Self-defense is now ILLEGAL in the UK

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really news dude.

You can't carry defensive weapons in Australia either.

And one of the criteria here is you are supposed to be removing yourself from the threat.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not really news dude.

And one of the criteria here is you are supposed to be removing yourself from the threat.

Well Australia is kinda like the UK too where Self defense is out.

Self defence is a very "grey" area under the law. You cannot use any more force than is reasonably necessary to stop the threat to your life.

Any form of self defense you use in Australia that involves the use of a weapon (including a knife or baseball bat or stick ) or a special skill (like martial arts) will almost certainly find you arrested by the police.

I know Japan also has laws like this where you cannot even get sword.

In the Netherlands, Finland and Japan you cannot buy gun for Self defense.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Self-defense is now ILLEGAL in the UK.

Self-defense is now ILLEGAL in the UK

It now looks like Self-defense is now Illegal in the UK.

Self Defense Is Illegal In The UK

For anyone here living in the UK and thinking of Self-defense.

Have you considered looking to anything close to a reliable source… or even a partially credible one? This alarmist skewing of reality for shocks sake is really far, far beneath being given the moniker of "news"… or "accurate"… or "good writing".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What utter rubbish, complete and total nonsense.

In the UK you are allowed to defend yourself, you can even use a pre emptive strike if you feel your life is in danger and you can use weapons. All that is asked in law is that the force used is reasonable. You can certainly 'stand your ground'.

"The first thing that the government has done is banned a variety of sexual acts," and what the hell is that about...I suspect and I'm going to be looking into this further especially with the other site that those 'variety of sexual acts' mentioned is paedophilia.
If the OP is not only posting up nonsense about self defence but is using sites promoting paedophilia I think there will be repercussions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posted twice as computer playing up.

WW3 Combatives

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A lot of countries have similar laws with defending yourself. You can only use as much force as is needed to stop the threat. If you knock the person out and then continue to beat them till they are dead then that is way to far. If someone is trying to kill you and you kill them in the pursuit of saving your own life, then it is justified. If a 110lbs woman attacks a man that weighs 230lbs and he uses extreme force or a weapon to stop her. Then that is definitely going to far.

When you are in a situation where you defend yourself and the result is an injured or dead attacker. The best thing to do is call the police immediately. If you run away you will be caught and you will appear suspicious. When talking to the cops you have to be careful, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. The best thing to say is "I was afraid for my life, I want to speak to a lawyer", nothing else.

Self defense is such a grey area and leaves people with the idea that if they do anything they will get in trouble. It is very unfortunate and leaves many people to become victims.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When talking to the cops you have to be careful, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. The best thing to say is "I was afraid for my life, I want to speak to a lawyer", nothing else.

In the UK you are allowed and entitled to have a solicitor, being abrupt with the police is not recommended. What you have to understand is that when police officers arrive at a scene they have no way of telling who is who and what has been done, they aren't against anyone, they just don't know who is telling the truth so a series of actions is take to enable what happened to be pieced together. Assuming the police are against you from the start would be false, here at least anyway. One doesn't have to be so much 'careful' as to be prepared to tell the truth, police officers will understand that a victim is shaken and upset.
this is the law on self defence in the UK.
Self Defence: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also your source is light on details and the one source it quotes is only talking abut self defence items you can buy, it does not talk about self defence in general.

You should really determine what is actually being conveyed in the article (as is the one who posted it) you are referencing, especially if it is second hand information, before posting it on here (or anywhere for that matter).

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets take one of the sites comments apart.
"The United Kingdom has been moving politically to the Left for some time now, but even in our wildest dreams, never could we have imagined that it would become illegal to protect yourself there."

Incorrect, we have a Conservative government and at this moment an Opposition that is more centre than left, after Brexit the country has moved more to the Right.

"As reported by The New American, British subjects seeking advice about what are and are not permissible self-defense instruments found some recently on a police web site. It is sponsored by the British government's Police National Legal Database."

That 'police website' isn't an official police website, nor is the 'Police National legal Database' government run, they are one and the same thing, a charity purporting to give advice.

"In another case, a well-known TV personality was seated at her kitchen table with her daughter one night when she caught several young men peering through her window. She immediately began looking around for something to use to defend herself and her daughter from what she believed was an imminent attack and found a kitchen knife. She waved it in front of them and chased them away."

This was a rather sad publicity stunt admitted by the person concerned.

Real people have experienced the absurdity of such rules being enforced with diligence across the country. Three knife-wielding burglars [guns are illegal in England] invaded a home in England, tied up the family members and threatened to kill the father. One of the members managed to escape and get help. The family member and the helper returned and inflicted permanent brain damage on one of burglars — a criminal, by the way, with more than 50 previous convictions — using a cricket bat. Authorities arrested the defendants — the victims — and sent them to prison for more than two years. The attacker? He escaped punishment.

Not exactly the truth. The family member and 'helper' didn't return to the house, they ran through the streets and beat up someone they thought the family member recognised as one of the burglars.

