whats the point of grappling arts?

OP
senseiblackbelt

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
The "stand up grappling" can be used to deal with multiple opponents. Instead of knocking down your opponents one after another, you can take them down one after another instead.

If you are strong enough, you can pick up one opponent, throw him toward the others and finish the fight much quickly that way. :)

If you are extremely strong, you can

- pick up one guy,
- hold on his ankle,
- swing him like swinging a baseball bat, and
- knock down your opponent one after another.

Don't have clip for that yet. :)

- pick up one guy,
- hold on his ankle,
- swing him like swinging a baseball bat, and
- knock down your opponent one after another.

one word.

wow.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The ability to control another person's body is the most foundational skill in combat. Grappling is the applied science of doing just that. In the prologue of Liechtenauer's verses, the first specific martial instruction given to young knights is to "wrestle well":

"Jung Ritter lere / got lip haben frawen io ere / So wechst dein ere
Uebe ritterschaft und lere / kunst dy dich zyret und in krigen sere hofiret
Ringens gut fesser / glefney sper swert unde messer
menlich bederben / unde in andern henden vorterben"

Translation:

Young Knight learn to love God and revere women so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars. Wrestle well and wield lance, spear, sword, and dagger manfully, whose use in others' hands is wasted.

The Nuremburg Hausbuch says quite plainly that "all fencing comes from wrestling" (alles fechten kommt von ringen).

That was the advice from professional warriors to others of their class. Presumably they knew what they were talking about.

Even assuming you don't want to grapple, you need to know how to grapple to avoid getting grappled. Just like Chuck Liddell using his wrestling in reverse... he couldn't have been the striker he was without his wrestling background. The better grappler often decides how the great majority of a fight will go down. Not training grappling is unwise if your goal is to become a complete martial artist. Asking whether grappling training is useful is like asking whether literacy is useful.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've done a tiny bit of wrestling, judo and jiu jitsu not a lot but a few weeks here and there and it is effective for what it is and I wouldn't want to mess with an expert of any grappling

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Again...I stated against multiple attackers, while remaining on the ground, is not advisable and dangerous.
Any type of fighting against multiple attackers is not advisable and dangerous. I don't know a single reputable grappling instructor who teaches that one should take the fight to the ground in a multiple attacker situation.

Getting out and up and training for that is justified.
And the best way to do that is to learn solid fundamentals on the ground.
But, remaining on the ground or even being taken to the ground, when multiple assailants are attacking you, is asking for a quick trip to the emergency room.
There are a myriad of ways one can end up on the ground in a confrontation without ever meaning to. The other guy (or guys), your environment, etc. all get a vote in how a fight goes down.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me see a video of it and then, I will make my decision. The shear amount of potentials are, to say the least, staggering. I can say now at this time, after seeing and being in situations like that. That staying on the ground, and fighting five guys, who most likely won't stay on the ground, is definitely a resounding no. Now, if you are saying that you can grapple standing up and on the ground, as I previously stated that being made aware. That a few commenters understood it as standing and ground grappling, then yes absoulutly.

But training to grapple multiple attackers while remaining on ground, is a waste of time.

Your logical fallacy is strawman

Not a single person in this thread has advocated deliberately taking a fight against multiple persons to the ground, nor have they advocated choosing to stay there.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"When I'm fighting multiple people, I prefer to go to the ground and stay there," said no one ever.

Going to the ground and staying there is a great idea if you're the one with friends. So, if you're fighting against multiple attackers, you may find you don't have a lot of choice about whether you're on the ground or not.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
"When I'm fighting multiple people, I prefer to go to the ground and stay there," said no one ever.

Going to the ground and staying there is a great idea if you're the one with friends. So, if you're fighting against multiple attackers, you may find you don't have a lot of choice about whether you're on the ground or not.

Exactly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But this is still multiple attackers yeah?

Don't fight them at all. It sucks.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are in a controlled environment, such as the ring or a training hall, for sport it Can be useful. In a real life scenario it has the possibility of be useful...if you are only facing one attacker. But, in my opinion, that is as far as Its usefulness goes. It is definitely a one on one system of self defense.
Hmm. Really? OK I guess. We have had challenges from all styles and fighters using rules ranging from friendly to dirty. Bjj wins more than 90% of those. Police, military and special services train in it. If you don't like it or can not do it properly then fine but don't knock it. It has been proven to work. Many have sweat, bled and broken limbs proving it's effectiveness.

D

Deleted member 34973

Hmm. Really? OK I guess. We have had challenges from all styles and fighters using rules ranging from friendly to dirty. Bjj wins more than 90% of those. Police, military and special services train in it. If you don't like it or can not do it properly then fine but don't knock it. It has been proven to work. Many have sweat, bled and broken limbs proving it's effectiveness.
Excellent, I hope you really enjoy it.

Sub Zero

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If you are in a controlled environment, such as the ring or a training hall, for sport it Can be useful. In a real life scenario it has the possibility of be useful...if you are only facing one attacker. But, in my opinion, that is as far as Its usefulness goes. It is definitely a one on one system of self defense.

No martial art will help against multiple opponents. Except for running.

UqaabKamikaze

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dash and run.
Submissions are deadly against one opponent if you really want to choke him, break His arm or legs or shoulder. Against multiple opponent it teaches you how to keep your vital area safe and quickly get up on your feet.
Striking and standing art against one is not as beneficial as grappling as you have chances of getting hurt in exchange of strikes. Against multiple attacker it is great tool to prepare escape root.
But fighting multiple opponents without running I would never do that...that is not bravery (conditions apply) but foolishness.
And to all you people I may be wrong because yesterday was my first day to Start learning martial art.

Sent from my Karbonn A2+ using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions