Review and thoughts, please

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a link to a kenpo school in my area. I'd like a review from you kenpo folks on his site. Get a bad vibe? Get a good vibe? Everything seem alright? Thanks in advance.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the thing to do is go...take some lessons and draw your own conclusion.....I tell people don't sign any type of contract until you are 100% sure of what you're getting into...Personally, I don't like contracts...but if it saves you some cash...ok....
Nothing better than time in the art.....go takes classes and have fun! You'll know soon enough if you want to continue...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little verse at the beginning confuses me a bit, is it a spelling problem, a twist on words or what? it says his hands will bare him out, does he mean bear him out? sorry it's a bit picky I know but it caught my eye and I can't shake it off to look at the rest of the site lol! ( you know when you get a tune stuck in your head and can't get rid of it however much it annoys you ...it's like that)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KENPO KARATE is the most fiercest, brutal and practical of all the martial arts styles. Its history and lineage dates back centuries. Kenpo was design and created for WAR (period) In a time when war and battles were waging through villages and fields, It is a war art. (that is the tradition to our wearing of the Black Gi (uniform), it symbolizes death.
[...]
We teach the Tracy System of Kenpo

I would say that the web site raises some concerns in my mind.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that the web site raises some concerns in my mind.
I'd have to agree. I'm not a kenpoist... but I get kind of curious when someone "earns their black belt" a year or more before they reach "shodan (first degree black belt)."

What's bringing them up for you Letch?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
He certainly has a strong grasp of the Tracy style of color saturation.

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A lot of what is on thre seesm to come straight from the Tracy Site. Which makes it neither good or bad, I am just observing. Just know that what Tracy Schools teach is a bit different than what Ed Parker's American Kenpo (EPAK) teaches. Won't go into that here, there are plenty of threads that talk about this on the forum.
As far as having the "year wait" to receive your shodan; this sounds very similar to what some Modern Arnis schools do. You are given a probationary Black Belt first, then officially awarded your Black Belt later. Again, if you go to the Modern Arnis forum and look for probationary black belt you will find a discussion.
All in all, go check out the school yourself. It's the only way to know.

Brian Jones

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well....aside from the grammatical errors....lol

Master Dave Simmons was pretty well known and respected, even by non-Tracy kenpoist...not sure about Mr. Perez or his affiliation with Master Simmons.

The color scheme comment made me laugh...thanks CoryKS.

Anyway, the bottom line is you can't really judge the school or the quality of instruction by the website. Go in and get on the mat with them. Take it around the block and kick the tires, then make up your mind.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmmm... I find the presentation of the website to be unfortunate, including the loud color combos and stuff. That's personal taste.

I don't understand the distinction they are making between first black belt and shodan. In my experience in Tracy kenpo we have never made a distinction, and we use the Yudansha terminology of dan grades, and not first degree, second degree, etc. So why they are using both and expressing the thought that one would earn a black belt rank and then earn a shodan later, is a mystery to me.

That aside, I do know that Tracy Kenpo is an excellent system. However, like any system, there are excellent instructors and lousy instructors. I do not know these people, and I cannot judge them. They may be good, they may be lousy. Go try it out and see what you think. Based on the system, the potential is there for it to be excellent. Whether or not they are able to deliver the goods is another matter.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's a link to a kenpo school in my area. I'd like a review from you kenpo folks on his site. Get a bad vibe? Get a good vibe? Everything seem alright? Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for traditonal kenpo in the Tracy System then Mr Perez will fill the bill. I know that he has received training from one of the seniors in the Tracy system (Pat Munk) which should, in and of itself, be a pretty good endorsement.

He also seems to be moving in the direction that Mr Tracy is promulgating, i.e., Tai Chi, the restorative arts, yoga, etc. These aspects of the martial arts are meant to more fully develop the kenpo practitioner as a person--the warrior/scholar concept that is "talked about" so often.

