Front splits: Flexibility Required in Front Leg Vs. Rear Leg

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In order to do a front split (one leg in front, one leg behind), how much flexibility is required for the front leg versus the rear leg? Would you say front split is 50/50%?

I am curious to hear from anyone who has developed the front split over time, whether the training was more for the front leg, more for the rear leg (hip for instance) or both.

I don't mean to start a debate about the relevance of the front split for TKD, just to ask about stretching the front leg vs the rear.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
In order to do a front split (one leg in front, one leg behind), how much flexibility is required for the front leg versus the rear leg? Would you say front split is 50/50%?

I am curious to hear from anyone who has developed the front split over time, whether the training was more for the front leg, more for the rear leg (hip for instance) or both.

I don't mean to start a debate about the relevance of the front split for TKD, just to ask about stretching the front leg vs the rear.

I would say that I developed both equally. The best way to achieve a front split is by practicing a front split (PNF contractions help). Rather than try to isolate muscles to stretch, just do a front split stretch.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, to achieve flexibility equal to a front kick is rather easy, so I'd say work on the rear extension.

However, both go in conjunction

and just because you can do the split with, say, the right leg in front does not mean you can do it with the left as well (so practice both sides, and more so on the weaker/stiffer side!)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife can do a full front split and I can do it to about 95%. We both just discussed it and felt the front leg needs more work to be able to do it. But thats just our opinion.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Rather than try to isolate muscles to stretch, just do a front split stretch.
Thanks. I see many videos on front splits where the person stretches the front leg (hamstrings) then rear leg (hip flexors), then after going back and forth finally does a front split stretch. That's what got me thinking about front vs rear leg.