Concealed Weapons choices

Justin Chang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just wasn't taught to use a firearm as a deterrent. If it was time to use it, it was to be pulled and if circumstances didn't change immediately, use it. I guess there is a little room for deterrence there, but the intent of pulling a weapon was to use it, not hope for deterrence.
I think the deterrent aspect is if you're open carrying like a police officer or armed guard, if no one can see it I doubt it would be too effective at deterring anything and I agree a gun should never be unholstered unless you intend to shoot it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have trained with some great Krav Maga instructors. Their weapons system is pretty basic (that is a good thing). The weapons are divided into:
1.) Weapons like a club
2.) Weapons like a shield
3.) Weapons like a rock
4.) Weapons like sling (all projectiles and distance weapons, firearms are here)
5.) Weapons like a sword (or knife)
6.) Weapons like a chain (flexible weapons)

When you divorce your mind of "techniques" you can see everything around you as a weapon.

As the OP, I was not asking "How do I defend a door?" or "Can I smash in someone's head with a bat or shoot them with a gun". My question is pretty basic....I can have a gun, I have training with a handgun, I DON'T want to use a handgun in 95% of situations. What are some other options?

I carry a handgun in my car. That is fine, but if I am not in my car it does me little good.
I carry a hand on my person, I want other options.
Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Despite all the rest of the thread hijacking I and others have engaged in, I think your question has been answered. Flashlight, OC, ASP or taser would all be options. In the Hapkido I studied, we learned a lot of defense with a short stick (about 12 inches long) that would also be an option, but there is a long learning curve to be competent and confident. Do you think the taser, OC, or flashlight would be what you were looking for or were you looking for other parameters for making choices?

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the deterrent aspect is if you're open carrying like a police officer or armed guard, if no one can see it I doubt it would be too effective at deterring anything and I agree a gun should never be unholstered unless you intend to shoot it.

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "if you didn't have that gun and badge..." but it goes beyond that. Coincidentally last month I respond to a call. A man had won in a property dispute with his ex-girlfriend. He is standing in front of the house a car pulls up and 4 guys with baseball bats hop out, one the new boyfriend. The new beau start yelling "you owe her $12,000, I'll... **** you have a gun." Everyone hops back in the cars and jet. Why? This guy has a permit but my State is an open carry State and he was wearing it in plain view on his hip.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had a dollar for everytime I heard "if you didn't have that gun and badge..." but it goes beyond that. Coincidentally last month I respond to a call. A man had won in a property dispute with his ex-girlfriend. He is standing in front of the house a car pulls up and 4 guys with baseball bats hop out, one the new boyfriend. The new beau start yelling "you owe her $12,000, I'll... **** you have a gun." Everyone hops back in the cars and jet. Why? This guy has a permit but my State is an open carry State and he was wearing it in plain view on his hip.

That would never happen in the UK.........

since the referendum to leave the EU property prices have fallen so low the husband would have been the loser for getting the house. :D:D:D:D

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Another vote for the mag light. I carry a tactical flash light with me most of the time. Its also great at temporarily blinding someone.

And you know its not illegal to carry a hammer or have one in your car, home or desk drawer. You know for putting up your certificates and diplomas, or family photos, and you just happen to still have it with you at work, or on the ride home or something.

I train in Kali as well - and we have used clubs, flashlights, pens, and yes hammers in class.

Last edited:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another vote for the mag light. I carry a tactical flash light with me most of the time. Its also great at temporarily blinding someone.

And you know its not illegal to carry a hammer or have one in your car, home or desk drawer. You know for putting up your certificates and diplomas, or family photos, and you just happen to still have it with you at work, or on the ride home or something.

I train in Kali as well - and we have used clubs, flashlights, pens, and yes hammers in class.

I do sometimes carry a tactical flashlight (if I think I will be in low light conditions) but typically it's my knife and a tactical pen always.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Shouldn't be carried unless you intend to shoot it.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shouldn't be carried unless you intend to shoot it.

Agreed but the US is a crazy country where you can actually still open carry in many States like they did in the "Wild West" so be prepared to use it BUT if you open carry it's obvious presence can be a deterrent as well. I do not open carry, though I could. Hell I can't remember the last time I carried a gun off duty tbh, but it's doable.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrong. The correct term is "prepared" not "intend". Big difference.

Difference in semantics to an extent in Drop Bear (to the extent that I can speak for him or you) and your comments, but also in thought processes, at least for me. When I carry a firearm, I must indeed be prepared to use it. If I pull that firearm, that means I intend to use it.

Something may change between the time I start to draw the firearm and the time I pull the trigger, that may change the situation. But I would not pull the weapon unless I intended to use it. Absent something happening that changed the need to shoot, I would shoot.

If that isn't the way you want to carry and use, that is your choice.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never aim a gun at something you do not intend to destroy.

Latest Discussions