Jim

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You have to assume that most MA websites are designed and maintained by professional artists. Martial artists, not graphic/multimedia artists. I do my own site, although I do get some input from my son who does this type or work professionally.

That said, you need to judge Mr. Perez and the instruction offered at his school by meeting Mr. Perez and receiving at least some instruction at his school. He teaches a solid system and has a solid, respected instructor. I have not run across any of Pat Munk's guys that do not know their stuff. The bottom line, no matter how good he is, is whether his style (of instruction) and methods have value to you.

The black belt/shodan thing...Tracy's follows the yudansha and uses -dan grading to indicate black belt ranks. Apparently, Mr. Perez issues a probationary black belt and requires some "time in grade" before issuing a full -dan grade under the authority of the yudanshakai. Not widely practiced in Tracy's, but not unheard of, either.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd have to agree. I'm not a kenpoist... but I get kind of curious when someone "earns their black belt" a year or more before they reach "shodan (first degree black belt)."

What's bringing them up for you Letch?

It's a pretty common practice in Kajukenbo and some of the Hawaiian Kenpo systems. A student is promoted to "student black" and does a probation of 1 year before receiving their 1st degree certificate.
Purpose is to instill in the student that the serious learning is just beginning and not ending at black belt.

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted this out of sheer curiosity. I remember the school from 5 or 6 years ago as a Universal Kempo Karate school. I noticed that the sign had changed and was curious what ya'll thought. Thanks for the input.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use the probationary black, or "student black" belt in my school too. It isnt that uncommon.

i dont like the website, BUT that doesnt mean the schoolisnt good. Try it out. Tracy kenpo is a dynamic, comprehensive style.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What bothers me is the claim
WE ARE THE ONLY ONE TEACHING TRADITIONAL KENPO IN VIRGINIA!!!

That is a large claim to make in a state the size of Virginia.

Also I see the head instructor claims rank in various systems but ccives no background on whom he studied with and ranks recieved

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also I see the head instructor claims rank in various systems but ccives no background on whom he studied with and ranks recieved

It was mentioned earlier that he recieved training from Pat Munk. I know Mr. Munk is legit, but I wonder to what degree he gave Mr. Perez "training?"

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I guess I'll have to defer to the opinions of the Tracy members who're more familiar with this guy, his school and his training history. As far as the probationary BB goes...some arts do use it. My Arnis group uses the prob. BB. IMO, I wouldn't get too hung up on that. Like I always say, its the skill that matters, not the belt. :)

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

To my knowledge, Tracy's is the only system that uses the phrase, "traditional kenpo" to describe what we teach. I could be wrong. But Mr. Perez and his student who owns the school in Hampton are the only Tracy's Kenpo schools in the state.

Was Mr. Perez the owner of the school when it was Universal Kempo Karate? Or has he moved into a location that just happened to be a studio in a past life?

OP
theletch1

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To my knowledge, Tracy's is the only system that uses the phrase, "traditional kenpo" to describe what we teach. I could be wrong. But Mr. Perez and his student who owns the school in Hampton are the only Tracy's Kenpo schools in the state.

Was Mr. Perez the owner of the school when it was Universal Kempo Karate? Or has he moved into a location that just happened to be a studio in a past life?
I'm fairly certain he was a UKKS instructor last time I was in that area. That was around 2003.

ackks10

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WOW!!! look at what we have become,i don't think we should be throwing people under the bus,because of his web site, or what he said about teaching kenpo in Virgina,now i don't know this guy,but i did know [FONT=Times New Roman, Times]Master Dave Simmons
(rip)
[/FONT] and i think that if someone has a problem with this person than ,,what is the saying go and "take the bull by the horns" and i have to agree with FC, about Tracy kenpo, that's what i started in back in 65,and as for the black belt and the shodan, well it is what it is,,

BTW the only way I would be upset with this guy is if he was not teaching kenpo ,but saying he was, now that's a horse of a different color.:jaw-dropping:

Latest Discussions