To be honest this is not a British article but an American one designed to fool people into thinking that in the UK it is other than it is, the purpose of this is to support their own views and put them forward to Americans. Therefore this is a political article, full of lies and propaganda. Believe it if you wish but you'd be a fool to.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personal Safety

this is from the Merseyside Police, advice on how to keep yourself safe not this part.
"If attacked, you can punch, kick or bite your attacker or use a perfume spray, walking stick or umbrella to fight them off and get away. Go for the sensitive parts of your attacker's body. Use as much force as you need to get out of danger, but no more."

So, you can use quite a few things, there's others as well not mentioned there, basically anything you have to hand. The police always emphasis 'getting away' that's important, you don't hang around. If you knock your attacker out, cause damage even kill them etc that's fine as long as it's proportional which is easy enough to work out and another poster has already mentioned it.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also your source is light on details and the one source it quotes is only talking abut self defence items you can buy, it does not talk about self defence in general.

You should really determine what is actually being conveyed in the article (as is the one who posted it) you are referencing, especially if it is second hand information, before posting it on here (or anywhere for that matter).

The OP has been taken to task numerous times for posting erroneous information and not bothering to validate the statements he makes. This time is no different than any of the others. Fortunately, there are any number of people on the forum that are willing to attempt to educate the OP since he seems determined to avoid educating himself.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not really news dude.

One if the impressions I've got from some of what's been said on this forum regarding Australia and self defense is that you can use self defense in Australia as long as you don't use weapons.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One if the impressions I've got from some of what's been said on this forum regarding Australia and self defense is that you can use self defense in Australia as long as you don't use weapons.

You can't carry a weapon for self defence. If there is one laying around you can use it.

The idea is you are not supposed to be walking around with the intent to hurt people.

Rayrob

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As Tez3 has implied this story is a load of nonsense. I live and work in LondonAnd I have used an object to defend myself from attack on two occasions, in my case a Mag-lite torch. Once the police were satisfied that I acted in self defence it wasn't even an issue. In the first instance there was CCTV and the second a couple of independent witnesses.

I think that it is perfectly reasonable not to be allowed to walk the streets armed with weapons, what a nightmare for the police that would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Have you considered looking to anything close to a reliable source… or even a partially credible one? This alarmist skewing of reality for shocks sake is really far, far beneath being given the moniker of "news"… or "accurate"… or "good writing".

The article may been bit misreading but was talking about weapons.

No where in any of the articles is it saying you could not use martial arts for self defense.

It just you cannot go to store and by gun for self defense. And guns have to be locked in safe.

To get gun for target shooting or hunting is red tape. Have to get approval why you want to own a gun and you must prove it, background checks, safety class, proper permits, two people must say you okay person to own a gun.

To own gun is really hard in Australia.

Quote You have to be a member of a target shooting club or a hunter and you have to prove it. For hunting, you can get written permission from a landowner who says you are hunting on his land. Or you can join a hunting club. Pistols [handguns], on the other hand, are heavily restricted. All applicants undergo a background check by the police and there is a mandatory 30 day cooling off period for all license applications, both long arms and pistols. Firearms safety training courses are mandatory as well.

Another part of the law that changed is that the police can come to your house and inspect your storage. When we renovated our house, I built a room dedicated to my firearms collection. They’re all in large safes. All the ammunition is stored separately to the rifles and the pistols
. Quote

What it’s Like to Own Guns in a Country with Strict Gun Control.

What it's Like to Own Guns in a Country with Strict Gun Control

It is even harder in the the UK.

OP
moonhill99

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What utter rubbish, complete and total nonsense.

In the UK you are allowed to defend yourself, you can even use a pre emptive strike if you feel your life is in danger and you can use weapons. All that is asked in law is that the force used is reasonable. You can certainly 'stand your ground'.

"The first thing that the government has done is banned a variety of sexual acts," and what the hell is that about...I suspect and I'm going to be looking into this further especially with the other site that those 'variety of sexual acts' mentioned is paedophilia.
If the OP is not only posting up nonsense about self defence but is using sites promoting paedophilia I think there will be repercussions.

Even the cops don't really have weapons self defense and shoot people armed with knife in the UK.

Just look at the many youtube clips of many officers dancing around on youtube throughing trash cans and any thing they can find at a suspects armed with non gun.

The UK police hardly shoot people armed with knife, stick or other weapon that is not a gun

There has been 55 police shootings in UK in past 24 years compared 640 people shot by police this year in the US.

The US average close to 1,000 people shot by police every year in the US.

And there been several people arrested just for threatening the bad guy breaking into your home in the UK. Not stabbing just threatening the bad guy with a knife.

The UK is not culture difference it is complete culture difference for both public and the police.

Read up on the retreat law vs stand your ground law. Read up on police officers getting arrested in the UK and Canada for shooting suspect armed with knife. Where courts saying the police officers should of moved out of harms way and called in Special response unit that could of tased the suspect or had police shield. Where normally courts say unless suspect walks or runs after the police officer shooting is not justified.

A complete culture difference. This would be joke in US public eye for even the liberals. Where you are armed and I tell you to drop it and you don't I shoot and case is closed.