doesn't mean once you have taken them down you them stab them, stamp on their heads etc. that would be stupid anyway.
A British serviceman was attacked today near an RAF camp, a suspected kidnapping/terrorist attack, one attacker had a knife, the airman dropped the first attacker who hit the ground and before the second attacker could get him he ran off to safety and alerted the police. Sensible self defence. No macho stuff, no nonsense just survival and a good description of the attackers and their vehicle.

Not sure why you'd face a priest?
I mean it like a priest at a funeral burying me

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to clarify...
WEAPONS are illegal in the UK.
Martial arts are NOT illegal in the UK

Therefore, self-defense is NOT illegal in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Weapons aren't illegal in the UK. Many of us shoot, many of us own swords, knives etc etc all legally. Do it legally and all is fine.

lqkenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
Old quote but relevant in this debate:

'Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6' - Ed Parker

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old quote but relevant in this debate:

'Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6' - Ed Parker

12 also in England and Wales but 15 on a jury in Scotland who also have a choice of three verdicts...guilty, not guilty and not proven. More chance of getting away with something in Scotland.

lqkenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
12 also in England and Wales but 15 on a jury in Scotland who also have a choice of three verdicts...guilty, not guilty and not proven. More chance of getting away with something in Scotland.

Everyday is a school day, Thanks Tez3 :)

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I guess the thing is how easy is it to buy guns for self defense in the UK or Australia comparing it to the US.

And how are the police, courts, public and media of shooting or stabbing a burglar in the UK or Australia comparing it to the US.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's hard to tell with the general incoherence of moonhill99's posts, but is he citing the nearly 1000 shootings yearly by police in the U.S. vs 55 shootings in 24 years by police in the U.K. as a point of pride for the U.S.? Speaking as a U.S. citizen, I'm not exactly comfortable saying "our country is better than yours because our police shoot way more people than yours do, so nyah!"

I wonder if there more red tape for police officers in UK that have to prove the bad guy armed with bat, knife, stick, pole or any other weapon started to run or walk to the officer.

Or it just really hard for the police officers to shoot some one as you have to prove it in court.

So the police are really scared to shoot some one thee.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess the thing is how easy is it to buy guns for self defense in the UK or Australia comparing it to the US.

And how are the police, courts, public and media of shooting or stabbing a burglar in the UK or Australia comparing it to the US.

Don't compare them. You aren't anywhere close to understanding the different contexts, so you won't understand any similarities or differences if you find them.

Tired_Yeti

Green Belt
Reaction score
Weapons aren't illegal in the UK. Many of us shoot, many of us own swords, knives etc etc all legally. Do it legally and all is fine.

You know and I know that we were talking about the use of weapons against another person; not in a collection. And I'm pretty sure if you strap on your katana and walk down the streets of London, you will be arrested.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know and I know that we were talking about the use of weapons against another person; not in a collection. And I'm pretty sure if you strap on your katana and walk down the streets of London, you will be arrested.

And where can you walk down the street carrying a katana? Pretty sure most cities in the world would have police certainly interested if not arresting. Who caries a katana for self defence these days anyway?

I'm not talking about collections of knives, machetes etc, if you use them for work or leisure activities you can carry them in public though I'd recommend covering them up. I can carry a sword in public as long as it's covered up and am carrying it to or from a specific place for a specific reason. Handguns will be kept at gun clubs but shotguns are kept at home as rifles would be. You have to have a firearm certificate here and plenty of people do. In 2006, there were nearly 128,000 FACs covering just under 369,000 firearms in England and Wales and, in 2007, over 26,000 FACs covering nearly 67,000 guns in Scotland. Numbers have gone up since.
There is no reason that if you use something you have on you for self defence and it is a knife etc and you were in fear of your life you would be taken to court for defending yourself. If it's reasonable to use a weapon to defend yourself there's no problem here.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Also do not buy into the main steam media in the ease to purchase in the US. Background checks are performed and people are denied. Recent issues surround larger societal issues that politicians/media find harder to address so they focus on the tool rather than the root cause. Also the over sensationalism sells papers/internet click/tv viewing.... IMHO....

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Why? Why in the world would you wish to do that? They are different countries, with different laws, different societal outlooks, and different people. If you are planning on moving to the UK or Australia, I can see researching their laws. However, comparing their apples to our oranges is just a total waste of time and effort, and can't possibly have any sort of meaningful result in my opinion.

Are their chief weapons illegal in the UK?
;)

Their chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er ... among their chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering how many guns there are in the country probably not so bad ( there are many things to factor in I imagine, poverty, gangs, social conditions, terrorist attacks etc different places having different problems plus a justified fear that anyone being stopped by the police can be armed whereas it's unlikely here, at least armed with a gun anyway), any police shootings are regrettable because of the effects they have on police officers ( I'm not talking about the current highly publicised ones that have happened recently, I know little to nothing about those situations). It may suit moonhill to think that the police are aggressive bulldogs who act like Robocop but killing something is not something a police officer wants to do and it takes a long time getting over taking a life even when it's justifiable and saves lives.
Traditionally here long before anyone came up with so-called 'gun control' the weapons of choice here were always knives rather than guns even when guns we supposed to be available. 'Gun control' here has a long very tangled history with guns being denied to only Catholics as one time, (that's why the Pilgrim Fathers being Protestants had 'guns') then only Catholics as various kings and queens feared uprisings from whichever faction they were oppressing at the time. Then we've had terrorism for centuries, bombs and shootings, Guy Fawkes was a terrorist along with his gang. There's been a lot throughout our history right up to the present day, all this informs our thoughts on gun ownership.
I do think the incidence of actual guns and anticipated guns (there might be one there) probably account for much of the difference in the per capita rate. We could probably find out by looking at areas with low incidence of guns (both legal and illegal) in the US to see if those police forces have a rate similar to that in the UK.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also do not buy into the main steam media in the ease to purchase in the US. Background checks are performed and people are denied. Recent issues surround larger societal issues that politicians/media find harder to address so they focus on the tool rather than the root cause. Also the over sensationalism sells papers/internet click/tv viewing.... IMHO....
If you don't have any problems in your background, it is extremely easy to purchase. If you go to a gun show or buy from a neighbor, you can even bypass that issue.

So, yes, it is very easy to buy in the US.