Rear leg vs lead leg (skipping) side kick - which is harder and which is supposed to be harder ?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't have to train the same technique on both sides. You can train different techniques on different sides.
I think all the basics kicks, strikes and blocks should be practiced to a competent useful level on both sides. This will make you solid in any situation. Then, we can have a favorite "tricky" move or two that works best on our strong side such as a spin kick or other move that might be just right for a particular situation.

If the opponent knows you can't throw certain moves from a certain side, he better knows how to enter on that side and not have to worry about defending that weakness. This allows him to devote more defensive attention to your other moves.

When the opponent knows you can throw various moves effectively from either side he must be twice as vigilant and will have more defensive choices to make, both of which reduces his reaction speed.

I am a strong believer in being "professional" and having strong basics on both sides.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
One aspect not yet mentioned vis vis training both sides and for that matter various striking surfaces (I.e. palm vs fist) is that if injury prevents the use of one the other is still available.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
One aspect not yet mentioned vis vis training both sides and for that matter various striking surfaces (I.e. palm vs fist) is that if injury prevents the use of one the other is still available.

I'm guessing that you can alert an examiner in advance that one side is compromised and still take a belt test?

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let’s do a test.. Can you tell based on the picture if this was a rear or lead leg side kick?

Should you be able to tell the way the body is configurated?

Attachments

• _20211021_185142.JPG
    _20211021_185142.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 92

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let’s do a test.. Can you tell based on the picture if this was a rear or lead leg side kick?

Should you be able to tell the way the body is configurated?
Hard to say but based on arm position I suspect it is a rear leg kick.
However, your hips are ranked over pretty good.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's at least partly correct.

Do you consider it a talent to do controlled explosive movement? I thought so at at first but not anymore..

You could argue explosiveness is a talent but balance is ascquired and also tied to flexibility, which is ascquired as well.

So basically, you can't get any other result than this if you have someone like me do it enough times.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you consider it a talent to do controlled explosive movement? I thought so at at first but not anymore..

You could argue explosiveness is a talent but balance is ascquired and also tied to flexibility, which is ascquired as well.

So basically, you can't get any other result than this if you have someone like me do it enough times.
I think some people can be taught easily. Some with more difficulty. And some are pretty much impossible to teach.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think some people can be taught easily. Some with more difficulty. And some are pretty much impossible to teach.

FWIW, GM Yeo did say when I was a beginner that there is potential. He even said :no,no you are good" I asked him how he knows when I'm a clueless beginner and he claimed to see it in the trajectory of the movements. I though it was a strange rationale, but now in retrospect, I think he was referring to to the concept of alignment.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, GM Yeo did say when I was a beginner that there is potential. He even said :no,no you are good" I asked him how he knows when I'm a clueless beginner and he claimed to see it in the trajectory of the movements. I though it was a strange rationale, but now in retrospect, I think he was referring to to the concept of alignment.
Sometimes we all tell little white lies just to be nice, or to encourage someone.

OP
I

InfiniteLoop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Btw, I don't care. It could have might as well been a postal worker saying it. I don't respect the ITF anymore than those guys. I'm past it.

Suffice to say, Dirty Dog can train another 50 years and he will still never develop my explosiveness. It wasn't taught. Nor was my control.

He likes to say it was because it validates his role more.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Btw, I don't care. It could have might as well been a postal worker saying it. I don't respect the ITF anymore than them. I'm past it.

Suffice to say, Dirty Dog can train another 50 years and he will still never develop my explosivenes. It wasn't taught. Nor was my control.
I'm happy to hear that you don't think I'll ever kick like you do. Thank you.

Latest Discussions